Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you buy if you didn't need/want an inboard any longer?

Fffrank

I'm still firmly in the tow-boat category but over the last year have had some experiences that have made me think what-if?  In the fall we traveled to Belize and spent all week on a center console with twin 350s.  Great day boat.  Was obviously more about the fishing but I can see the appeal of outboards and these boats tend to have a deep keel which make them handle chop really well.  Weekends on our river can be a pretty miserable run since it's dominated by big cruisers.

And then this week a friend of mine invited me to demo two boats he is considering.  A Tiara 34LS and a Boston Whaler Realm 350.  Both have pluses and minuses -- but being in these boats really got me dreaming about the center console/outboard life.  I see very little use for the cabins in either of these boats (we have a king size bed and air conditioning within a mile of the marina) but I can't argue with the appeal of a little lounge to get out of the rain or a 60mph top speed.

So.... Bu Crew.... what would you consider if you bailed on the inboard?  Why?

Just sold my outboard. If I got another it would either be 25’+ center console for offshore fishing or something like a shallow draft Tidewater for inshore fishing or island hopping along the carolina coast. I have no desire to go back though. I go to the beach to enjoy the beach and surf. I hit the lakes to boat and... surf! 

Right tool, right job.  Short way of saying it all depends on where and what for.  Up here in the north country we have an 17' aluminum fishing boat for an alternate.  Doubles as a work platform for things like the lift canopy or in our colder seasons when overnight temps are freezing.  If I were in a place with a lot of underwater hazards, would go back to an I/O(MIssouri river and unpredictable sandbars).  If I were....  You get the picture.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Since we are talking hypothetically. A midnight express would be high on my list.(pipe dream)

something in the 34-40ft range , there are several quality boat brands , and it would probably come down to what fits the budget

If I could stand living in Florida I’d be making runs to the Bahamas and fishing all the time.

This is definitely who Tiara is gunning for (at around half the price.)  And Whaler has in their sights at around the same price point w/ many more features.

I should have said, what I really want to do is say, screw it all to jobs and responsibilities.  50ft sailing catamaran.  No speed but no where to be either.  Just wander around the world for a few years.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MNNewb said:

I should have said, what I really want to do is say, screw it all to jobs and responsibilities.  50ft sailing catamaran.  No speed but no where to be either.  Just wander around the world for a few years.

This is exactly what I want to do. I lived on a sailboat for the first 15 years of my life and miss it. When my kids are all grown and out I plan on buying a cat and sailing the world. 

Really love the Lagoon 42 and 450 Flybridge

• Like 2

I had a 53' Viking sport fisher right after college, sold it when it filling the tanks hit .... hard enough to not be able to afford it. 2 cabins, and fuel tanks to run at 35 knots for 3 days..... all that salt water is so much too much maintenance though. 

I would go big houseboat, somewhere that snow skiing wasn't too far away, and keep the bu's

4 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I had a 53' Viking sport fisher right after college, sold it when it filling the tanks hit .... hard enough to not be able to afford it. 2 cabins, and fuel tanks to run at 35 knots for 3 days..... all that salt water is so much too much maintenance though. 

I would go big houseboat, somewhere that snow skiing wasn't too far away, and keep the bu's

Those Viking Boats aren’t cheap. I was just looking at them on some site. 20 year 65’ for like $1.5mil 

5 minutes ago, 808jaymakoa said:

Those Viking Boats aren’t cheap. I was just looking at them on some site. 20 year 65’ for like $1.5mil 

Yeah, super solid boat though.

10 hours ago, Stevo said:

Since we are talking hypothetically. A midnight express would be high on my list.(pipe dream)

something in the 34-40ft range , there are several quality boat brands , and it would probably come down to what fits the budget

If I could stand living in Florida I’d be making runs to the Bahamas and fishing all the time.

Rented this boat for the day in St Thomas (same configuration). Awesome way to island hop! Really fast across relatively flat water.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’ll take one of these... 

The all new Pursuit S378

1E925806-3717-4E42-B15E-7A6F8280F74C.jpeg

Top of the line center console right there. And no to the people who are going to say it... not just because they are under the Malibu umbrella now. They were and still are unreal boats. 

For retirement my wife and I have talked about getting a boat that we could possibly do the intercostal. 

Something like this would work nicely. This is my buddies boat that he keeps in Homer. Twin 300 Suzuki’s. He had enough fuel to take it from Seattle up to Homer. But still small enough that you can trailer (with a wide load). I think it is 43’ x 12’. 

9108DC27-A6AA-4A67-86A0-C1A04A5AF4C3.jpeg

I keep saying that when I’m done with sport boats I want a 40’+ with a fly bridge. Leave it in a slip at the River here in Sacramento and be able to take it for a weekend (or week) to the bay. Wouldn’t need a full on yacht but like an older sea ray or something like this. 

277ECF70-40B0-43CD-A9C1-A3FA4B7DEE58.png

• Like 2
MalibuNation

A fast pontoon that way I don't have to mess with my boat lift.  Nice 300 hp outboard so I could still ski and wakeboard.  I've worked and played hard all my life so my body tells me to take it easy behind the boat.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

A fast pontoon that way I don't have to mess with my boat lift.  Nice 300 hp outboard so I could still ski and wakeboard.  I've worked and played hard all my life so my body tells me to take it easy behind the boat.

I use to do a lot of trolling out on lake Michigan with a couple of my buddies who had big lake boats with down riggers and everything.  I loved it.  I didn't do it for a few years and the last two times I went out with them trolling :vomit:.  Plus those boats are a lot of work.  I had been on a couple other large yachts out in Lake Michigan also and those were nice for going from harbor to harbor (St. Joe to South Haven), especially when somebody else was driving.
I am with you on the pontoon.  Having a house on a lake a tri-toon would be the most practical right now.  A Chris-Craft would be cool or maybe the expanding pontoon/party barge. 

1582569317_Boat2.thumb.jpg.1e979136369615c47a3a7928fe7b4b68.jpg

boat.thumb.jpg.ed2bbb15a17297ff549524126d37d61c.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve always thought it would be fun to explore every inch of Lake Powell in one of these sometime in November-February. It would be chilly, but you’d basically have the whole lake to yourself. Cover a lot of ground quick if you wanted to and a warm place to sleep.

A186D78F-FB2E-4F10-983C-5167BC277F7F.jpeg

22 hours ago, Stevo said:

This is us.  My kids are 5 and 8 - but the goal being to have a summer home (maybe permanent :biggrin:) in Naples / Cape Coral when they move out.  Be able to boat around there and make trips down to the Keys is our dream.  I think a Midnight Express, Nor-Tech, Sunsation and others are incredible boats.  Most fall outside our foreseeable price range even used.  I can imagine a 30' used fitting our bill.

21 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Had an old resin bucket once.  Much slower than anything you have up there.  67 down hill, wind at my back with little to no chop running on fumes....  Before kids when it was just the wife and I.  

IMG_4656.JPG

1 hour ago, vaporbluebu said:

I’ve always thought it would be fun to explore every inch of Lake Powell in one of these sometime in November-February. It would be chilly, but you’d basically have the whole lake to yourself. Cover a lot of ground quick if you wanted to and a warm place to sleep.

A186D78F-FB2E-4F10-983C-5167BC277F7F.jpeg

Yes this is what I would want, something with some decent sleeping room and enough outside space. Maybe just a bit bigger for being in the ocean. 
I live surrounding some of the most beautiful coastal waters of Vancouver island and never get a chance to explore them. Or even zip over to lake Washington for the nw open wakesurf comp and go through the locks, endless possibilities. 

• Like 1