Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SDX2 power issues? Help!

Brandonloos21

So my sdx2 turns on with the battery switch before my other amps (htx1 and htx6) and before the key to the boat is even turned on. I rewired the remote wires to a relay and still, same issue persists. Checked for any strands from power cable, nothing. Then, I pulled the remote wire out, and turned my battery switch, and the amp flashed as it was somehow accepting power without even having a remote signal to turn on. Below is a video of me turning my battery switch, you can see that the only amp that starts flashing is the sdx2, then I turn my key on (and headunit comes on) then the other amps start flashing, and the sdx 2 and the other amps turn on and have a solid light finally. In addition, I noticed that when I start my boat, sometimes the sdx2 doesn’t turn on, and my tower speakers won’t play, and that it will also turn off at random times during the boat being started. Any insight would be much appreciated. Wetsounds SDX-2 Amp Issue Video

Warranty it if you’re positive there’s no copper strands anywhere causing problems. Has it ever been wet or in a very humid cool place? Condensation can be a problem rarely. 

8 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Warranty it if you’re positive there’s no copper strands anywhere causing problems. Has it ever been wet or in a very humid cool place? Condensation can be a problem rarely. 

Nothing more normal than the morning or late at night dew. The amp still plays great when it works. It’s over 2 years old sadly

Hopefully you get some better advice soon.  I'm comfortable taking these things apart so I'd be disassembling it some to see if there's any corrosion or contamination at that bulkhead connector that is bridging the Remote terminal and the Positive terminal.

the manual indicates that it has auto-sense for amp turn on.  wonder if yours was accidentally programmed that way from the factory?  Apparently you have to call WS to access this function.

2 hours ago, Texan32 said:

the manual indicates that it has auto-sense for amp turn on.  wonder if yours was accidentally programmed that way from the factory?  Apparently you have to call WS to access this function.

Okay I see, weird. I’m going to give them a call

12 hours ago, Texan32 said:

Called wetsounds. They said sdx amps are supposed to cycle with the battery and wait for the remote. If they don’t get remote they turn off. If they do they turn on. Now trying to figure why they kick off. Maybe remote wire isn’t getting enough. Hopefully relay fixes it!

8 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Called wetsounds. They said sdx amps are supposed to cycle with the battery and wait for the remote. If they don’t get remote they turn off. If they do they turn on. Now trying to figure why they kick off. Maybe remote wire isn’t getting enough. Hopefully relay fixes it!

thats interesting.  Did they offer an explanation as to why it does that?  The SDX is their top of the line amps, so i assume is it has some kind of advantage, but i cant really figure out what that might be.

11 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

thats interesting.  Did they offer an explanation as to why it does that?  The SDX is their top of the line amps, so i assume is it has some kind of advantage, but i cant really figure out what that might be.

They explained it as a safety feature 

The flashing badge upon first receiving voltage when the switch is turn to on, is normal. 

Why not use a relay triggered by the head unit's remote turn-on, to supply all the amps. This insures they all receive the same voltage level, at the same time and from the same source. I would do this first, before moving forward with the issue of the amp not returning to operation after cranking the boat. 

On 5/29/2020 at 8:53 AM, MLA said:

The flashing badge upon first receiving voltage when the switch is turn to on, is normal. 

Why not use a relay triggered by the head unit's remote turn-on, to supply all the amps. This insures they all receive the same voltage level, at the same time and from the same source. I would do this first, before moving forward with the issue of the amp not returning to operation after cranking the boat. 

So I have wired a relay and moved on. It seems that the amp is only kicking off if I’m going from having my key in the on position to the started position, or going from the started position to the on position.. any ideas of why?

On 6/6/2020 at 12:33 AM, Brandonloos21 said:

So I have wired a relay and moved on. It seems that the amp is only kicking off if I’m going from having my key in the on position to the started position, or going from the started position to the on position.. any ideas of why?

Not knowing how you wired your relay, you may have over-ridden the factory timing delay (assuming you have one).  I dont know how Bu does it, but on my T23 amp board, i have a small black box that is a timed relay.  Once triggered by the on/accessory power circuit, it will stay on for 10 seconds (actually user programmable) before shutting down.  This (plus turning my key from run to acc and vice versa) is the exact reason for the timer circuit. 

On 6/8/2020 at 7:08 AM, Texan32 said:

Not knowing how you wired your relay, you may have over-ridden the factory timing delay (assuming you have one).  I dont know how Bu does it, but on my T23 amp board, i have a small black box that is a timed relay.  Once triggered by the on/accessory power circuit, it will stay on for 10 seconds (actually user programmable) before shutting down.  This (plus turning my key from run to acc and vice versa) is the exact reason for the timer circuit. 

This is how I wired my relay. I just took the turn on wire from my stock htx6 amp, wired the relay, and ran 2 new turn ons from the relay to the htx6 and sdx2. The htx6 works properly and turns on whenever, regardless of how I turn boat off, on, etc. Relay setup

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 11:47 PM, Brandonloos21 said:

This is how I wired my relay. I just took the turn on wire from my stock htx6 amp, wired the relay, and ran 2 new turn ons from the relay to the htx6 and sdx2. The htx6 works properly and turns on whenever, regardless of how I turn boat off, on, etc. Relay setup

Is this how it is supposed to be? 

you can daisy chain remote wire from source of your choice, no need for a relay,  as mentioned above maybe relay is overriding factory delay 

my HU (we dont use but powers up with acc switch ), turns on my EQ and both amps in a simple chain