Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This is what 19 year old exhaust hoses look like inside

When I looked in my flappers up into the mufflers, I saw nothing that looked like this in the soft wall hoses connecting the mufflers to the flappers.  These are the down-hoses off the manifolds to the mufflers.  This is off the starboard side.  Port didn't look quite this bad.  Probably could have run for a few more years, but interesting how they delaminate like that.

IMG_20200525_174201.jpg

IMG_20200525_174152.jpg

• Like 2

Wow...I have an 01 and never thought to shine a light up inside. I will do tomorrow. Great idea. doh!

Great post if you can tell us where to buy the exhaust hose and tell us how to do it...I have been wondering if this is something I should tackle...

On 5/26/2020 at 9:45 AM, John I. said:

Where are you purchasing the replacement hose?

Got from my dealer since I didn't feel like waiting around for it.  Not cheap stuff.  About 27 bucks a foot or so.

17 minutes ago, gary_tenison said:

Wow...I have an 01 and never thought to shine a light up inside. I will do tomorrow. Great idea. doh!

Great post if you can tell us where to buy the exhaust hose and tell us how to do it...I have been wondering if this is something I should tackle...

This isn't "up the tailpipe."  This is the view looking down the hose after yanking off the exhaust risers.  The one between the engine and the muffler.  The ones between the muffler and the through-hull fittings on my boat look and feel fine, though I think I'll rotate them 180 degrees when I change fuel lines and steering cable (planning this for fall even though my steering cable is still pretty good).  They tend to get a little soft on the bottom over time.

Edited by UWSkier
14 hours ago, gary_tenison said:

Here is a post from another member who recently replaced exhaust hoses. https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/73464-04-rlxi-exhaust-hose-deteriorating-replacement-process/&tab=comments#comment-1121619 

I actually had the inside of a hose collapse on my 88 Supra blocking water flow. I checked/replaced everything cooling system related until standing on the dock I had my dad take off full speed and noticed essentially zero water flow out of the starboard exhaust port.