Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torsions are way off

hawaiianstyln

I'm not even sure how I have never noticed this but starboard side wheels are definitely up in the fender more than I would like.  I thought it was a fender adjustment until I broke out the tape measure and also realized the fender only adjust side to side on my 2008 Boatmate.  In further investigation and taking off front left front right wheels, you can clearly see the starboard side torsion axles have been adjusted up into the fender and the port/left side are adjusted down and away from the fender  (port/left side is the correct adjustment).  Whomever had this boat before me must have adjusted the starboard/right side the wrong way and never realized either.  It's also not visible to me that the boat has a gangsta lean, which is why I never noticed.

For the life of me and 2 years supply of PB drenched all over, I can't get this spline to budge.  I followed a boatmate torsion adjustment video and I tried to open the C clamp over the spline with a metal wedge to loosen the metal, but maybe the male geared spline goes over a female spline and I have to remove the entire thing, then adjust?

starboard/right side  (low side) and pic of angle

right.thumb.jpg.c572fc99afaf2fc1bd1d7b1399b88835.jpgright2.thumb.jpg.17eb3ffce4d0892b519aeb64bc3ef0ed.jpg

Port/Left side (good side - correct height) and angle

left.thumb.jpg.f907ae05bb8b818999a33acbda0d55d8.jpgleft2.thumb.jpg.0bfd91a07761bcd4d9c32c570647cb22.jpg

3 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

You removed the bolt before trying to pull the arm off, yes?

Good point! There is probably a groove that he bolt goes thru to keep the spindle from sliding off even if the bolt is loose.

Edited by tbullard

Yep a groove and a lot of rust. I used a cold chisel to wedge in to the gap and open it up. They came off pretty easy after that. Clean up and grease the splines and the torsion arms will slide on no problem for reassembly.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, tbullard said:

Good point! There is probably a groove that he bolt goes thru to keep the spindle from sliding off even if the bolt is loose.

Not probably, definitely. ;)

I did remove the bolt and no groove for sure.  I was thinking there would be, but nope.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

I have re clocked an 2006 and 2012 trailer. I did need a BFH to get them moving but after initial movement it's not bad.

BFH = Big F'ing Hammer?  lol

I did spray down with PB for overnight soaking.  I will report back so others learn

Hope your torsion is not going bad. When mine did, it lets the wheel stick in the higher position. If you get it realigned and it does it again, your inserts in the tube are bad and new axles needed. Hope not.

• Like 1
Just now, dalt1 said:

Hope your torsion is not going bad. When mine did, it lets the wheel stick in the higher position. If you get it realigned and it does it again, your inserts in the tube are bad and new axles needed. Hope not.

If that happens, they can be welded solid till new ones are acquired.

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:31 AM, dalt1 said:

Actually you can visually see they didn't put the torsion arms back in the proper location to match the left side.  So I should be okay, just need to re-index. 

Anyone know if I need a puller or just hammer and tap them off with some heat if they are stuck

also  is it always a safe assumption to hook truck up to trailer when putting Jacks on all 4 corners on axles?  Last time I jacked the fronts up, the tongue wheel came off the ground.  kinda get nerves going when the only thing supporting the boat and trailer is 4 jacks suspended. 

5 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

also  is it always a safe assumption to hook truck up to trailer when putting Jacks on all 4 corners on axles?  Last time I jacked the fronts up, the tongue wheel came off the ground.  kinda get nerves going when the only thing supporting the boat and trailer is 4 jacks suspended. 

I'd put the jackstands under the frame not the axles. 

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:31 AM, dalt1 said:

actually I see what you mean disregard my earlier reply.  Hopefully it is not the rubber inserts inside the torsion axle. 

11 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Did you get them off and adjusted? I Had to use the big persuader on my 06 but my 12 was cleaner and was able to wiggle them off without The BFH.

My buddy is going to take them off at his shop next Friday and level the whole thing properly.  I will let you know.

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:23 PM, dalt1 said:

Did you get them off and adjusted? I Had to use the big persuader on my 06 but my 12 was cleaner and was able to wiggle them off without The BFH.

just circling back around on this.  The torsions were failing.  I have another thread on that.  Anyways, I just finished getting the new warrantied axles back on and was almost positive I indexed the torsion arm and wheel assembly exact/uniform on all 4.  My measurement with 15" rims from ground to fender is 27" with nice clearance on the starboard side.  However, the port side measured at or near 26.5".  I must be off a tooth since each tooth is .5".  sucks that these torsion splines do not have any markings so I know where MFG placement is exactly.  I think Dexter wants about 2.5" of clearance from top of tire to fender.  I know others lower for the garage height issues.  I have an 8' door so plenty of room.  Looks like i'm going to have to adjust the port side again by re-indexing to get the trailer exactly level.  Should be easy tho since all axles/wheel assemblies (Vault Rotors/hubs/calipers/torsion arm) are all new and no rust yet.

Edited by hawaiianstyln
6 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

just circling back around on this.  The torsions were failing.  I have another thread on that.  Anyways, I just finished getting the new warrantied axles back on and was almost positive I indexed the torsion arm and wheel assembly exact/uniform on all 4.  My measurement with 15" rims from ground to fender is 27" with nice clearance on the starboard side.  However, the port side measured at or near 26.5".  I must be off a tooth since each tooth is .5".  sucks that these torsion splines do not have any markings so I know where MFG placement is exactly.  I think Dexter wants about 2.5" of clearance from top of tire to fender.  I know others lower for the garage height issues.  I have an 8' door so plenty of room.  Looks like i'm going to have to adjust the port side again by re-indexing to get the trailer exactly level.  Should be easy tho since all axles/wheel assemblies (Vault Rotors/hubs/calipers/torsion arm) are all new and no rust yet.

before you go through all the trouble to re-index, make sure the boat isnt causing the difference.  Being shifted a little left or right could be what you are seeing.  I would drop the boat in the water and see what the measurements are unloaded as a reference point. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Texan32 said:

before you go through all the trouble to re-index, make sure the boat isnt causing the difference.  Being shifted a little left or right could be what you are seeing.  I would drop the boat in the water and see what the measurements are unloaded as a reference point. 

ahhhh good point!  I will do this tomorrow and measure after I launch

2 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

ahhhh good point!  I will do this tomorrow and measure after I launch

dont get me wrong, the boat could be shifted a little.  The boat could be a little heavier on the port side.  The spindles could be a tooth off.  All are possibilities.  But 1/2" wouldnt be enough for me to immediately start battling the spindles again. 

20 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

dont get me wrong, the boat could be shifted a little.  The boat could be a little heavier on the port side.  The spindles could be a tooth off.  All are possibilities.  But 1/2" wouldnt be enough for me to immediately start battling the spindles again. 

Easy job now that he is familiar with the process and parts are new. I would have to level it.

• Like 2