Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV 2004 - Good first boat option?

MurrayinMontreal

Hi,

Just looked at a Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV 2004. My challenge is I have two daughters 19 and 18, one likes to slalom and the other surf. They spent last summer with my brother-in-law's new MC XT-20 and the surfer got hooked. Actually my skier didn't love the ski wake. Want to keep them both happy. My hunch is the surf wake with bags will never recreate the experience of the tech-marvel MC for the surfer, so my main goal is to get a nice solid slalom ride for my talented skier, without my equally talented younger girl spending all summer at her cousin's. BTW, there is no wedge on the boat I saw today. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by MurrayinMontreal

A 2004 Sunscape LSV is the perfect boat for what you describe prior to the VTX being released in 2007.  I owned one and surfed with rear bags and human ballast.  I had a wedge but rarely used it when surfing.  My guess is that the newer surf assist devices would be more effective than what I was using but I had sold it prior to most of them being developed.  The ski wake was great at 32 mph and above.  

• Like 2

I like to ski over surf but with young kids I wanted the room of a v drive. The ‘04 Sunscape is a great crossover boat, hence why I have one. 

Well thanks everyone, we bought it. Will update this thread with some news when we get it in the water next weekend.

• Like 2

Hold the phone, purchase on hold. This boat may actually be a 2003. Any big difference between the model years as far as anyone knows?

From what I remember ‘03 and ‘04 virtually the same all around.  Hull changed in ‘05.  Had an ‘02 21LSV, now in a ‘13VTX.  The LSV was a great all round boat, think the ski wake was actually better than my VTX as it was lighter and narrower beam.  We had bags plumbed into rear locker for surfing and then added some extra in the boat when we didn’t have enough people to weight the appropriate side (owned it pre the aftermarket wake shaper).  PM me if you have any other questions.  

• Like 2

Thanks again! This community alone is making me feel pretty good about the purchase. 

BTW It's an 04. Harmless mix up on the paperwork.

Good on the ‘04, it had different tracking fins and the retractable ski pylon. I’m not sure of any other differences. 

Only word of caution is that vintage had damper plate issues - I have an 05 and am super happy with it, but the damper plate failed and it was a 2K repair as they had to pull the engine to get to it.   

my "03 vlx is similar and has been a great boat for us for many years.  You can stick a ton of weight in it and it makes a decent surf wave.  The  ski wake is just ok.  However I haven't pulled a skier for about 10 years.  

Doesn't  make a wave like these new boats, but they burn more fuel in an hour than I do all day....lol.