Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First boat 2001 Malibu Sunscape 23 lSV

bbrett

Hello, I'm new to the site and a new boat owner. Just picked up a 2001 Sunscape 23 LSV this weekend, and I'm hoping this will be a great first boat to learn on. Looking forward to getting on the water next weekend! If anyone has any tips or tricks for me that would be awesome. 

Congrats on the new boat!

We had a 2002 23 lsv as our first inboard. Still miss that boat, mostly for the great memories.  Its a great all around boat. Lots of great advice around here on ways to maintain it, improve it and get the most out of it. I recomend getting used to driving it first, and then explore which ever sports you enjoy the most, then ask specific questions.

Oh and welcome to the site!

Congrats! I have the exact same boat, overall it has been pretty good to us over the last 2 years. We use it for surfing, tubing and wakeboarding. Enjoy!

21 hours ago, bbrett said:

Hello, I'm new to the site and a new boat owner. Just picked up a 2001 Sunscape 23 LSV this weekend, and I'm hoping this will be a great first boat to learn on. Looking forward to getting on the water next weekend! If anyone has any tips or tricks for me that would be awesome. 

First boat, as in you've never owned a boat before or?

Inboards handle a little differently than your typical stern drive or outboard.  I'd spend at least a day just driving conservatively, getting the feel for it.  Remember with a boat, you steer with the rear, not the front.  Important to remember pulling away from docs, etc.  Good exercise to learn is tie an old milk jug to a brick or something and practice pulling up to it on the water without running it over, drifting across it, etc.  Use a thin string in case you get it in your prop.  Rope in the prop is bad.

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

First boat, as in you've never owned a boat before or?

Inboards handle a little differently than your typical stern drive or outboard.  I'd spend at least a day just driving conservatively, getting the feel for it.  Remember with a boat, you steer with the rear, not the front.  Important to remember pulling away from docs, etc.  Good exercise to learn is tie an old milk jug to a brick or something and practice pulling up to it on the water without running it over, drifting across it, etc.  Use a thin string in case you get it in your prop.  Rope in the prop is bad.

Yeah my first boat period. Good Advice! I waited to take it out MDW especially with all the craziness on the water, I'm sure not a good weekend to get familiar as a new boater. 

2 minutes ago, bbrett said:

Yeah my first boat period. Good Advice! I waited to take it out MDW especially with all the craziness on the water, I'm sure not a good weekend to get familiar as a new boater. 

Any chance you have friends who've owned inboards before?  Would encourage you to bring said friends along with you in exchange for a burger or something.  It's always good to have a solid deck hand around, especially navigating around docks, launching and retrieving, etc.

If your boat didn't come with manuals, I suggest downloading the PDF versions of the 2001 manuals from the resources section of this site.  You can find them by searching for your boat by year and model, then clicking the appropriate manual in the detail page for your boat.

Welcome to the crew!  2001 was Malibu's best year IMO... but my family has a couple 2001s, so I'm biased.  :)

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Any chance you have friends who've owned inboards before?  Would encourage you to bring said friends along with you in exchange for a burger or something.  It's always good to have a solid deck hand around, especially navigating around docks, launching and retrieving, etc.

If your boat didn't come with manuals, I suggest downloading the PDF versions of the 2001 manuals from the resources section of this site.  You can find them by searching for your boat by year and model, then clicking the appropriate manual in the detail page for your boat.

Welcome to the crew!  2001 was Malibu's best year IMO... but my family has a couple 2001s, so I'm biased.  :)

I do, definitely not wanting to go out "blind" and damage my new boat

Windy days or choppy days are a real pain.  Hard to line boat up to get on trailer. I always pull my boat onto the trailer by hand so I don’t risk dinging the prop. Also avoid sticks, wood, logs so they don’t hit prop. If anyone sits in the bow, be careful of waves heading towards the bow. You can end up taking a roller wave over the bow and wet your guests. If you do take a chunk of water over the bow, reach down quickly and open the ski locker to let water flow in. Then it will flow back to the bildge. 

I've got a 2000 23LSV, and like you, this was my first boat ever. We've spent tons of time on it over the last 3 years and I have learned a ton, mostly from this site. Biggest lesson I learned was not to back the trailer down the ramp too far when putting the boat on. I have way too many dings and scratches in the hull from having the trailer too deep. 

Enjoy the ride!