Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

yoU broke

FrostyBug

Got my 2020 22 LSV this past month, already been out a lot of days enjoying this technical marvel...  Ran across the lake last night to get to our favorite spot and found that I lost yoU.

https://imgur.com/a/vlea4A2

Rider saw yoU missing at which time all boat occupants started pontificating on what happened to yoU and in what matter did it happen.  We got over it, no yoU emblem would ruin our day. 

We had a great night of riding, made it back at the dock around 9:30.  The crew is always good at tidying up the boat and was blown away when we found that U2 was now gone.

https://imgur.com/a/QP3ovx1

Pretty sure this is a first at least from a combination of letters perspective.  

This is my 3rd boat, haven’t touched a dock or shore.  I assume those are scrapes from the emblem coming off.  We were going across the main part of our lake in a light wind which was definitely bumpy but shouldn’t have caused this.

4 minutes ago, FrostyBug said:

This is my 3rd boat, haven’t touched a dock or shore.  I assume those are scrapes from the emblem coming off.  We were going across the main part of our lake in a light wind which was definitely bumpy but shouldn’t have caused this.

The second one where the scratch is behind the broken latter, maybe: the  scratch above?  I dunno...  I can't see a decal digging that far into the glass, BICBW.

I agree, it looks excessive but it is what it is.  It’s just two letters and some good cleaning wax away from being 80%+ fixed.  No conspiracy here.   

surf rope maybe grabbed them?  dont see that happening but ive seen weirder. 

id pull up to the dock and see if that is the dock height. if so maybe

if not  its a mystery

No rope has gone to the side of the boat and no dock touched.  There was some rough water in the middle of the lake that day but not too crazy.  This 22 bucks a lot in wind and any sort of rough water, Sucks but I have to fill the bow in these conditions and even get people to move forward.  My guess is tape was applied high on the letter but not in the lower part allowing water and downforce to rip them off.  Just super weird both came off on the same day at different times.  

9 hours ago, FrostyBug said:

No rope has gone to the side of the boat and no dock touched.  There was some rough water in the middle of the lake that day but not too crazy.  This 22 bucks a lot in wind and any sort of rough water, Sucks but I have to fill the bow in these conditions and even get people to move forward.  My guess is tape was applied high on the letter but not in the lower part allowing water and downforce to rip them off.  Just super weird both came off on the same day at different times.  

way weird

remove them all.  look dope with no emblems

This time of year there can be quite a bit of debris in the water. Depends on how your lake is fed but our reservoirs are fed by raging rivers from snow melt and they drag down old trees etc. In choppy water you may not have heard an impact.

Other theory simply that the letter adhesive wasn’t fully set and the letter partially detached flopping against the hull causing scratches and damage until it finally snapped and let go. Given that it happened in two or more sessions highly unlikely this was operator error / docking issue. But I would check the trailer to see if there’s a chance of defect there that could have damaged the letters making them susceptible to peeling.

4 minutes ago, Captcrunch said:

check the trailer to see if there’s a chance of defect there that could have damaged the letters making them susceptible to peeling.

That is a great idea.  I wonder if the boat was moving on the trailer?