Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overhauling 2019 25LSV Stereo

Slurpee

I snagged this pick a bit ago of my test box so y’all could see these dimensions fitting under the helm and what they touched. Nothing. 

F2346CB9-A1F2-449F-A32C-D39D48E34B23.jpeg

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Those DSP amps look killer. Loving the high-tech build.

How do you plan to fasten the box in place? I always struggle with it.

Pictures later today. Basically just a couple supports screwed into the hull and the box screwed into them. 

6 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@Slurpee... I hate to break it to you, but your box looks a little leaky. 😬

I'll fix it with some paper mache! Should at least be as good as the factory system.

Edited by Slurpee
2 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

I'll fix it with some paper mache!

Ahhh, I shoulda figured you had a plan! 😂😂

jokes aside... that’s the best test box I’ve ever seen! Brilliant to make it see thru! I’m learning a lot here. Keep teaching us, Master Yoda! 

Edited by IXFE
1 minute ago, IXFE said:

Ahhh, I shoulda figured you had a plan! 😂😂

jokes aside... that’s the best test box I’ve ever seen! Brilliant to make it see thru! I’m learning a lot here. Keep teaching us, Master Yoda! 

Yoda? Hey Now. With the right hand trauma I'm at least worth a Luke or Anakin. :)

• Haha 3

Some install pics while I’m inside cooling off. 

you can’t see it in these photos but I just screwed through the box into those braces with a 8x1.5” screw and a 1” washer. Lots of marine silicon under the screw and washer. 

239B2747-3B45-45A8-AF00-27E3ABD844D0.jpeg

8C33E404-F57B-4869-A09C-684DD114540F.jpeg

• Like 3

Got the big box in. 
Kind of hard to see anything worthwhile. It fits nice though. And old spring suits are doing duty as an impromptu drip shield and padding to keep it sturdy in place without movement. 

A08C9451-CFC1-41D6-88D7-CEC2E09FDAE5.jpeg

DD03C416-D839-41B7-9718-FF59BA59C594.jpeg

A little public service announcement.  

If you slice your hand open on the saw and need to see the ER for a dozen or so stitches (no surgeries thank goodness).  Plan on about an $8k bill.  I've got a pretty nice Premium PPO plan so with deductible and 15% co-pay for an ER visit I'm $1600 out of pocket or so.

Figure the $700 for a Bosch jobsite tablesaw with some upgrades (because I'm a bored engineer) and you're looking at the cost of a nice Professional Cabinet Saw from SawStop that would have only cost $200 or so to reset the stop block and the blade.

So I'm converting before I screw up again. YMMV.

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

SawStop will not stop kickback. You’d still have the sliced and diced hand. J/S 😜

Stop kick back? Nope. Clear the blade when my hand touched it. Yup. J/S. By my math I’d have had that nick on my pad below the thumb and been clear. 

Edited by Slurpee
49 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

the ER for a dozen or so stitches (no surgeries thank goodness).  Plan on about an $8k bill. 

WOW!  That is insane cost.  Glad you are on the mend though and it could have been a lot worse.  I can only imagine the bill if you needed a neuro plastics guy or gal in there.

Dude! That's bad. Sadly it takes learning the hard way.

On a brighter note, I'm building a sub box for my boat, and got Duratex based on your recommendation. Loving it! Sure beats putting 15 coats of epoxy resin on it ha.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a long trip up river with friends last weekend in 100F+ heat I discovered the SDX2 could overheat and shutdown till cycled. Yes, shoving purses and towels Up against the amp board was the likely straw that broke the camels back.

But I didn’t like that they’d do it when playing nothing while we floated (ie no air flow anywhere). And I wanted to do something to keep luggage off the amps. 

And I’m bored this weekend. So behold. I’m almost done. Just to have to get the wiring (and maybe LEDs) done. Happily that part is inside in the A/C. Not the garage!

075EB3BE-2DE5-4C20-8D77-9DEE6A73E0F1.jpeg

14C901F4-1727-4F8C-8D61-BB884120B869.jpeg

0A18C25F-8A6A-492A-A0FD-C1776683B377.jpeg

C523FC0C-6AA1-4589-8BA0-F98435659CBA.jpeg

• Like 2
On 6/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, Slurpee said:

A little public service announcement.  

If you slice your hand open on the saw and need to see the ER for a dozen or so stitches (no surgeries thank goodness).  Plan on about an $8k bill.  I've got a pretty nice Premium PPO plan so with deductible and 15% co-pay for an ER visit I'm $1600 out of pocket or so.

Figure the $700 for a Bosch jobsite tablesaw with some upgrades (because I'm a bored engineer) and you're looking at the cost of a nice Professional Cabinet Saw from SawStop that would have only cost $200 or so to reset the stop block and the blade.

So I'm converting before I screw up again. YMMV.

Did your hand hit the blade? I did that years ago and looked into a sawstop, and didn't buy one.  I was not aware that they stop kickback too.  That would be nice.  My old garage door has a couple good dents in it from that.....

1 hour ago, asnowman said:

Did your hand hit the blade? I did that years ago and looked into a sawstop, and didn't buy one.  I was not aware that they stop kickback too.  That would be nice.  My old garage door has a couple good dents in it from that.....

No they don’t stop kick back. Kick back caught my hand and dragged it into the blade. I’d have still had my thumb cut but the rest would have been okay by the time the blade was cleared. 

Edited by Slurpee
8 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

No they don’t stop kick back. Kick back caught my hand and dragged it into the blade. I’d have still had my thumb cut but the rest would have been okay by the time the blade was cleared. 

Pro tip for ya, watch out for hole saws too.... ask me how i know.

42 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Pro tip for ya, watch out for hole saws too.... ask me how i know.

Yes sir. True! Used a 3” today. Clamps and blocks and the only thing my hand is doing is working the wheel on the press. Or is your story a hand drill? That’s an exciting combination. 

28 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Yes sir. True! Used a 3” today. Clamps and blocks and the only thing my hand is doing is working the wheel on the press. Or is your story a hand drill? That’s an exciting combination. 

Hand drill, before kids school, making circular cut outs for kids thanksgiving arts and crafts project for 3rd graders. Hole saw mandrel broke, saw went right into my left hand. i Saw another bone that morning, but somehow managed to miss everything important. 

Didn't have to do any dishes that thanksgiving!

Edited by asnowman
14 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Hand drill, before kids school, making circular cut outs for kids thanksgiving arts and crafts project for 3rd graders. Hole saw mandrel broke, saw went right into my left hand. i Saw another bone that morning, but somehow managed to miss everything important. 

Didn't have to do any dishes that thanksgiving!

It’s the little things that matter. Lol. Glad you are okay.