Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Improve 25 LSV Wave

Raleigh

So this sounds a bit ridiculous, but I would like the wave to be better with a small crew. The right wave is sick as it is; crew of two. The left wave could use some work. Any ideas?

I would prefer not to use lead due to my trailering rig. I am a right wave guy so I definitely don't want to lose the great wave on that side as well. Also, I saw a couple threads where @The Hulk mentioned throwing a ballast bag in the cabin area (not the bow). I have the 550s in the back and am also considering upgrading those as well. I was considering a 1000 sumo straight sack, thinking it may fit in the walkthrough, but It's not wide enough. What size/shape would y'all recommend? Where to place?

Edited by Raleigh

I'll add that if lead is the best option, I could do lead. Not sure I want to go this route, but if it is truly recommended, I could be okay with it. 

38 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

I'll add that if lead is the best option, I could do lead. Not sure I want to go this route, but if it is truly recommended, I could be okay with it. 

Everything i have read is put some weight in the observers compartment. I have 400 lbs of leadwake bags to go in there when we get to the lake.

25lsv needs following

750-770s in rear not sure if wakemakers can verify the actual.. (IMO the 1ks are too much) no storage and will sink below SG. Or u can only fill 3/4  w/ 1ks and will also require bow weight not a fan..

1500lbs in cabin however I want to achieve. 1k bow triangle sac is great for when we have 2 or 3 in boat. Diminished returns for the hassle if large crew floor space is better than minimal better wave if ppl need to walk around etcc.

This setup does not need bow sac which I like for not having to be careful dipping nose. 

3rd pos. On wedge .

Golden.. can't mess it up and is same Everytime. Adjust speed as desired 10.8-11.3mph (gps) I like 11.2 unless bigger crew 11.3 is nicer 11.1 when there is larger headwind pulling u back.. turn down wind and bump to 11.3 if winds at your back. 

Ride 20-30ft back depending on rider weight and board.. enjoy. 

@asnowman does the weight in the observers compartment negatively affect the right side wave? I heard the 2017 and beyond had something that required more weight in that area. Thank you! 

@The Hulk Very helpful advice in here. Do you use lead as well? So you do use the bow bag some? Just not in the bow?  Is that the way to go? Which setup does not require the bow bag you mention? What rear bags do you have? 

Edited by Raleigh
1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

@asnowman does the weight in the observers compartment negatively affect the right side wave? I heard the 2017 and beyond had something that required more weight in that area. Thank you! 

@The Hulk Very helpful advice in here. Do you use lead as well? So you do use the bow bag some? Just not in the bow?  Is that the way to go? Which setup does not require the bow bag you mention? What rear bags do you have? 

I refuse Lead since I have very young kids on board at times water is safer and it can be eliminated as needed. 

I had left over triangle 1000 lb bow bag from old 23lsv, I like it in cabin floor because wide part gives slightly more weight towards the rear and the triangle Part towards the front. I can walk on it kids can walk on it provide some open area to walk.. I leave about one foot from the rear of the bag between the backseat so you can step there on the floor step on the bag and over to the front.. if I position the bag all the way to the back of the back seat so there's no space then it is too much weight in the rear and you would need bow weight.. 

however you do it the boat needs 14 to 1600 lb in the cabin between people or ballast to make the wave awesome do you need it no.. can you surf without it yes.. but is it good without..not awesome.. 

if we have six to eight people on the boat then we've accounted for that bow bag weight..and don't need it... It would be a little bit better with it but it's not worth the floor space.. when I had 18 people on the boat and one surfer it was the best wave ever.. was it that much better .. ehh.. not worth the gas money and limited ride time ha.. 

I had the 450 with 15" x 14.25 torque prop.. I just put on the 15 x 15.75 prop the 2277 and have not surfed yet but I can tell you from the cruising alone the RPMs are way down and the engine is much quieter with a little more load.. mid range cruise throttle  has some kick now! I'm curious to see how its surfs and lowers the RPMs... If there are 18 people on boat it may be slightly over propped but that's a never situation anymore so I think it's going to be perfect for us crew of 12 or less and or ballast.. at max.. haven't surfed yet with it but so far from 1hr of crusin the 2277 prop with 450 is much better. Will update on surf.. 

Typically I was in the 4-4.3k rpm with the 15x14.25 I'm hopping to be down to 3.9-4k now. 

I'm not convinced the larger props and steeper prop shaft angles on 2017+ models offset much performance difference.. their props/2:1 may be more efficient but angle is not.. 

Edited by The Hulk
10 hours ago, Raleigh said:

I don't know yet, but will report when i do. Probably going to be a few weeks through. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:51 PM, The Hulk said:

I refuse Lead since I have very young kids on board at times water is safer and it can be eliminated as needed. 

