Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Mods- Trailer and Vehicle

BoatFlyRide

Weigh the tongue weight with a bath scale and lever. Then weigh one side of the trailer and boat using bath scale and longer lever. Multiply the side weight by 2 and add the tongue weight. There you have a close approximation of the weight of the entire rig. Do all this only if you can’t get to a large scale to get the weight. Probably not close to 5000. Then if the tow vehicle is rated to tow that, then buy that tow vehicle. My previous Fwd odyssey was rated 3500. Boats up to 4000. I added a tranny cooler. It towed locally, roughly 15 to 20 min one way. Was not great but managed. Currently have a pilot same basic drive trains and it’s a little better but not by much. Need awd in some situations so the pilot has that. I want a better tow vehicle however. Tired of having to be so on guard. I don’t know about the sienna but research it. Why a van and not an suv type? Honda may tow it better that Toyota but not sure. I like Honda and Toyota. Check real world fuel mileage on several tow vehicles for how you drive and the route you drive. 3 or 4 mpg don’t add up to much in the long run. If the difference is 10 mpg  then yes, I understand. I check using fuelly and fuel economy. Gov. Or one thing like that. My pilot can get up to 20 mpg but it has To stay in it’s max overdrive to get it. On some of my roads I have driven I have to drive 45 and that makes it drop out a gear losing the mpg. I have since  started going interstate For most all trips to maximize mpg. Again, with my rig about 4100 pounds, I’d rather have a better tow vehicle since I’m on the edge. I have a 2001 vlx single axle trailer, tower, wedge, fuel, gear. Since you don’t have the tow vehicle yet, get what will work best.

I bought a 2003 V8 4Runner to pull the boat around and use as a dog car.

Runs and drives well plus it was only 3k!

Edited by BoatFlyRide