Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gouged gunmetal charcoal metallic -- nail polish work?

BlitzedVLX

While pulling into our dock a large wave came and rocked the boat and put a hairline gouge in the top section near the window. Spectrum does not have metallic patch kits. Can't find a professional around me. Anyone know a nail polish that will work until I have it repaired over the winter?

Unless the gouge bothers you, all you really need to do is seal it to prevent water into fiberglass until you get repaired. Sounds like its pretty high up and is not at waterline, how deep is the gouge? I doesnt sound too bad reading your description. I mention this cause anything temporary done now will have to be removed and being flake, you want to keep the repair area as small as possible. I believe that nail polish would have to basically be ground out with a dremel or similar.

I think if it was me, as long as its on the top cap, I would just use normal wax to seal it since that can be removed easily (rub in some wax and then remove access). Depending on how large/deep the gouge is, its possible it could be carefully wet sanded/compounded/polished if its not too deep. I have done a couple metallic flake repairs on my boat, you just gotta be careful to not go thru the clear coat layer.

21 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Unless the gouge bothers you, all you really need to do is seal it to prevent water into fiberglass until you get repaired. Sounds like its pretty high up and is not at waterline, how deep is the gouge? I doesnt sound too bad reading your description. I mention this cause anything temporary done now will have to be removed and being flake, you want to keep the repair area as small as possible. I believe that nail polish would have to basically be ground out with a dremel or similar.

I think if it was me, as long as its on the top cap, I would just use normal wax to seal it since that can be removed easily (rub in some wax and then remove access). Depending on how large/deep the gouge is, its possible it could be carefully wet sanded/compounded/polished if its not too deep. I have done a couple metallic flake repairs on my boat, you just gotta be careful to not go thru the clear coat layer.

I agree that I probably should not attempt to fill it on my own if I plan to have it fixed professionally. it is fairly deep between 1/16 - 1/8" and about 1 3/4" long so more than a hairline. No way it will buff out thats for certain. It will need to be filled and color matched. 

57 minutes ago, BlitzedVLX said:

I agree that I probably should not attempt to fill it on my own if I plan to have it fixed professionally. it is fairly deep between 1/16 - 1/8" and about 1 3/4" long so more than a hairline. No way it will buff out thats for certain. It will need to be filled and color matched. 

Order the color matched gel putty from spectrum color for it.

Less work for the person who is going to end up doing the final repair. They won't have to grind so much to remove incompatible materials that will contaminate the repair.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Order the color matched gel putty from spectrum color for it.

Less work for the person who is going to end up doing the final repair. They won't have to grind so much to remove incompatible materials that will contaminate the repair.

Spectrum does not do metallic per my email with them. They can get me the base which I have contacted malibu to find out what it is.  I did find what looks close to the proper flake on ebay for $12.50. Could i just mix this with clear gel coat?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Ski-Wake-Boat-Marine-Auto-Charcoal-Gunmetal-1-oz-Poly-Metal-Flake-008/262364705762?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by BlitzedVLX
10 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I doubt many amateurs can do a decent  metallic  gel repair.  I'd get a pro to fix this.

Likely the way I am going to need to go. I will just move the Surf Gate Equipped decal on the window down to cover it up for the time being haha

1 hour ago, BlitzedVLX said:

Likely the way I am going to need to go. I will just move the Surf Gate Equipped decal on the window down to cover it up for the time being haha

Brilliant!  :)

20 hours ago, BlitzedVLX said:

Spectrum does not do metallic per my email with them. They can get me the base which I have contacted malibu to find out what it is.  I did find what looks close to the proper flake on ebay for $12.50. Could i just mix this with clear gel coat?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Ski-Wake-Boat-Marine-Auto-Charcoal-Gunmetal-1-oz-Poly-Metal-Flake-008/262364705762?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Temp fix with no metal flake.

Pro fix with the metal flake.

You could try to flake it yourself by mixing, but your issue is the flake is on the surface and is sprayed a certain way. You will not be able to get the flake to lay to match.

If it is a small spot you might be able to get a 10 ft passable, but when you get closer it will be visible.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

I repaired flake one with model paint. I would put a coat on and let it dry and continue to add until the chip was full. Only I knew where it was and over the years it got harder for  me to remember.

• 6 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, oldstv said:

I repaired flake one with model paint. I would put a coat on and let it dry and continue to add until the chip was full. Only I knew where it was and over the years it got harder for  me to remember.

Do you remember which paint you used? 

I would buy the flake and try it. A pro is most likely going to grind out the spot anyway to make a fix so if you F it up its not extra work for them. If it looks decent money saved, if not it will make you feel better about how much $$ you spend to have someone fix it. 

On 5/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, BlitzedVLX said:

sorry that's a scratch, leave well enough alone, wear it with pride of use and if you keep boat and use it a lot, it will not be the last

i did my repairs but mine were beneath the water line and they were chips fully exposing fiberglass and i am a fully flat white boat, the easiest to hide my flaws in the repairs

my luck , recently a very small void (gel coat and no fiberglass underneath ) chip occurred on rail of my swim platform near stern, wish it would have happened this summer when i repaired the others, Spectrum here i come again

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a small bottle of model paint, you know, the one that comes in a set. I went to a hobby store and looked through the paint section and found the one with the largest flake and went with it. You had to know where to look and even then it was hard to spot.