Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6di high altitude / torque prop

sbaird4000

I have a 23 lsv with the m6di on order and optioned it with the high altitude / torque prop because my dealer stated that they order all their boats with that prop. I wanted the m6di even though the dealer told me the m5di would be fine. Buy once cry once, ha. My lake is at roughly 300 feet above sea level and I do plan on running a bit of additional lead in the boat. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the m6di and the high altitude / torque prop? Am I making the right decision or should I see if they can swap it for the standard prop? I’m pretty sure my build hasn’t started yet. Thanks.

Edited by sbaird4000

I think you’ll be happier with the standard prop if your boat comes with the M6. That will drop RPMs quite a bit from the torque prop.

My guess is they’re ordering torque props standard because of boats with the M5. I’d even be tempted to play with the speed prop option on an M6 23 LSV, if the dealer was willing to swap a couple times.

• Like 2

The rpms were my main concern. We primarily surf but I’d like to have the confidence that if we decided to wakeboard the engine wouldn’t struggle with full ballast and a larger crew. At least that was my thought behind going with the m6 and the torque prop. The reality is, we surf almost 100% of the time so I’m not sure as though I’ll need the torque prop.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, NWBU said:

I think you’ll be happier with the standard prop if your boat comes with the M6. That will drop RPMs quite a bit from the torque prop.

My guess is they’re ordering torque props standard because of boats with the M5. I’d even be tempted to play with the speed prop option on an M6 23 LSV, if the dealer was willing to swap a couple times.

I agree with this. With the 2:1 transmission and 17” prop the M6 is going to be a total torque monster. My guess is you are going to be over propped with the torque prop. 

The m6 in a 23lsv will not struggle for wakeboard speeds, it will just run a little higher rpms. 

We have the m6 and torque prop on our 25lsv, but I would be interested to try a different prop on ours, even though it has not struggled at wakeboard speed. We never really loaded it last year though. 

The standard prop is the Acme 3077 (17x15.5)

The speed prop is the Acme 2805 (17x17) 

I have no idea what they are calling the torque prop these days. 

I spec’d my 25 LSV with the 2805, and I’m pretty stoked on it. Surfing fully loaded at 3000-3200 rpm is fantastic. This engine is whisper quiet down that low. And there’s plenty of throttle left, even surfing “fast” at 11.4 mph. 

No way would I go with the torque prop. Honestly, at 300’ elevation you should consider the 2805 (speed prop). Of course, Malibu will ding you $285 for it. So if you plan to buy a spare prop anyway, maybe consider the “free” 3077 and buy the 2805 later. Then swap and use the 3077 as the spare / high altitude option. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, IXFE said:

No way would I go with the torque prop. Honestly, at 300’ elevation you should consider the 2805 (speed prop). Of course, Malibu will ding you $285 for it. So if you plan to buy a spare prop anyway, maybe consider the “free” 3077 and buy the 2805 later. Then swap and use the 3077 as the spare / high altitude option. 

I didn't mention it above since it's a different boat but the local Nautique rep specs all of his G23s for this area with the 2805 (17x17), and our elevations are similar. Similar GM powerplants and 2:1 transmissions too.

I was the same as dlb and ordered M6DI with both props to ensure a 17inch spare . 90% surfing and plenty of running 10km across the lake. After an initial test of both I have ever taken the torque prop off again. You can never have too much push when surfing or wakeboarding especially carrying plenty of ballast and people.

My 23 w/M6 runs the 2085. I’ve found the lower RPMs and better fuel efficiency works perfectly fine for our use at 700’.

@Slurpee and I have done several prop tests every year comparing different props and boats. He has all that data. He should chime in here when he gets this notice and give some hard data for you.

Thanks for the feedback! My build lists the torque prop as 17 x 14 - 1773. I’ll have to ask my dealer what the standard prop is. I’m thinking the standard prop may be the route I want to go even though we rarely ever go above 30 mph even when traveling from one area to another on the water. Lower rpms and fuel efficiency makes more sense in our situation.

35 minutes ago, sbaird4000 said:

Thanks for the feedback! My build lists the torque prop as 17 x 14 - 1773. I’ll have to ask my dealer what the standard prop is. I’m thinking the standard prop may be the route I want to go even though we rarely ever go above 30 mph even when traveling from one area to another on the water. Lower rpms and fuel efficiency makes more sense in our situation.

