Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Code SPN 3051 FM 11

Hello all, I found a few references to this code during a search but none with a resolution. I have a 2010 Response LXI, Monsoon 350, 585 hours. It started throwing the above code last fall. I took it to the dealer and they found a couple problems, PCV valve and fuel pressure regulator, but code recurred during the first outing this year. They seem to be stumped. Has anyone had this code and come up with a real fix?

BTW, the boat runs fine, it doesn't go into limp mode, just very annoying alarm about every two minutes.

SPN 3051 FMI 11 Catalyst Inactive on Gasoline (Bank2)

So it is saying that your after cat o2 sensor on bank 2 is bad or your cat is bad.   Nothing you listed would have been a solution for that code.

If fuel pressure was high do you think excess fuel could have damaged the cat? I scoped the cat through the O2 sensor hole and it I could see no physical damage. What about an air leak?

5 minutes ago, tsholin said:

If fuel pressure was high do you think excess fuel could have damaged the cat? I scoped the cat through the O2 sensor hole and it I could see no physical damage. What about an air leak?

There are some diagnostics here.  I highly doubt that high fuel pressure would damage the cat.

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Indmar_09-10ECMmanualv1.2.pdf

You may want to swap the starboard and port rear O2 sensors to see if the code changes.  If you get a SPN 3050 FMI 11 after the swap, it is likely you have a bad sensor.  If you continue to get a SPN 3051, you may have a faulty catalyst or wiring problem.

Update on this issue. Turned out to be a bad post cat O2 sensor. Cleared the code and while running the boat on the trailer the other side failed as well (threw code SPN 3050 FM 11). Two new O2 sensors, odd they would fail so close together..........

FWIW I had code SPN 3050 cat inactive bank 1: FMI 11.  Had both catalytic converters replaced under warranty last week, along with new sensors. .  2018 23 LSV with 54 hours.  Tech noted that starboard was completely gone, port halfway gone.  

Edited by Leftlane

O2 sensors and the catalyst element is extremely sensitive to moisture.  If water is getting too far downstream in the wrong part of the exhaust system, it can case either of them to fail.