Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter Fuel line leak

SunsetterVa2000

HELP NEEDED!

I have a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter with the Indmar Monsoon motor. When I went to de-winterize it I noticed a pretty good fuel leak coming from the short fuel line going from the filter to the fuel pump. At first, I thought no big deal. Give Bakes.com a call and get a new one. Well, Indmar no longer makes that part and I was told someone will have to manufacture it for me. However, after taking it several places it was made apparent to me that the fitting with the o-ring that goes into filter is uncommon and no one can build it. Any advice? Know anyone who makes these? Can I use a different fuel filter that requires a common fitting?

52 minutes ago, SunsetterVa2000 said:

HELP NEEDED!

I have a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter with the Indmar Monsoon motor. When I went to de-winterize it I noticed a pretty good fuel leak coming from the short fuel line going from the filter to the fuel pump. At first, I thought no big deal. Give Bakes.com a call and get a new one. Well, Indmar no longer makes that part and I was told someone will have to manufacture it for me. However, after taking it several places it was made apparent to me that the fitting with the o-ring that goes into filter is uncommon and no one can build it. Any advice? Know anyone who makes these? Can I use a different fuel filter that requires a common fitting?

Can you post a few photos of the fitting you are talking about?

I had one made by my local hose and rubber supply house.  They had all the fittings.  I would also recommend contacting Vince at skidim

Just have them replace the hose section and reuse your fittings.  The swaged ferrules are standard parts.  Perhaps a hydraulic hose shop will have them and can swage them for you.

You can DIY by cutting the ferrules off with a hacksaw (do not cut too deep; you don't want to damage the barb or the rest of the fitting), then put new hose on and use regular hose clamps.  Use a new o-ring also.

For clarity, I'm talking about a diagonal cut only through the ferrule so that you can pry it up and remove the hose from the barb.  The ferrule should then slide free from the fitting.

EDIT:  Looking at the photos again, maybe the ferrule won't slide free over the barb.  You should still be able to cut it free and use a hose clamp.

Edited by justgary