Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 LSV throttle linkage problem

Newbie here, I have spent nights reading a lot of great posts about maintenance and educational tips. Definitely worth the $ to support the Crew

and save big bucks down the road.  On my 2004 LSV monsoon 340 I replaced the perfect pass cable mid season last year and I must have missed

a step because now the throttle linkage unscrews itself and the motor goes to idle until I reattach the linkage. Wife is not happy when it happened

while skiing. I am thinking I missed a lock nut somewhere. It separates right under the bracket that holds the perfect pass cable and the 6" long

throttle rod linkage. The 1" long brass nut unscrews itself from the threaded silver linkage just underneath it, right near the pop up ski pylon.

I have attached a couple of pictures. I was hoping somebody could look at their set up and see what I missed if anything.

Tempted to put Lock tite on it after I set the idle.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.   

thumb_IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Looks like one of your lock nuts is not tight and another is missing.  And/or the shaft is not even threaded into the long nut.

Edited by minnmarker
addition

Thank you Minnmarker , it does look like i am missing the bottom nut below the 1" brass nut.

Can you tell on yours if that long brass nut is connected or screwed into the top of the perfect pass

cable end ? If so it would have to be a left right thread?

1 hour ago, FaithoverFear said:

Thank you Minnmarker , it does look like i am missing the bottom nut below the 1" brass nut.

Can you tell on yours if that long brass nut is connected or screwed into the top of the perfect pass

cable end ? If so it would have to be a left right thread?

All of those photos clearly show right hand threads.  The long nut threads on the cable end, and you do seem to be missing a lock nut as @minnmarker said. 

If you adjust it and tighten the lock nuts but it still won't stay put, a little loctite blue might do the job if you clean the threads first.

I had this happen once whne I was in the boat - idle only.  Trying to tighten it on a hot engine is not a fun job.  Another time (I was not there) the  better half had to idle 15 kms home!  She was not happy.

Thanks guys  (do I dare say one last question) are you suppose to see any part of the steel cable (see red arrow) between

the brass nut and the upper nut that's against the mounting bracket? Does anyone know the thread size ? I might take the brass

851BB1AA-A9AD-4F35-9DB0-D0D05EACC822.jpg.eb6a09424c0b9583098ec120de5d9433.jpg

Part 2 I could cut slot in a new brass nut (green arrow) and tighten it against the long nut. Or is the long brass nut 

suppose to be connected to the purple nut so that no cable is exposed?