Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate option in Maliview Preset

daughjs

First summer in a Wakesetter (new to me 2014 VLX), and we've been surfing on a decent wave so far, but I needed to make a couple changes. I edited the "Surf Left" preset to fill the front ballast tank up to 50% and also increase speed to 10.8, then saved my changes. Now, when I select the Surf Left Preset, I no longer get the yellow warning banner to tell me the surf gate will extend above 7mph, and the left Surf Gate button on the MTC doesn't turn yellow. I can still manually press the surf gate button on the MTC, and everything works as expected when I pull up a surfer.

I went back to edit the preset again, and I don't even see where to select the surf gate. All I see are the preset name, picture, power wedge, speed, and ballast levels. Even in the Malibu owner's manual, it says Surf Gate can be set in the presets, but it never shows a screen shot like it does for all the other options.

Am I missing something?

I would be interested in this too.  I was unaware that I could have the gate selected via pre-set.  I have always wondered why I have a surf left and surf right pre-set, as the setups are identical.

15 hours ago, daughjs said:

Am I missing something?

If you are you're not alone.  Also in the 2013-2014 generation and don't believe I can have the gate in the presets.  I have surf left and right presets but that's because I'm using different ballast, wedge, speed combinations.  I still push the gate manually when it's time.

Edited by MNNewb

Next time I'm out on the water, I'm going to pick the "Surf Right", which I haven't edited, and see if the Surf Gate deploys. My MTC screen is beginning to delaminate, and all the buttons seem to work for now, but would be nice when/if it stops working, I can still pick a preset and still be able to use surf gates.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure out how to manage surf gates through the maliview presets?  I had same thing happen. Edited the presets and lost surfgate function as part of presets. I also have to manually raise wedge if I select “go home” and am pretty sure it did that as part of preset before I messed with edits. 

Edited by Brucie
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 8:11 PM, Brucie said:

Did you ever figure out how to manage surf gates through the maliview presets?  I had same thing happen. Edited the presets and lost surfgate function as part of presets. I also have to manually raise wedge if I select “go home” and am pretty sure it did that as part of preset before I messed with edits. 

I have a 2013 mxz, and the surf gates are auto enabled when using the factory presets. As soon as you exit them, the gates no longer deploy. I don’t know why, but that’s the way it is. I think it might be best to edit everything the way you like it, speed, ballast, wedge, etc, and manually deploy the surf gates.  
If you create a new preset, there isn’t an option to auto deploy the gates either. Kinda sucks, but definitely a 1st world problem….