I had left over triangle 1000 lb bow bag from old 23lsv, I like it in cabin floor because wide part gives slightly more weight towards the rear and the triangle Part towards the front. I can walk on it kids can walk on it provide some open area to walk.. I leave about one foot from the rear of the bag between the backseat so you can step there on the floor step on the bag and over to the front.. if I position the bag all the way to the back of the back seat so there's no space then it is too much weight in the rear and you would need bow weight.. 

however you do it the boat needs 14 to 1600 lb in the cabin between people or ballast to make the wave awesome do you need it no.. can you surf without it yes.. but is it good without..not awesome.. 

if we have six to eight people on the boat then we've accounted for that bow bag weight..and don't need it... It would be a little bit better with it but it's not worth the floor space.. when I had 18 people on the boat and one surfer it was the best wave ever.. was it that much better .. ehh.. not worth the gas money and limited ride time ha.. 

I had the 450 with 15" x 14.25 torque prop.. I just put on the 15 x 15.75 prop the 2277 and have not surfed yet but I can tell you from the cruising alone the RPMs are way down and the engine is much quieter with a little more load.. mid range cruise throttle  has some kick now! I'm curious to see how its surfs and lowers the RPMs... If there are 18 people on boat it may be slightly over propped but that's a never situation anymore so I think it's going to be perfect for us crew of 12 or less and or ballast.. at max.. haven't surfed yet with it but so far from 1hr of crusin the 2277 prop with 450 is much better. Will update on surf.. 

Typically I was in the 4-4.3k rpm with the 15x14.25 I'm hopping to be down to 3.9-4k now. 

I'm not convinced the larger props and steeper prop shaft angles on 2017+ models offset much performance difference.. their props/2:1 may be more efficient but angle is not.. 

The 2277 prop is perfect for us at 200’ elevation. 

Thanks for all the great advice @The Hulk!

Thanks @asnowman and @The Hulk ended up buying the Wakemakers 770 PNP bags to replace my 500's and also went with the Straight Line Sumo Max 1175 & Max Flow Pump (1,175 lb) for the center of the boat. I held off on the bow ballast bag. After this thread and others I've noticed that when my wife and kids are in the bow and a buddy is surfing and me driving, emptying the bow tank helps the wave! Would never have thought of that before. Is there a market for the old FatSacs? I'd hate to have them sitting around not being used. Not sure what I would use them for. 

Edited by Raleigh
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:51 PM, The Hulk said:

So I ended up experimenting with what works for our boat (2016 25 LSV 450, surfing at 200’ elevation) and ended up with a 600 pound flat floor sac and a 450 walkthrough sac. Just added the 770 pnps as well. Two adults and two toddlers on boat. The wave is huge!

That said, the 2277 is not working well with that much weight. She has a hard time holding speed and just can’t get to speed with wedge vert or two click from vert. Its just feels weak.

@The Hulk what did you think of the 2277? I’m considering the 2247 or 2249 now for surfing. 

here’s a prop chart for comparison

2277 – 15” x 15.75” / .150
2279 – 15” x 15.75” / .105
2247 – 15” x 14.25” / .150
2249 – 15” x 14.25” / .105
2391 – 15” x 14.25” / .075
2773 - 15" x 13" / .105
2775 - 15" x 12.5" / .075
2313 – 15” x 12” / .150
2315 – 15” x 12” / .105
2419 – 15” x 12” / .075

Edited by Raleigh
22 hours ago, Raleigh said:

So I ended up experimenting with what works for our boat (2016 25 LSV 450, surfing at elevation) and ended up with a 600 pound flat floor sac and a 450 walkthrough sac. Just added the 770 pnps as well. Two adults and two toddlers on boat. The wave is huge!

That said, the 2277 is not working well with that much weight. She has a hard time holding speed and just can’t get to speed with wedge vert or two click from vert. Its just feels weak.

@The Hulk what did you think of the 2277? I’m considering the 2247 or 2249 now for surfing. 

here’s a prop chart for comparison

2277 – 15” x 15.75” / .150
2279 – 15” x 15.75” / .105
2247 – 15” x 14.25” / .150
2249 – 15” x 14.25” / .105
2391 – 15” x 14.25” / .075
2773 - 15" x 13" / .105
2775 - 15" x 12.5" / .075
2313 – 15” x 12” / .150
2315 – 15” x 12” / .105
2419 – 15” x 12” / .075

Shoot I haven't even surfed yet only cruise and 2277 has been great. I'm worried about weight as well hope to test

I had the 2247 or 2249 I can't remember now but it's 15x14.25 ill check which it was in day or two but that will take full ballast and 19 larger than normal passengers just fine! Never had a problem just a tad high on RPMs and cruise. But it was plenty

I was going to order a 15x15 custom at one point thinking happy medium if 2277 doesn't work. Now u have me worried for 1st surf run coming up this week hopefully.. 

What elevation are you??

Im at 965ft.

Edited by The Hulk