Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter problem

Hi guys!

Since yesterday I have a problem with my starter : sometimes it makes a huge noise, it finishes by starting but it can take time. I guess the starter doesnt engages properly with the fly wheel?

What could I do ?

I noticed its moving a little. Before that it was working properly.

Should I try to tighten the bolts ? Is there something else I can do??

Thanks a lot!!

Mickey

In the 2 times that I had issues with the starter on my 2010, both of them ended up being the solenoid that was actually the problem. After the first incident I pulled the starter which had been under water from the dealer not pulling the transom plug while it was a demo boat. I know this because I could see the water line on the block when I pulled the starter. Anyway the starter internally looked nearly unused, on the other hand the solenoid looked like a bloated PBJ mess from the rust. On first start up it would take 4-6 cranks to get going when it used to take 1-2 cranks. As the solenoid got heat soaked it got progressively harder and harder to start until it ultimately failed. I took it in the local starter place and they went through it and replaced the solenoid, which they said was the problem. 400 hours later it was still going strong.

Hey guys!!

So I thightened the bolts, they need it ! and now the starter is not moving anymore !

But now, when I start, the starter engage during maybe half a second then it keep turning (I can hear it) but it seems to disengage so the engine doesnt start.

What should I do now ??

Thanks!

Mickey -

I'm sorry to say it, but you may need to pull the starter out and check it.  It sounds like maybe the bendix gear is not engaging with the ring gear on the flywheel. 

Try a known good battery and jumper cable first, putting power directly on the positive lug and the starter frame.  The starter should engage properly and crank the engine like normal. 

If it works ok with the jumper battery, check your battery and cables.  If it doesn't work, pull the starter and either rebuild it or replace it.  This site has a thread on rebuilding a starter. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys!! 

I finally pulled the starter out. I reconnected it well and put it back in place and it worked again. I guess I had some rust en the connections.

But after a few tries, I heard a strange noise like something breaking and then no start anymore. So I pulled out the starter again and

20200616-093138.jpg

The head is broken.

SO I ordered a new starter. But my question is : the part of the head of the starter which broke off, fell into the flywheel compartment...

I dont succeed in catching it, do you think its a problem  to run with it in the compartment ??

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mickeypowa said:

Hi guys!! 

I finally pulled the starter out. I reconnected it well and put it back in place and it worked again. I guess I had some rust en the connections.

But after a few tries, I heard a strange noise like something breaking and then no start anymore. So I pulled out the starter again and

20200616-093138.jpg

The head is broken.

SO I ordered a new starter. But my question is : the part of the head of the starter which broke off, fell into the flywheel compartment...

I dont succeed in catching it, do you think its a problem  to run with it in the compartment ??

Thanks

Mickey -

Sorry to hear about this.  I was hoping you had it fixed for good.

It will be hard to get that part to come out, but I think you should keep at it until you get it.  If the broken part gets hung in the flywheel or damper plate, you will have *big* trouble.  Do you know anybody with a USB inspection camera that you can put in there and look for the piece?

Also try to inspect the ring gear as much as possible to make sure it isn't damaged.

11 minutes ago, justgary said:

Mickey -

Sorry to hear about this.  I was hoping you had it fixed for good.

It will be hard to get that part to come out, but I think you should keep at it until you get it.  If the broken part gets hung in the flywheel or damper plate, you will have *big* trouble.  Do you know anybody with a USB inspection camera that you can put in there and look for the piece?

Also try to inspect the ring gear as much as possible to make sure it isn't damaged.

This!  You must remove that piece before it damages your flywheel and teeth by getting wedged between the bell housing a flywheel and speed it could be a disaster. 

Get a bendy magnet and see if you can extract the broken piece. Not good to have it floating around in there. 

There is a cover over the lower flywheel that will give you access to pull that part. I've not tried to pull it on an installed v-drive but it should be accessible. 

It looks like this:

https://imgur.com/t9zYFGv

20 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Get a bendy magnet and see if you can extract the broken piece.

I'm almost positive that part of the starter is aluminum, so a magnet won't do it.

22 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

There is a cover over the lower flywheel that will give you access to pull that part.

I like this idea.  I think Mickey has a direct drive, which would make it that much easier to access, but still not much room to work.