Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Relays

Could use a little help, thanks in advance.    

I keep killing relays on my boat.  ECM and fuel pump are the 2 that appear to fry.   Replaced the Fuel pump relay 7/2019 and a week later the ECM relay.  Then 5/2020 fried another ECM relay.  Luckily I keep a couple of spares on the boat since I have fried a couple in the past.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The first one I opened last year was melted on the inside. 

The one I pulled and replaced on Saturday was very hot to the touch and I could barely hold it long enough to pull it out. Can only assume that it had melted as well. 

I will open it and snap a picture tonight. 

2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Check out the contacts where they plug in. Could be opened up and not making a good connection.

Indeed.  That is the most likely scenario.  That or corrosion.  I'd dab some grease on the contacts before installing them. 

• Like 2

The first one I opened last year was melted on the inside. 

The one I pulled and replaced on Saturday was very hot to the touch and I could barely hold it long enough to pull it out. Can only assume that it had melted as well. 

I will open it and snap a picture tonight. 

0658B76D-B52C-44EA-A48C-3AF4AEE68998.jpeg

E635EF00-AD75-476C-8E08-64F4356607F1.jpeg

847E016E-C618-4C91-B1E2-E280B4CAF5AC.jpeg

345B66C5-1814-4459-BCA0-2334B72F8C91.jpeg

93681783-0BAB-4578-A757-C26A52C46F41.jpeg

Thanks.  I'll check the connections in the sockets and pry the connections to make sure that they are tight.  Plus add a dab of dielectric grease.  

5 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It being a repeat points me to the socket.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Thanks.  I'll check the connections in the sockets and pry the connections to make sure that they are tight.  Plus add a dab of dielectric grease.  

At this point, you may have melted the socket as well, so you might need to make sure that the contact isn't pushed out of the housing.  The male pin was blue from the heat, so it is possible that the female has lost its temper and can't grip well any more.  Check everything very carefully before you just poke a new one in.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Exactly. 

At this point, you may have melted the socket as well, so you might need to make sure that the contact isn't pushed out of the housing.  The male pin was blue from the heat, so it is possible that the female has lost its temper and can't grip well any more.  Check everything very carefully before you just poke a new one in.

Well..... I had to poke one back in to get back to the dock Saturday.  Shut down underway about a half mile from the dock.  

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Oh, and thanks for the great photos.  Very well done.

Thanks.  iphone 11 does great for close up shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to install the new relay and a new socket.  Old socket was melted at the same pin.  Hopefully this will take care of the issue.  Thanks again for the help.