Standard prop is 3077 (17 x 15.5). I ran that prop last year on my 19 25 LSV. I also ran it on my 17 25 LSV. It was fine. No issues.  But I sure am enjoying the lower rpm’s of the 2805. 

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

I spec’d my 25 LSV with the 2805, and I’m pretty stoked on it. Surfing fully loaded at 3000-3200 rpm is fantastic. This engine is whisper quiet down that low. And there’s plenty of throttle left, even surfing “fast” at 11.4 mph. 

Can the 23lsv or 25lsv fit the 18" prop like the A24 can? 

@sbaird4000, some dealers are still preaching old lessons with respect to the new props.  Back when these things were less than 15" in diameter and tranny ratios were smaller there was less blade area to grab the water.  We all sank our boats nearly so it took a fair bit of prop to grab enough water and move them.  They all learned that lesson, but not all have upgraded their thinking.  Or they just don't want people coming in and complaining (after mis-loading the weight in their boat) about the engine not being good enough or whatever.

Anyways, raw data plotted below.  I am now officially redacting my statement that the 3077 is a crappy prop.  It's not the prop I'd pick, but it's not awful.  It was based on a sample of one (which I said at the time), but since then I've gotten more data and I can only imagine something was wrong with that test.  Maybe some trash on the prop or it wasn't seated well or something.  So ignore the 23MXZ 3077 curves in the plots below above about 20mph.

What you'll see in the scatter plot is that the 2749 runs about 400rpm'ish more than the 2805.  These are well setup boats to.  Every boat got the slam test with full ballast and a launch to wakeboard speeds (but just a couple passengers) and they all did it.

What IXFE said was the most sense to me.  Take the STOCK 3077 on your order.  Then wait for a group buy or go purchase the 2805 for less than the dealer is going to charge anyways.  You'll have both and can swap if need be depending on your elevation and use cases. If you want it over with, then definitely get the 2805 on order.  

image.thumb.png.03f970754b263bb4b62f4c514f339548.png

image.thumb.png.a371b9559a0eb0dd8efb28135029cb9c.png

image.thumb.png.11702280c330644bc7af2fc6ea8f49be.png

• Like 2

My .02 cents.  I can't speak to which prop is better for your boat.  What I can agree with others on, you need a spare prop.  Speaking of that, I get to meet one of our local prop repair guys at lunch today:whistle:     I know we don't plan on these things but with a spare prop we had a working boat that same afternoon.  No spare prop and prop puller, full shut down.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Curious... for a 2019 (15") what is the speed prop for the M6 (on a 23) and anyone try it?

It would be the 2277, which I ran all summer on my 2019 with the PCM 6.0. Should be a great prop for your setup with the bigger M6.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Curious... for a 2019 (15") what is the speed prop for the M6 (on a 23) and anyone try it?

This is from Ronnie's 23LSV last year which was running the PCM.  Close as I can get.

image.thumb.png.55e292a64f6a3cbf696838eaa3e03a36.png

image.thumb.png.4803a1134770db915f56fd6016bc692d.png

For what it is worth I have been running the 2805 on a 2018 25 LSV (Raptor) for about 50 hours and it works well on the previous generation 25 LSV as well.   I moved from the 3077 and never looked back...

• Like 2
20 hours ago, IXFE said:

The dealer for my 23LSV calls the 2077 the torque prop and the 2805 the standard prop when the boat is equipped with the M6Di motor.

11 hours ago, NWBU said:

It would be the 2277, which I ran all summer on my 2019 with the PCM 6.0. Should be a great prop for your setup with the bigger M6.

thx.  Thx what I am running. So far pretty happy, always just curious if there is more "happy" that I don't know about:)

• 11 months later...

I find this thread interesting.  The 2021 23 LSV standard prop is an OJ 1778.  I ordered my boat with the standard prop and mistakenly ordered a 3077 as a back up.  Looks like I may need to try a 2805.  The 3077 is not bad, and I'm going to put the 1778 on and run some comparison to see what I get.  It may be that I have a barely used prop available for sale soon. 

In reading this I am slightly concerned about my choice for my m220. I got the 18 x 14 (3311) may be a bit too aggressive but, If all goes well, we will see in 3 weeks or so.