Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop/Rudder Issue

I took my 2001 Wakesetter VLX out into my inland lake.  The channel to my HOA marina is less than the required 18" draft and I hit the sandy bottom.  The engine died.  I was able to restart the engine but could not propel forward or backward.  After towing it in and putting it up on the lift I found considerable fishing line tangled on the prop (maybe unrelated) but the bigger issue is the prop is now wedged up against the rudder and will not turn.  I'm relatively handy and would like to fix this myself but a search of google and this forum has turned up nothing.  Any suggested fixes are greatly appreciated. 

Just want to enjoy the upcoming summer while in quarantine.  Thank you.

For a prop to wedge against a rudder, you'd have had to have bent some stuff rather badly, unless your rudder is spun around backwards.  Can you post a pic?  Were you pulled off the sandbar backwards by chance?

formulaben
15 hours ago, Bpbeaty said:

Not pulled backward.  Rudder appears to be correct. Can't figure how to attach a pic.  Only one I have is a jpeg from my phone.

Email it to me, I'll post it.  formulaben at gmail  dot  com

Yes, very curious how the prop could be touching the rudder.

1 minute ago, formulaben said:

Yes, very curious how the prop could be touching the rudder.

Unless the shaft broke or all the coupler bolts broke, I can't think of a way that could happen

41 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Unless the shaft broke or all the coupler bolts broke, I can't think of a way that could happen

This is what I am thinking, if the prop is indeed touching the rudder.  It either broke, or the shaft managed to slip out of the yoke that attaches it to the VDrive.  If the shaft slid backwards, that would have screwed up the shaft seal, so there would probably be a considerable amount of water in the bilge.  And the shaft would probably be loose/wobbly.

None of this is likey if you hit a 'sandy bottom', at least not at a low speed.

Count me as very curious as to what happened here.

1 minute ago, kylesullens said:

This is what I am thinking, if the prop is indeed touching the rudder.  It either broke, or the shaft managed to slip out of the yoke that attaches it to the VDrive.  If the shaft slid backwards, that would have screwed up the shaft seal, so there would probably be a considerable amount of water in the bilge.  And the shaft would probably be loose/wobbly.

None of this is likey if you hit a 'sandy bottom', at least not at a low speed.

Count me as very curious as to what happened here.

Sometimes there are rocks in sandy bottoms , but I'd expect to see that on the prop.  This is where a picture would be handy

Edited by oldjeep

I think Kyle is right that the shaft slipped back to the rudder.  There was considerable water in the bilge.  Photo below.  Any advice is appreciated.

url%5D