Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zero off issues

braindamage

My ZO is having difficulty finding and maintaining speed. I have it currently set at 34.2mph. It sometimes overshoots to 38+ and then goes down to 30 and then oscillates like it’s searching for the right speed, slowing and surging, over and over, etc.

I am running Rev Q. I did get 2-errors, but today it occurred and there are no errors listed.

errors: GPS1_fail and GPS_BadPos

i did battery “hard” reset a couple days ago, and it worked a couple times then it came back again. It’s intermittent, sometimes working, sometimes never finding speed, sometimes settling in after a few extra seconds.

I’ve sent 2-web support requests and 2-support phone messages and no response from Enovation (company that makes ZO). maybe they aren’t open? 

any ideas?

Sounds like a puck failure to me. Try switching them over (just unplug them under the dash and plug them back in sides switched). The dual puck ZO has one dominant puck and one for redundancy. I forgot which side refers to GPS_1. But might be worth a try. It should function with only one working puck.

What’s your GPS reception?
How many satellites are you locking in usually?

Before I upgraded my 2010 Response to the ECI single puck version (which I highly recommend BTW) I had trouble with the dual puck ZO. Sometimes I had only 2 satellites locked in. Resulted in bad times, inaccurate speed, mainly approaching the course and the pull felt weird sometimes. With the single puck there’s always between 19 and 22 satellites.

I think they changed over to a different GPS frequency that only works with the new style single pucks. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dual puck system is getting obsolete at some point and won’t catch any satellites anymore at all.

44 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

Sounds like a puck failure to me. Try switching them over (just unplug them under the dash and plug them back in sides switched). The dual puck ZO has one dominant puck and one for redundancy. I forgot which side refers to GPS_1. But might be worth a try. It should function with only one working puck.

What’s your GPS reception?
How many satellites are you locking in usually?

Before I upgraded my 2010 Response to the ECI single puck version (which I highly recommend BTW) I had trouble with the dual puck ZO. Sometimes I had only 2 satellites locked in. Resulted in bad times, inaccurate speed, mainly approaching the course and the pull felt weird sometimes. With the single puck there’s always between 19 and 22 satellites.

I think they changed over to a different GPS frequency that only works with the new style single pucks. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dual puck system is getting obsolete at some point and won’t catch any satellites anymore at all.

Did you do the upgrade yourself? If so, where did you get the cable for connection? ZO total lack of response has me worried about the upgrade in case something goes wrong.

ill try swapping the pucks.

Edited by braindamage

Tinus might have the cable.  Might also see if you can track down Brian Porter.  He's (or was) a long time Malibu promo rep on Stillwater lake in Dousman.  He might know where to find one.

ZO is kinda known for terrible cust service.

I was lucky to have a neighbor who got me in contact with Freddy Krueger.
Freddy helped me (he works for/with ZO) on the software side. All I had to do was removing the old pucks, plugging in the new single puck (it comes complete with adapter harness), mount the new puck, and Freddy did all the programming/updating with his laptop. Worked like a charm.

39 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Tinus might have the cable.  Might also see if you can track down Brian Porter.  He's (or was) a long time Malibu promo rep on Stillwater lake in Dousman.  He might know where to find one.

ZO is kinda known for terrible cust service.

I know Brian. I’ll ping.him.

On my 2010 with the LCR engine it was on the starboard side somewhere at the back of the engine. It is a black (of course ...lol...) rectangular connector that has a plug in it with no wire loom attached to.

It looks like a pretty easy install. The harness simply connects from the new puck to the (2) existing GPS puck receptacles. 
the more complicated part will be removing the pucks (not sure what kind of adhesive but they are on tight), and drilling a sizable hole for the puck receptacle.