Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV engine/electrical issue

Hey there everyone.  Looking to see if I can get some wisdom regarding an issue with my 409ss 2014 23lsv.  We took it out of storage a couple weeks ago, and have put about 5 hours on it across a few half days on the water.  Everything has ran flawlessly up until we launched on Sunday for a family surf trip.  10 mins in, 2/3rds throttle just cruising at 25mph and suddenly the boats engine looses power and shuts off.  All of the gauges never had issues, they all read fine, good engine temps etc.  attempts to restart it were futile.  
I tried all the fuses I could find, they all looked good, checked lanyard, battery’s, and under dash connections - all good. No engine codes or alarms displayed.  When I push the start button or turn the key the starter seems to engage for a half second, then nothing.  

I ended up getting towed in by a local fishing guide (whom I tipped very well) so it wasn’t a total tragedy.  When I got home I gave it another quick once over and hooked up battery charger, only to find the same result.  Barely more than a “click”.  I have downloaded the tmc .pdf no start engine troubleshooting guide and am planning to go through it tonight and tomorrow and check all those boxes but I thought I would reach out and see if these details ring any bells for the themalibucrew.  
I have an apmnt with AWS in 2 weeks but hope to change that from a diagnostic to a standard preseason tune up if I can figure it out in meantime.  I have looked through and found some threads about this problem but am happy to have anyone list some helpful threads here, as searching for them isn’t always productive.  Thanks Much for any help, it’s greatly appreciated.  

So it died on the water like it ran out of gas.  The starter turned ok on the water but doesn't now?  If that is the case, you overheated it and it now needs attention.

The no start guide will lead you to the source of the dead engine.  My money is of fuel pressure. 

The starter worked fine when I first started the engine at launch.  But, as soon as it died out on the water, all it will do is barely more than a click - on the water or in the driveway.  Sorry if my rambling writing style causes confusion and thanks for chiming in with the fuel idea.  ☺️

17 minutes ago, justgary said:

So it died on the water like it ran out of gas.    My money is of fuel pressure. 

Yeah I would imagine it died as if it ran out of fuel (I haven’t ran an inboard out of gas lately ☺️).  We were cruising at 2/3 throttle, prob around 30mph, then suddenly the motor wound down quickly and died (it was dead before coming all the way to a stop). Initially I thought it was going to a “safe mode” as it didn’t die “immediately” but rather lost all power seemingly immediately, and the engine wound down and shut off.  No coughs or sputters, no engine faults or codes active.  

Battery/alternator? A charger won't provide enough current to turn over an engine unless you have a fancy "engine start/boost" model. Try jumper cables directly from another battery or swap the battery for a quick test. Have a local auto parts store test your current battery, and leave it on the charger overnight. If the battery was low and the alternator was trying to keep up you may have had two failures happen at the same time: battery and alternator.

I have enough batteries around that I got a simple battery tester so I don't have to haul batteries to the auto parts store. 
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-automotive-battery-analyzer-66892.html

• 2 weeks later...

Went through the no start guide.  Was not able to get the engine to turn over.  My regular mechanic is in annacortis Washington for a few weeks servicing customers there so I am forced to pay the local dealer (AWS) to get it running.  Right now it seems like the starter engages but is unable to turn over the engine.  That could be a bad starter (which would not explain why it suddenly died while underway) , or could be a bound up vdrive/transmission/torsion plate?(probably incorrect verbiage).  The prop spins free like normal underneath, no clunking or grinding noticed.  I can’t get a tranny fluid reading on the bow end stick and it’s barely showing on the stern stick so that has me a bit nervous.  Of course in the end it could be something electrical, I’m sure they will try to sell me a new screen and I’ll probably just bite the bullet and do it.  I’ll update when the issue is resolved thanks much for the insights.

So the engine stopped quickly and the starter will not turn the engine over at all?

Are you getting ANY rotation at all on the engine when the starter engages?  Even if it’s just momentary?   

Would hate to think that the engine seized.  

Motor is most likely hydro locked, I don't quite understand the physics of it but when your motor dies at speed water gets sucked back into the engine.

Pull all the spark plugs, then try to start it, I bet water blows out of the cylinders. Then gotta change the oil and figure out why it died...

On 6/8/2020 at 9:15 PM, skurfer said:

Motor is most likely hydro locked, I don't quite understand the physics of it but when your motor dies at speed water gets sucked back into the engine.

Pull all the spark plugs, then try to start it, I bet water blows out of the cylinders. Then gotta change the oil and figure out why it died...

Yep, that was one of the first things I checked (forgot to mention in the posts).  Boat is not hydro locked, although I did go ahead and replace the plugs, which all looked ok.  I dropped off at the dealer.  Diagnosis from dealer is bad starter, bad ECM, bad cats.  Should be fixed in a few days.  Im just glad there wasn't any damage to the powertrain.  If not for the cats I would have been able to get back on the water for less than $1000.  

On 6/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, ROFF said:

So the engine stopped quickly and the starter will not turn the engine over at all?

Are you getting ANY rotation at all on the engine when the starter engages?  Even if it’s just momentary?   

Would hate to think that the engine seized.  

that was my original worry but tech verified that it wouldn't turn over due to bad starter.  It died on the water due to the bad ECM (which they were able to manipulate by tapping on it).  They found bad cats during inspection and strongly recommended I replace them.