Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

center tank won't fill, pump runs

djmodifyd

Hey all, first post!  I've learned a TON from this website for my new to me 2009 23LSV.  I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to by searching like I have everything else.

I was out yesterday, and for the first time tested all the MLS pumps.  Front, left and right filled and drained just fine.  The center tank would not fill.  It ran for a few minutes and the malivu screen never showed anything above 0%, and when I switched to drain nothing came out.  

I pulled the cartridge out, and there was no gunk, the impeller spun freely and spun when I quickly powered it on and off via the MUX switch.  I'm on a lift, so I had the ballcock open and could see straight through to the water below, and it was very clean inside.  The hoses that I could see at least weren't kinked or anything.

What else can I check?  Is there something I should try to do to get it primed?  I was moving forward 4ish MPH while testing them all out.  

Thanks all!

49 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Could you confirm that the pump was working but the tank level sensor was not?

after it ran for a few minutes (I could hear it buzzing, and felt it), I set it to drain and nothing came out (that pump runs as well)

Check for a kinked hose. Pumps are cheap. If it's running and not pumping, I'd start there. Change the cartridge with a different pump or just pick up another.

58 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Check for a kinked hose. Pumps are cheap. If it's running and not pumping, I'd start there. Change the cartridge with a different pump or just pick up another.

from what I could see hoses were fine, unless it's kinked somewhere I can't see it.  I'll try swapping the cartridge with a pump that I know works.

Would me moving be stopping it from picking up water?  Next time I'm out I could try filling it while not moving at all to see if that could be it

edit:  never mind a quick search tells me that's not it.  

Edited by djmodifyd

Just for grins stick a hose in the overflow for that tank and fill it with 5 gallons of water - then try pumping it out.  That'll at least tell you if the drain pump is working.

Have you verified that the correct pump is running? (fill switch is not turning on drain pump and vice versa)

Edited by oldjeep
59 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just for grins stick a hose in the overflow for that tank and fill it with 5 gallons of water - then try pumping it out.  That'll at least tell you if the drain pump is working.

Have you verified that the correct pump is running? (fill switch is not turning on drain pump and vice versa)

first I have to figure out which one is the overflow.  

As far as I can tell the correct pumps turn on.

52 minutes ago, djmodifyd said:

first I have to figure out which one is the overflow.  

As far as I can tell the correct pumps turn on.

If your pour water in the drain line it'll start shooting back out after you fill the hose.  The overflow will accept the water.  If you want a funny demonstration of this, go to a DNR invasive species cleaning station and watch them experiment with scalding hot water

Edited by oldjeep

Pump could have been air lock when you set it down from the lift.  

Can try and pull the pump cartridge when sitting in the water with the ball valve open and see if water will come in.  Then reinstall the cartridge and turn pump on.  Sometimes if mine won't start filling, I will turn the pump on and then drive the boat a bit to push the air lock bast the pump, this will get it to prime.   

1 hour ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Pump could have been air lock when you set it down from the lift.  

Can try and pull the pump cartridge when sitting in the water with the ball valve open and see if water will come in.  Then reinstall the cartridge and turn pump on.  Sometimes if mine won't start filling, I will turn the pump on and then drive the boat a bit to push the air lock bast the pump, this will get it to prime.   

thanks for the tips