Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 monsoon starting problems

Batteries are fully charged and when I turn the key everything powers up but it is slow turning over and then it will finally start. Replaced starter not to long ago. Runs fine once it starts.  Any ideas?

Edited by tbonemalibu

check all battery connections, then check them again.  My dad's 01 refused to fire once on a fairly new, decent battery.  The terminals were tight.  I took the cables off, then put them back on after jiggling them a bit, and it fired right up.  Prior to that, the gauges would wake up but there wasn't enough juice to the starter.

Incidentally that same battery is still starting that boat like it's angry and it's probably going on 12 or 13 years old.  Was a cheapie from the Fleet Farm (like Tractor Supply).  Got our money's worth out of that one.

Edited by UWSkier

2 or 3 years. Blue tops. I guess I’ll start with the terminals and see what happens unless someone else has another idea. 

20 minutes ago, tbonemalibu said:

2 or 3 years. Blue tops. I guess I’ll start with the terminals and see what happens unless someone else has another idea. 

what voltage do the batteries read after a couple days sitting?

6 hours ago, tbonemalibu said:

I’d pull them and get them tested before I did anything else. Most places will do it for free.  Just because one  or both are showing they are charged doesn’t mean they are good.  

formulaben
On 5/21/2020 at 9:42 PM, tbonemalibu said:

I guess I’ll start with the terminals and see what happens unless someone else has another idea. 

My 2 cents: don't do a visual check but remove them all and clean clean everything including both the positive terminal on the engine starter and negative on the block.  I've unfortunately experienced great looking terminals hiding corrosion between the metals.

• 1 month later...

Did u figure out why the slow crank?  I have a 2006 LXi and have the same issue and finally today it will not crank at all.  I replaced the battery and still no crank.  This issue has been slowly been getting worse for about a year.

19 minutes ago, FredB said:

Did u figure out why the slow crank?  I have a 2006 LXi and have the same issue and finally today it will not crank at all.  I replaced the battery and still no crank.  This issue has been slowly been getting worse for about a year.

Are you sure the battery is in good shape and it's charging when running?