Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

iPhone USB Input Issue

2020LSV23

1 hour ago, st22eve said:

So the weird thing is there are 5 people with iphones that ride my boat, 3 are the iphone xs and 2 are iphone 10s. The 3 iphone xs's won't work but the two X or 10 iphones work. All are running iOs 13.5.1. The XS is the newer model ove the X. I sent this info to malibu this morning and they are sending to engineering. Hopefully they can figure out a fix.

Probably because of hardware differences between them also.

I'd say that Apple is probably going to have to fix a bug in their software.

3 hours ago, st22eve said:

So the weird thing is there are 5 people with iphones that ride my boat, 3 are the iphone xs and 2 are iphone 10s. The 3 iphone xs's won't work but the two X or 10 iphones work. All are running iOs 13.5.1. The XS is the newer model ove the X. I sent this info to malibu this morning and they are sending to engineering. Hopefully they can figure out a fix.

Keep in mind that even though it looks like the same software to the end user, every device that Apple makes has a slightly different OS. The build of iOS for an iPhone X is different than the build for an XS, etc. 
I have a team that manages iPads for an annual tradeshow, we rent the iPads and even though the contract specifies that they're all the same model we still end up with a hodge-podge of devices. Since we have to re-image them between uses so everyone gets the same pristine experience, and we don't want to download the image from Apple for every reimage event (a single device can be reimaged 10+ times a day) we keep local copies of the iOS images. The variations in iOS code alone are immense, and once you start mixing that with anything else the permutations are off-the-charts. This is one of the reasons that the adoption of CarPlay and Android Auto have been well received, it takes the responsibility away from the vehicle manufacturer and puts it back on the device OEM.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, mikeo said:

Keep in mind that even though it looks like the same software to the end user, every device that Apple makes has a slightly different OS. The build of iOS for an iPhone X is different than the build for an XS, etc. 
I have a team that manages iPads for an annual tradeshow, we rent the iPads and even though the contract specifies that they're all the same model we still end up with a hodge-podge of devices. Since we have to re-image them between uses so everyone gets the same pristine experience, and we don't want to download the image from Apple for every reimage event (a single device can be reimaged 10+ times a day) we keep local copies of the iOS images. The variations in iOS code alone are immense, and once you start mixing that with anything else the permutations are off-the-charts. This is one of the reasons that the adoption of CarPlay and Android Auto have been well received, it takes the responsibility away from the vehicle manufacturer and puts it back on the device OEM.

At one point all the iphones were working and then the next time out no XS phones would work. This happened even before my wife updated to 13.5.1 on her XS. It's worked for a year then all of a sudden it stopped along with a couple other XS owners. 🤦🏼‍♂️

35 minutes ago, st22eve said:

At one point all the iphones were working and then the next time out no XS phones would work. This happened even before my wife updated to 13.5.1 on her XS. It's worked for a year then all of a sudden it stopped along with a couple other XS owners. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I agree it's a lousy situation, and I don't think there is anything we can do as consumers. This is why I pointed to the CarPlay & Android Auto scenario, the integration responsibility lies with the OEM device manufacturer for integration. The car manufacturers are seeing this now, with many new cars coming with one or both of the options, and aftermarket head units are on board, it will take some time for the speciality manufacturers to catch up.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issues trying to use the USB for music with an Android phone as well.  Very frustrating.  Only thing that works is Aux.  I’m putting latest firmware in Sat Morning.  I will post if it helps at all.

My 2020 VLX didn't come with tower speakers or sub.  I just had a Syn DX6 / Rev 10s / Ported 10 installed.  System (bass especially from subs and mids) sounds aweful over bluetooth now; but really crisp over the USB input.  I can't for the life of me understand why the USB input isn't right under the phone holder where a very short cord could be used....  

You would think Malibu would offer a high resolution upgrade to owners (such as Airplay); at this price point Apple owners would tag that on in a heartbeat.  I'm wondering if there is an Airplay adapter of some sort that could be used (sonos Air port?  looks kinds pricey)

Software update helped a lot with my Bluetooth issues.  It still cuts out from time to time for a split second but it doesn’t sound horrible any more.  

• 3 weeks later...

16 25 LSV can some one explain exactly how to download Spotify onto the the boat pc please? I assume by connect a phone. I can connect iphone 8 via bluetooth but usb on dash nor the one in the glovebox allow music to be played.

Thanks

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, 16LSV25 said:

16 25 LSV can some one explain exactly how to download Spotify onto the the boat pc please? I assume by connect a phone. I can connect iphone 8 via bluetooth but usb on dash nor the one in the glovebox allow music to be played.

Thanks

The Spotify feature is for the 2020+ operating system. Unfortunately it will not work in your boat and Bluetooth is the best option imo.