Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade knotted surf rope

williemon

I had thought about it like you are, but decided it was not worth it.  Firstly you want it to float, secondly you want a handle that floats.  Its very hard to learn and get up without a handle for a beginner.   I have a Ronix rope its like $40 works great.  

We had a knotted surf rope about 10 years ago. I threw it away. It was heavy, hard to hold on to, if you fell on it the knots would rip over your skin leaving marks on your body. People would coil it up while riding because it was too long, and we all know that's a no-no. Generally a poor choice for a surf rope. Get a real surf rope, don't run it too long and throw the rope in the boat.

Say Nope to Rope!

• Like 2

As a cautionary tale, I have two surf ropes, one with a handle and one without and of course beginners want to use the one with the handle.  Last summer I was teaching the girlfriend of one of the kids in my neighborhood how to surf.  She got up and was doing really well but when she did wipe out it looked like she didn't let go of the handle and was trying to bodysurf the wake.  I stopped immediately and, sure enough, her arm had gone through the handle up past her elbow.  It was literally a second  or two of drag as we slowed down but when she got out of the water her upper arm actually looked broken.  Fortunately it was just some instant(and very large!) swelling...by the time we got back to the dock the swelling was almost gone although she was getting some nasty bruising.  She got it checked out and was lucky because after a week or so of soreness she was fine but if you don't recognize something like this pretty quickly, the ending may not be so happy so watch out for that handle.  I've had it happen to me when wakeboarding when I was learning spins and fortunately my arm exited just as quickly as it entered the handle but that was a first for surfing.

I’m on the side of use a regular surf rope. Boat sports come with risks.  Make sure everyone is aware of the risks and try to minimize them.  Doo doo happens just be careful.