Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf board for everyone?

cayden1021

What's a good surfboard that everyone in my family could learn to wake surf with. My dad, brother and I are all around the same weight (175-190 lbs). Also have a younger brother around 120 lbs. Should we get him a smaller board or could we all learn with the same one? We are all pretty athletic but just getting into surfing.

I was in the same boat at the beginning of this season and Bought a Ronix Thrasher with a Marsh Mellow soft top.  Its the perfect beginner to intermediate board.  I have had 7 new riders learn to wake surf on this board and its been great.  I now need to buy an advanced board so we can all learn some better tricks!

I recommend the largest Hyperlite Broadcast. Its actually a great board as you advance in your skills as well. Its also super durable. My father and law parked his car on mine a few years ago over night. It's been fine ever since. Wild. I also purchased the Hyperlite Landlock and love that board as well. I am also an ocean surfer and both of those remind me of the ocean. Most of the better boards are made of less durable materials that will scratch and bubble in the sun. Just FYI. I'll eventually upgrade but probably end back up on these two. 

I second the vote for the Broadcast.  It's a durable board that will work for many riders.  Holds the pocket well and won't be so fast everyone gets dumped.  Good learner...and bonus it will fit in regular wake racks.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

CWB Tsunami along with hyper lite broadcast get a lot of love on here for a cheap, durable, good all around surf board.

I have a CWB Tsunami circa 2007 that is still one of the favorites on my boat. The Broadcast was the first board I bought about 2008-2009. I leave it at home because NO ONE likes it.

1 hour ago, Kojak said:

Everyone in our crew has learned on a Liquid Force Fish. It's a good beginner board. We had a Broadcast and didn't like it at all and sold it.

The Koal Fish is what what a lot of my crew learned on. Great board, but fragile. This board got trashed by a big guy trying to learn. It now sits on a shelf in the shop. I have a few boards now, pack them all and give the rider a choice or tell a beginner this is the one you get.  

Hyperlite Shim-Probably our most used board by beginner/ just above beginner/ Cruiser.

Hyperlite Time Machine, Gets used a little as well

CWB Tsunami  circa 2007 I bought used about 5 years ago for pennies- This board i used a lot. My 24 yo daughter has switched to this board since she lost 40 pounds. Now I need to buy her a board of her own.

Victoria Captain-My Board, Only two of us ride it now. It is loose my daughter loved this board as well until she lost all the weight. She is now in the 120-130 range.

Myself and my regular riders do not care for the surf style boards.

8 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

The Koal Fish is what what a lot of my crew learned on. Great board, but fragile.

Agree 100%.  It scratche sif you look at it the wrong way and I shuddered every time someone kissed the swim platfor with it.  But great fun.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Agree 100%.  It scratche sif you look at it the wrong way and I shuddered every time someone kissed the swim platfor with it.  But great fun.

Spend a buck fifty on a boat what the heck is a $200.00 used board for people to have a good time.:rofl::rofl:

Skip the Hyperlite Broadcast.  I have one and it is a good board to learn to get up on, but it is slow and heavy.  The Broadcast is a smooth board to ride and you would think it is great, until you try something different and faster.  Your opinion of that board will change real quick.  Shortly after I learned to ride without the rope I went to a Phase 5 Model X.  Very similar design as the Broadcast but much faster and lighter.  It is still a great board for beginners to learn on, but IMO, with some different size fins and or configurations, it is a good board to progress on and for experienced riders as well.  Even if you were to get the larger of the two Model X boards, it is probably still lighter than the Broadcast which will make it easier for your smaller riders to get up on as well as the bigger riders.  If you are looking for a one board fits all and not have to buy a new board all the time, check out the Phase 5.