Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 monsoon not warming up

My lake is just now approaching 60 degrees, but when it was colder, less than 50, engine temp loitered between 100 and 120. Today it did hit normal 160.  Is this common for a open cooling Monsoon? I got a new stat but am holding off till lake warms more.  Can anyone tell me about the stat gasket? Did not get one with the stat. Basic automotive? Or Indmar specific?

17 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

In 50-60F water, my motor will run at 160 once warmed up.

Same.  

Those low engine temps are not normal.  I bought my 160 thermostat and gasket from skidim.com.  Probably not a difference from automotive for gasket but I’m not entirely sure. 

@electricjohn - Tstat is marine specific for corrosion protection, gasket is automotive.

Low running temp may be a leaky tstat, too much water passing through the bypass circuit, or the bypass is allowing cold water to pass over temp sensor.  Could also be bypassing via a heater or shower thus not allowing enough time for water to warm up.

• Like 1

Thanks folks.  With our heat wave in upstate NY temps are running normal now.  This was the first winter stored boat saw -30 degrees. Thought that might have caused the problem. Used to store boat in NJ.

Edited by electricjohn
  • 2 weeks later...

It's funny, once the lake hit 60 degrees, everything returned to normal. I did buy a stat, but trying to get info on a gasket.