Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop question.

isellacuras

I’ve been running the 1235 for a long time and it has well for me. I keep adding weight and now it’s starting to struggle a bit when I have a full load and a few people. Thinking of going with a more aggressive prop. Will a 2277 be an upgrade in torque over the 14 1/2” 1235?  I was kind of leaning toward a 2247 based on the prop finder info on wakemakers site as the mid grade recommended prop. I run a lot of weight but not totally slammed. Wondering about the 2277 being an upgrade since there’s one for sale for a reasonable price compared to a new 2247. 

If it's struggling, you need to step down in pitch.  A step up in diameter is effectively a step UP in pitch not down.  Just stepping up in diameter is going to make it even harder to get out of the hole.

On your boat (with 1.5:1 tranny) I'd suggest a 2315.  a 2775 is slightly less aggressive (12.5 vs. 12 pitch) but I've never tried one.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

If it's struggling, you need to step down in pitch.  A step up in diameter is effectively a step UP in pitch not down.  Just stepping up in diameter is going to make it even harder to get out of the hole.

On your boat (with 1.5:1 tranny) I'd suggest a 2315.  a 2775 is slightly less aggressive (12.5 vs. 12 pitch) but I've never tried one.  

Thanks SD. I’ve considered the 2315 but I still ski quite a bit and what I’ve heard is that 35ish Mph is wide open. I was hoping to find something in between the 1235 and 2315. That’s why I was originally thinking 2247. I have heard that the 15” props tend to hold speed better wakeboarding. I haven’t thought or researched much about props since the 1235 has worked out well for me up until recently. Just want a little more grunt. Not a torque monster/surf only prop. 

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

2775 might be your jam then. How fast do you ski?  I’d guess you’d get 38 out of a 2315. 

32. I’d be happy with 38 out of a 2315 but I was expecting  or assuming less. I might just give a 2315 a shot and see how it does. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:59 PM, isellacuras said:

Thanks SD. I’ve considered the 2315 but I still ski quite a bit and what I’ve heard is that 35ish Mph is wide open. I was hoping to find something in between the 1235 and 2315. That’s why I was originally thinking 2247. I have heard that the 15” props tend to hold speed better wakeboarding. I haven’t thought or researched much about props since the 1235 has worked out well for me up until recently. Just want a little more grunt. Not a torque monster/surf only prop. 

no, wide open on my a20 is 42, 5000 rpm is 40 with 2315

this is with 2 people snd 700 lead with no water or wedge

35 sounds like a 2419 or oj945

@shawndoggy recommended the 2315 to me snd when under big load you will get better fuel performance

to save fuel cruising with teo people and 700 lead  i cruise at a slow 3000-3100 rpms

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

no, wide open on my a20 is 42, 5000 rpm is 40 with 2315

this is with 2 people snd 700 lead with no water or wedge

35 sounds like a 2419 or oj945

@shawndoggy recommended the 2315 to me snd when under big load you will get better fuel performance

to save fuel cruising with teo people and 700 lead  i cruise at a slow 3000-3100 rpms

I went with the 2419. Haven’t been out with it yet. 

11 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I went with the 2419. Haven’t been out with it yet. 

its a no limits prop like the oj945, those two look like dinner plates instead of salad bowls

you will have a top end of 36- 38 at 5000

14 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

its a no limits prop like the oj945, those two look like dinner plates instead of salad bowls

you will have a top end of 36- 38 at 5000

I’m ok with 36-38. I don’t get there anyways other than to clean things out every once in a while. We ski 31-32 maybe 10% of the time and cruise at 30ish to get to our spots so I think it should be good. I was worried about the 2315 because my buddy just got one for his 2019 23LSV and he’s turning 5k at 30. Seemed high. I try to stay under 4K except when needed. Time will tell. Hoping to get out tomorrow and check it out. 

11 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I’m ok with 36-38. I don’t get there anyways other than to clean things out every once in a while. We ski 31-32 maybe 10% of the time and cruise at 30ish to get to our spots so I think it should be good. I was worried about the 2315 because my buddy just got one for his 2019 23LSV and he’s turning 5k at 30. Seemed high. I try to stay under 4K except when needed. Time will tell. Hoping to get out tomorrow and check it out. 

On a 19 it's the wrong prop for sure because of the greater gear reduction in the transmission on the 19.  On your boat I still bet you can scratch 40 at redline with a tailwind and an empty gas tank (and definitely so if you add a bit of cup later on).  Difference between 2419 and 2315 (and 2313 for that matter) is just cup.  So if you don't like your top end you can always add more cup to bring top end rpms down a bit.  shouldn't impact your holeshot either way.  Cruising at 30 isn't gonna work with a 2419 tho... unless you don't mind running high rpms. To keep it under 4k, cruising speed is probably going to be reduced to 25-26.

2419 worked out well. I lost about 2mph on top so wide open full of fuel in some chop I hit 38.5. 4000 rpm I’m about 29. Not god verified. Boat worked waaaaaay better when loaded down. I’m happy with it. 

• Like 2