Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon Sub Placement Closed Bow

nickgatchell

Trying to figure out where to mount a subwoofer in my enclosed bow echelon. Seems like I’m out of locations. Would like to use under the driver dash, but the panel separating the enclosed area under the bow and the footwell is small. Also the footrest comes up leaving little space. 

For background I currently have dual kicker amps to run 4 tower speakers and 4 in boat speakers. The plan is to get a larger 6 channel amp to replace one of them to power 4 speakers and a sub. 

I have a Basslink powered sub under my dash, it is tight but it fits and sounds great.  So it is definitely feasible.  Are you building a sub enclosure or buying one?  

4 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I have a Basslink powered sub under my dash, it is tight but it fits and sounds great.  So it is definitely feasible.  Are you building a sub enclosure or buying one?  

You have an LX though. The under dash area is probably completely different. Can you share a pic?

As far as enclosures go, I’m not sure yet. Just trying to get some ideas. 

Edited by nickgatchell
2 minutes ago, nickgatchell said:

You have an LX though. The under dash area is probably completely different. As far as enclosures go, I’m not sure yet. Just trying to get some ideas. 

Actually I think it is identical, I had a closed bow 94 Echy and, although I did not measure it, I recall it being the same.

Edit: I don't have a current pic, but here's where the original speaker was, you can sort of see the depth of the footwell.

Stereo speakers 006.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder

I have a closed bow echelon. I have a 12” sub in a small box in the hatch right in front of driver 

Edited by Okladadadam
39 minutes ago, Okladadadam said:

I have a closed bow echelon. I have a 12” sub in a small box in the hatch right in front of driver 

You have it under the bow in the storage compartment? 

I had a '93 Echelon that had a custom box that was built in place in the bow. It was offset to the driver's side since there was a fat sac that was as close to the center of the boat as possible (running from the bow eye to the sub enclosure). I don't have any pictures, and I bought that boat used so I don't have firsthand knowledge of how the enclosure was built. When I asked about it I was told that it was built outside the boat based on measurements, then it the parts were assembled (glued and screwed) under the bow. It was never designed to come out. The base of the enclosure was screwed to the floor so it wouldn't move.

The tight space of the enclosed bow of an Echelon is one of the few places that a custom box makes more sense than a prefab box, unless you're going to reassemble the prefab in there. Avoid any pressed wood, I'd only use cabinet grade plywood with a significant application of something to waterproof it (bedliner). An enclosure is going to sound much better than any free-air mounting.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, nickgatchell said:

You have it under the bow in the storage compartment? 

Yes I do. When I lay stuff out to dry today I will take pictures 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Restarting this thread... anybody that can share info would be awesome. I'm trying to figure out where to place a sub and not take away all of my storage under the bow. 

I don't know the bow config of an echelon specifically, but there is space for a sub in front of the drivers foot rest on most of these boats.

If you think of the bow as a big triangle with a divider in teh middle you have the whole drivers side to work with without impacting storage.

I've previously put a 12" in a sealed box in the drivers side of closed bow Mastercraft Prostar 190.  

I would crawl under there with a tape measure, and start looking at prefab boxes on amazon.  I often build cardboard mockups of the boxes avaialbe to confirm fit before ordering.  A sealed 10" under there should be easy to make fit. 

Good luck.  

8 minutes ago, dhcomp said:

I don't know the bow config of an echelon specifically, but there is space for a sub in front of the drivers foot rest on most of these boats.

If you think of the bow as a big triangle with a divider in teh middle you have the whole drivers side to work with without impacting storage.

I've previously put a 12" in a sealed box in the drivers side of closed bow Mastercraft Prostar 190.  

I would crawl under there with a tape measure, and start looking at prefab boxes on amazon.  I often build cardboard mockups of the boxes avaialbe to confirm fit before ordering.  A sealed 10" under there should be easy to make fit. 

Good luck.  

Right on! Right now I have both amps on the floor in the bow. I'm thinking I'll have to make up a rack for them to create the space. I wish I could use the divider between the driver footwell and the bow, but it's not a complete piece from top to bottom.

I'd either rebuild the divder and mount them there, or anchor the sub box well and mount right to the box.

We see lots of fancy installs out there.....but it doesn't have to be the standard for all.  As long as it's installed and anchored well, doesn't necessarily have to be pretty if wired right.  

I have a 12" sub in a small truck box right there but on the inside bow storage.  It doesn't take much room. And it's an echelon too