Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Horrible outing, 2013 VLX issues

I recently got a 2013 vlx with the Monsoon 350.  Have had it out a few times and ran great.  This week I did an oil and filter change, also replaced the impeller, had to pull the raw water pump to change it(puller ordered).  I then started it on a fake a lake and it seemed to take longer than other times for water to come out the exhaust, seemed like to was almost a minute but then flowed real nice.  So today we went on the lake, my son backed the boat off while I parked.  When I got on the boat there was a loss of CAN signal warning, when that was silenced the temp showed 166 but while I watched it slowly came back down to 160. I then took the boat up to speed clearing the loss of CAN signal message every few minutes.  I then went to get up to speed again and the boat seemed to not want to plane out not sure if there was a loss of power or not. So after a minute or two of half to three quarter throttle I noticed the temp was at 208!!!  Shut down and opened engine cover, steam and a slight burnt oil smell greeted me. I AM AN IDIOT! The problem was the hose that went from the raw water pump to the oil cooler had slide off (swear I double checked).  Was able to slide the hose back on, checked oil and it looked brand new still.  Started boat and temp started coming down.  Idled back to launch, temp staying right around 160 the whole way, and triple checked the hose.  I then did a factory reset and then shut down the power and batteries.  Once powered back up the temp floated right around 160, never higher then 166, and the loss of CAN signal never showed back up. So we idled around the lake and got up to maybe 3/4 power temp stayed ok.  BUT NOW my tach and speed gauges dont work, they act like there is only a signal being received every so often. When you start the tach goes to idle and then stays there after a power change has been made the tach will eventually receive a signal and jump to where you are but stays right there even if you change until the next moment it re registers, same with speedo.

So I guess my questions are:

After my stupidity with the hose issue what do I need to do/check to make sure my engine is ok? 

Do I need to worry about the loss of CAN signal even though it seems to be gone?

What could be causing my gauge issues? CAN signal related?

Sorry such a long post, seems like nothing could go right tonight.:badmood:

1 hour ago, FlyinThrush said:

I recently got a 2013 vlx with the Monsoon 350.  Have had it out a few times and ran great.  This week I did an oil and filter change, also replaced the impeller, had to pull the raw water pump to change it(puller ordered).  I then started it on a fake a lake and it seemed to take longer than other times for water to come out the exhaust, seemed like to was almost a minute but then flowed real nice.  So today we went on the lake, my son backed the boat off while I parked.  When I got on the boat there was a loss of CAN signal warning, when that was silenced the temp showed 166 but while I watched it slowly came back down to 160. I then took the boat up to speed clearing the loss of CAN signal message every few minutes.  I then went to get up to speed again and the boat seemed to not want to plane out not sure if there was a loss of power or not. So after a minute or two of half to three quarter throttle I noticed the temp was at 208!!!  Shut down and opened engine cover, steam and a slight burnt oil smell greeted me. I AM AN IDIOT! The problem was the hose that went from the raw water pump to the oil cooler had slide off (swear I double checked).  Was able to slide the hose back on, checked oil and it looked brand new still.  Started boat and temp started coming down.  Idled back to launch, temp staying right around 160 the whole way, and triple checked the hose.  I then did a factory reset and then shut down the power and batteries.  Once powered back up the temp floated right around 160, never higher then 166, and the loss of CAN signal never showed back up. So we idled around the lake and got up to maybe 3/4 power temp stayed ok.  BUT NOW my tach and speed gauges dont work, they act like there is only a signal being received every so often. When you start the tach goes to idle and then stays there after a power change has been made the tach will eventually receive a signal and jump to where you are but stays right there even if you change until the next moment it re registers, same with speedo.

So I guess my questions are:

After my stupidity with the hose issue what do I need to do/check to make sure my engine is ok? 

Do I need to worry about the loss of CAN signal even though it seems to be gone?

What could be causing my gauge issues? CAN signal related?

Sorry such a long post, seems like nothing could go right tonight.:badmood:

I had a hose come off from my boat this year as well. My auto-bilge wasn’t working so I didn’t find out until water was at the floorboards. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

i doubt the tach and speed gauges have anything to do with the water. I suspect when you reset everything something lost it’s mind. I’d try another reset.

Thanks @braindamage I will give that a try.  I'm not as worried about the gauges as I am the high temp. Im worried I did some damage that is gonna show up the next time I start it. Gauges were just icing on this horrible cake.

Temp of 208 isn’t anything to worry about, and there isn’t any water in the oil, so there’s almost no chance of long term damage to the motor.

this stuff happens...