Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you buy if you didn't need/want an inboard any longer?

Fffrank

20 hours ago, IXFE said:

I’ll take one of these... 

The all new Pursuit S378

1E925806-3717-4E42-B15E-7A6F8280F74C.jpeg

This looks very comparable to the Tiara ($275k) and the Whaler ($650k!!!) that I was on last week. Any idea on the price point? 

23 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

This looks very comparable to the Tiara ($275k) and the Whaler ($650k!!!) that I was on last week. Any idea on the price point? 

Base price before upgrades shows $690

E1353D7E-1B23-465C-BA51-290A58AE7C91.png

Edited by Stevo

A catamaran 50ft. 3000hp turbines. 180mph. I stumbled upon this vid 7 yrs ago. While working till 1030 PM to solve an engineering problem. If I am having a bad day, I watch this vid. It is awesome. Would I want that boat?? No way. But it is awesome. My choice would be a big 40' cruiser.

My better half and I have talked about this a little bit.  First, I will be done with our wakeboat... If, ... ..... and only when I cant surf anymore.   Im 60 now, and see no end in sight.   Surfing is so low impact, and SO fun that I cant imagine being "done" with it anytime in the next 10+ years. 

If that day comes, then the question is whether I will have the appetite to tow, launch, recover, and clean ANY boat.   If I dont have the energy/ability to get up on a surfboard, then my guess is I would not have the ability to climb up and down into the boat on the trailer... nor the kind of cleaning/maintenance that is needed on a boat.

On the off chance that I could, and would want to, I would probably go towards a cruiser that would handle rough water well, be comfortable to go out, fish, hang out, eat, drink, etc and just be in nature.   Ideally that could be kept in a slip, but the waiting list for slips at our lake is over 10 years... so I would already have to be on the waiting list, and I am not.. :-)

So... I guess that means a Malibu will be around for quite a while.

Edited by JeffC
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 11:47 AM, Stevo said:

Since we are talking hypothetically. A midnight express would be high on my list.(pipe dream)

something in the 34-40ft range , there are several quality boat brands , and it would probably come down to what fits the budget

If I could stand living in Florida I’d be making runs to the Bahamas and fishing all the time.

Headed to the midnight express factory tomorrow for a tour and some test drives. When I'm invited to go boat shopping with a friend.... I'm available!

Well, we did sell ours last year and have gone the way of the toon. After some injuries for me and ongoing health issues for both my wife and kid, we decided to slow it down and go for that sweet smooth ride. I miss the ELX every day but our boat outings have tripled in number since switching due to the ride comfort difference of the two boats. Even got my Mom and Dad out on an all day cruise last fall before his health really turned, which I'll be forever grateful for. No way that trip happened in my little Malibu.

Next will either be no boat or the Bennington Bowrider 20 with a 150 on it when the used market hits our range. For now it's an older 20 footer that we repowered from 40 up to the max 90 rating. Took it from a pedestrian 14 MPH max to hanging off the ragged edge at 26...  At least the dog gets his blow out on the way back to the ramp so he's dry before getting in the truck. Sits on a bunk trailer and we've stripped all the 90s graphics off of the outside leaving it plain white. Still ugly.

• Like 4
On 5/22/2020 at 3:37 PM, UWSkier said:

If money were no object, a DCB M41 or M44 powered by a pair of these.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/1750-competition/

The Malibu at roughly 5 mins just about blown right off the lake.

So many reactions to this video... 

1.) BADA$$

2.) Watching that boat rock around 159 mph - now I understand why these wrecks occur as often as they do

3.) I'm not used to this sort of boat traffic on my home lake (Table Rock), but I don't think I'd feel very safe as one of the normal boaters with these guys flying around.

• Like 2
On 5/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, RyanB said:

For retirement my wife and I have talked about getting a boat that we could possibly do the intercostal. 

Something like this would work nicely. This is my buddies boat that he keeps in Homer. Twin 300 Suzuki’s. He had enough fuel to take it from Seattle up to Homer. But still small enough that you can trailer (with a wide load). I think it is 43’ x 12’. 

9108DC27-A6AA-4A67-86A0-C1A04A5AF4C3.jpeg

luv the workboat style

• Like 2
On 5/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, UWSkier said:

If money were no object, a DCB M41 or M44 powered by a pair of these.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/1750-competition/

The Malibu at roughly 5 mins just about blown right off the lake.

If anyone ever got that close to me at that speed I would lose my mind!  That is crazy!  

21 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

If anyone ever got that close to me at that speed I would lose my mind!  That is crazy!  

I can't believe how rough it is out there and that they don't clear the course for these guys when this is going on.

But how cool would it be to ride in that thing?  I love how around 10 mins, that other ridiculously fast boat is right up alongside him before he finally finds a relatively smooth line and simply checks out.  It's like that boat has another gear or something.  Crazy power.

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I can't believe how rough it is out there and that they don't clear the course for these guys when this is going on.

But how cool would it be to ride in that thing?  I love how around 10 mins, that other ridiculously fast boat is right up alongside him before he finally finds a relatively smooth line and simply checks out.  It's like that boat has another gear or something.  Crazy power.

We have a bunch if these sorts of things near us - you see them rip around at 100-125 mph and burn enough gas to keep MBS smiling.  M44's custom things with 2000-3000 HP engines - crazy.