Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T22 trouble getting to surf speed

sailorcoug

Hey guys, 2020 T22 owner here. I've put about 15 hours on her, mostly surfing and love it!

Took it out on a new lake yesterday, which is only about 10 ft deep on average. The surf wake was amazing, but had a little trouble getting the boat to go faster that 10.5 with full ballast and plug and plays. Do you think it's the depth of the lake that caused the issue? Should i just drain a bit from each rear sack?

Do you remember if there was a difference in your RPM’s at surf speed. Just a thought but if you were displacing more water than that depth could support, you could be getting prop slip. 

Was there a big altitude difference?

more than likely you have the larger bags in the back and the front bag is not big enough. Also what wedge setting where you running, lower number will help. You might need to either add more weight (people / lead) in the front or remove move weight (empty ballast / less wedge) in rear. 

17 hours ago, sailorcoug said:

Hey guys, 2020 T22 owner here. I've put about 15 hours on her, mostly surfing and love it!

Took it out on a new lake yesterday, which is only about 10 ft deep on average. The surf wake was amazing, but had a little trouble getting the boat to go faster that 10.5 with full ballast and plug and plays. Do you think it's the depth of the lake that caused the issue? Should i just drain a bit from each rear sack?

I would like to see a picture of that.  I'm on a lake that's mostly 10' average and I keep my 22 VLX at a different lake because my wave disappears at 13' or less in depth.  I keep my RLXI here and my VLX at our rental property that's 15 minutes away for that reason alone. 

12 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I would like to see a picture of that.  I'm on a lake that's mostly 10' average and I keep my 22 VLX at a different lake because my wave disappears at 13' or less in depth.  I keep my RLXI here and my VLX at our rental property that's 15 minutes away for that reason alone. 

10ft is enough for a surf wave. Depending on what he is comparing it do, might be why he thinks its amazing. 10ft is def eough to get a T22 / A22 a good surfable wave. 

8 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

10ft is enough for a surf wave. Depending on what he is comparing it do, might be why he thinks its amazing. 10ft is def eough to get a T22 / A22 a good surfable wave. 

That's seemingly not the case with our 22 VLX.  Perhaps it's a weight issue in that shallow of water?  Not sure.  I'll have to play with it next time I'm that shallow.  Generally speaking, we are surfing in depths between 20-60' on the lake where we keep the VLX.  It's in my driveway now, so I may throw it in this lake and see what happens.  

My lake averages 8-10 ft even dropping to 6ft.  We surf behind the VTX all the time.  Not a great wave, but surfable.  When we go to a deep lake it just gets so much better.  I am 6' and 235 pounds.  Even on the girls Phase 5 skim I can stay behind. 

14 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

20-60 would be ideal.

my lake is 10ft - 17ft 

and the minute you hit 9 the wave is gone. 

bingo, the second it breaks ten!

I'm going to taker her out this evening. I'll snap some pics of the wake at 10 ft depth and post them tomorrow!

5 hours ago, Slayer said:

That's seemingly not the case with our 22 VLX.  Perhaps it's a weight issue in that shallow of water?  Not sure.  I'll have to play with it next time I'm that shallow.  Generally speaking, we are surfing in depths between 20-60' on the lake where we keep the VLX.  It's in my driveway now, so I may throw it in this lake and see what happens.  

On 5/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, Slayer said:

Didn't get great pictures from last night, but we pulled the wedge completely up and ran full bow ballast +2 passengers in the bow and 80% rear sacks and had a great time! Excellent wake. Was perfectly surfable for all experience levels. We had our friends who own a '15 mastercraft and they were blown away by the wake. 10 foot water is the key. 9 was tough and 8 was impossible. Starboard wake was 10/10 and port was 9/10 compared to a deeper lake. I was able to surf with no rope for 2-3 minutes at a time, and my friends with more experience stayed in the wake as long as they wanted! Thank you all for the help!

1njivrH.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

add 400lbs of lead under the bow ballast bag. (this is what i do)...and i still dont usually load the rear bags 100% for surfing as i have a T23 and the bags are massive.