Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My buddy drove my boat 20 ft from shore and grazed lake bottom

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for reading this.

I was surfing behind my boat while my buddy was driving. I was focused on the wave and not how close he was to shore. All the sudden I noticed water turning brown and I crashed. I stood on my feet as I was in about 4 ft of water. I looked up and we were about 20 ft from shore. The prop hit the bottom of the lake. The wedge was down and scraped a little bit. See pics. Everyone in the boat felt the scrape. This was my buddies second time driving the boat and I told him the first time he drove it to always stay at least 50 ft from shore. I took boat to dealership to have them fix it. Boat is 2018 Malibu MLX I bought brand new last year. What do people say about asking buddy to help pay? Is that proper  etiquette for me to ask him? Or just let him if he offers? Thank you for any advice. 
*also my insurance deductible is $1250 and they said prop hits in water should be covered. But I haven’t got estimate from dealer yet. 

0C1B76D8-F125-4DE8-903E-7125E5A42678.jpeg

651C03A4-C527-4C8D-A752-38902A12405B.jpeg

522FC36E-927F-47B4-8BE9-05315CFFA16E.jpeg

0E279001-91CE-4CE6-8218-AF8CFBAA3269.jpeg

6050D339-9307-4F00-9CFE-450417ACBEFE.jpeg

Edited by Josh7711
45 minutes ago, BrianTD said:

I did the same personally. Has anyone been able to remove the scratches from the wedge?

Was there any internal damage to the wedge or just cosmetic? 

I just called dealer and they said wedge was bent and needs to be replaced. Prop needs to be replaced. Wedge 3k and prop 800. Plus labor. Insurance deductible $1250. I’m not too familiar with marine insurance but does it matter if I buddy was driving or myself? Thanks 

10 minutes ago, 1107 said:

Prop rebuild may be possible.  Probably in the $300 range.  

Dealer said prop too bent and needs replaced. 

42 minutes ago, Josh7711 said:

I just called dealer and they said wedge was bent and needs to be replaced. Prop needs to be replaced. Wedge 3k and prop 800. Plus labor. Insurance deductible $1250. I’m not too familiar with marine insurance but does it matter if I buddy was driving or myself? Thanks 

Unless you have a really crappy insurance plan you will be covered even with someone else driving.

43 minutes ago, Josh7711 said:

Your insurance will likely subrogate the claim against the driver's insurance.  If you are getting numbers like this already I foresee the end cost to be north of 6-7K.

56 minutes ago, Josh7711 said:

You are insuring boat, not driver. 

1 hour ago, Josh7711 said:

What Buddy?  The one that was in the passenger seat when you had an accident?  :)

• Like 2

To answer the original question if you asked him to drive then its your responsibility. If he wanted to pay let him but if he doesn't and you force the issue you may not have anyone to drive for you in the future.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Based on how the dealer quoted your prop repair, I’d double check the wedge is really bent and not operating properly. 

It obviously works or he couldn't have raised it after the strike. I think the dealer is hoping to make a quick buck from the insurance company for swapping parts.

• Like 2

Have your buddy over for drinks, food whatever. Crap will happen. If not by him, then by you. Been there done that. I would not believe the dealer at this point to be moving towards the least expensive repair that works. They may say, replace with new to be new. I say, repair where absolutely necessary, leave alone what still works with 95% effectiveness. Prop may be repairable for way less that replacement new. Wedge may still work properly even if it is tweaked. Leave it be if it works properly . Better to keep your friends than have shiney new things. Maybe if wedge is still useable he may spring for prop repair. Let a prop shop yell you it it can’t be repaired.  

No, i wouldn’t ask my friend to pay for it. 

No, I wouldn’t accept the money from him if he offered. 

Id be shocked if that prop isn’t repairable. It doesn’t look that bad.  Nor does the wedge, and I’d also second guess the dealers diagnosis based upon what he told you about the prop. 

agreed that your dealer is trying to make an easy buck from your insurance company.  that will catch up with you eventually if you have another claim.  unless you have a close relationship with this dealer and trust them, bring the boat home.  props and wedges can be replaced easily. if you dont know how, this is your chance to learn.

as for your buddy - you choose who drives the boat and are responsible for the outcome.  personally, I never put an inexperienced person in the drivers seat, especially if I am in the water. if something goes wrong, you are completely helpless.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kylesullens said:

agreed that your dealer is trying to make an easy buck from your insurance company.  that will catch up with you eventually if you have another claim.  unless you have a close relationship with this dealer and trust them, bring the boat home.  props and wedges can be replaced easily. if you dont know how, this is your chance to learn.

as for your buddy - you choose who drives the boat and are responsible for the outcome.  personally, I never put an inexperienced person in the drivers seat, especially if I am in the water. if something goes wrong, you are completely helpless.

They said the wedge was bent a little bit and it’s a little bit loose. I felt it is slightly loose. What do you think? Should I take to another boat shop?

I feel a little different. I’d expect and accept some “help” from my buddy that was driving me. The good thing is I know my boat buddies and it wouldn’t even cross their mind to just say “good luck with that”. I know if I was driving someone else’s boat and made a bonehead move (I know it happens, has and will), I would pay for all damages without question. I break it I buy it. 
example: I recently rolled a buddies can am x3 doing donuts. All superficial scrapes on the door and roll cage/nerf bars,  a broken mirror and a couple pieces of plastic. If it were my rig, I would have replaced the mirror and the two pieces of plastic (if I couldn’t fix them good enough).  Might have cost a couple hundred bucks. I bought him new nerf bars, new plastics and a new graphics kit to the tune of $1600. It now looks better than when I rolled it. I don’t feel so bad about rolling it any more. I would have felt like poo if he thought of me every time he saw the damage that I did. He MIGHT even let me drive it again. Lol

Edited by isellacuras