Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw Water pump removal question

Any tips on how to loosen those 3 big hex head bolts out?  I have an Allen wrench, but when I try to turn it to loosen it, it cause the whole pulley/engine to rotate.   

Maybe hit the wrench with a hammer for a sudden loosening and/or put PB Blaster on the bolts?

Grab the belt with your hand and tighten it by squeezing it together to make a simple strap wrench out of it.  It can also help to put the Allen wrench on with the arm pointing more toward the inside of the pulley so the torque is on the screw but not trying to turn the pulley so much. 

• Like 1

I did my pump last month and didn't have this issue, but I'd start my wrench so my first move was to pull away from the pulley, not in a direction that would turn the crank so much.

• Like 1

@vernonreeve - good suggestions above.  If still struggling you can use a very large screwdriver to hold the flywheel through the inspection / timing hole in the bellhousing.  Screwdriver end goes in the flywheel teeth and uses the bellhousing edge as a stop.  Might take a helper to hold the screwdriver.

• Like 1

I replaced mine a few weeks back ran into difficulties with the Allen heads starting to strip, thankfully a lot of pb blaster and the aid of a small butane torch right on the head of the bolt it came free.  Just watch how hot you get it, And go slow.  The Allen sockets were helpful rather than an Allen wrench.  like woodski said I ended up using a pry bar to stop the pulley from turning.  Ended up replacing the bolts because the heads were in bad shape afterwards.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  Impact wrench would have been awesome, but didn't have one. I tried an Allen socket wrench thinking I would need the bigger arm of the socket wrench, but the socket head didn't fit between the bolt and the pump. I ended up just using the Allen wrench.  I did like justgary said and positioned the Allen screw closer to the hub so I was pulling away from the hub.  Then instead of just pulling, I jerked on it hard.  After about the 3rd or 4th quick jerk, it came loose. 

But then the next challenge was the pump didn't come out easy after the bolts were off.  It has a fairly thick base and sets into a opening in the pulley that was slightly rusted.  So I used a rubber mallet to hit the pulley on opposite sides to work its way out of that hole.

I'll post pictures shortly.

I'm thinking I should put a thin coating of marine grease or white lithium grease on the base of the pump before reinserting it so it will come out easier next time. Any thoughts on doing this?

6 hours ago, vernonreeve said:

I'm thinking I should put a thin coating of marine grease or white lithium grease on the base of the pump before reinserting it so it will come out easier next time. Any thoughts on doing this?

Yes, do that.  It's also a good idea to spray the entire engine (except the pulleys and belts) with light spray oil (e.g. PB, LPS, etc.) a few times a year.  Do the entire thing from top to bottom (except those areas mentioned), and try to get some under the oil pan and on the engine mounts.  It will keep the Boogey Man away.

• Like 1

I was able to get it out and back in.  Here's some notes and images.  Prior to loosening the alternator, I put a piece of blue painters tape on it to mark where it used to be so I would know where to tighten it to.  To loosen the alternator, I loosened the two bolts that hold it, top and bottom, but also had to loosen a couple bolts on the top support strut to free it up, since I couldn't easily just push it to loosen the belt until I loosened those extra couple bolts.  The attached image will show this. 
Another images shows the position of the Allen wrench before I jerked on it 2 or 3 times to loosen the bolts that hold the raw water pump.
Another image after the pump was removed shows the little bit of rust that was making it difficult to remove the pump after the bolts were removed.  Hitting it with the rubber mallet on each side worked to wiggle it out.
After it was out, I used fine 0000 steel wool to remove the rust that was in there.  Before putting the new one in, I put a thin layer of marine grease on the base to hopefully prevent some of the rust from appearing again.
After putting the new one back in, the challenge was trying to get the belt as tight as it used to be.  An image shows where I was able to hook an 18" crowbar to push the alternator out to were it was.

I appreciate everyone's replies.  Really helps to give the confidence to do tasks like this myself knowing I have support.

Raw water pump 1.jpg

raw water pump 10.jpg

raw water pump 11.jpg

raw water pump 12.jpg

raw water pump 13.jpg

raw water pump 20.jpg

raw water pump 21.jpg