Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

Hi everyone. Like many others I am dismayed at the poor design, poor communication and horrible service from both Medallion and Malibu concerning the Viper module. Does anyone know the cause of the delamination problem?  Ie; Is it time-based, exposure to sun/heat, amount of button-pushing? What's likely to accelerate failure of the unit? Also, has Medallion done a re-design of current manufactured replacement units so they last longer and are more reliable?  So much money for something with as good as no warranty, given that it will be installed for me here in Australia and then it will be 5 months (coming into winter here) before it get used on the water.

Last question: Has anyone upgraded an older (2012-2018 VLX to the latest Command Centre to get away from the Medallion problem... I assume crazy expensive? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Illinois Wakesetter said:

Does anyone that has replaced have a functioning delaminated one of these they would part with? 

I just ordered a new one - what are you planning on doing with a messed up one?  I was thinking of making a small case for it as a shrine to the nearly 2K it cost ;)

Probably need to combine this thread with the other one on MTC.  The other thread name is "Malibu Touch Command Issues"

@HPskier1 posted this earlier "Just got my new screen to put in reserve until my old one actually fails. Dealer told me these would be discontinued and not manufactured after August of this year... can”t beleive that but wouldn’t surprise me!"

If this is the case all of us who have the screen that goes out will be screwed.  We need to get a manual switch solution.  Some have mentioned working on it but has anyone taken pictures and documented the steps on how to make it work?

• 1 month later...

Just replaced mine this week. Super easy to do.  Got it through my local Tommy's... they had 2 or 3, but the price was WOAH.  Almost $4k... they seem to know what they have. :rtfm:

My old one still functioned but was bubbling pretty quick. I could notice it spread day to day. I was too afraid it would die in the next few weeks and we'd be SOL in the prime of boat season, so I pulled the trigger and swapped it while days missed was still 0.

I also noticed that the typical online places are showing backorder dates for the next manufacturing run into late Sept...but with this electronics shortage, I've been seeing dates like that getting pushed into 2022 in the blink of an eye. That said, my advice would be to buy whatever is on the shelf... but its probably going to cost an extra grand...

Also, anyone need a functioning but bubbling one? May not last long, maybe it will.. but at least it'll get you back on the water ...for now...

52 minutes ago, Sessionable said:

Just replaced mine this week. Super easy to do.  Got it through my local Tommy's... they had 2 or 3, but the price was WOAH.  Almost $4k... they seem to know what they have. :rtfm:

My old one still functioned but was bubbling pretty quick. I could notice it spread day to day. I was too afraid it would die in the next few weeks and we'd be SOL in the prime of boat season, so I pulled the trigger and swapped it while days missed was still 0.

I also noticed that the typical online places are showing backorder dates for the next manufacturing run into late Sept...but with this electronics shortage, I've been seeing dates like that getting pushed into 2022 in the blink of an eye. That said, my advice would be to buy whatever is on the shelf... but its probably going to cost an extra grand...

Also, anyone need a functioning but bubbling one? May not last long, maybe it will.. but at least it'll get you back on the water ...for now...

i may be interested depending on how well this service i am using does.  I will buy it as a backup and have it repaired.  If you still have it after next week, i will buy it.  FYI, the shop I am sending my screen to is said to only charge around $300 to fix the delimitation issue.  Malibu also told me that the screens are on back order until September.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, DoubleBarrellDarryl said:

i may be interested depending on how well this service i am using does.  I will buy it as a backup and have it repaired.  If you still have it after next week, i will buy it.  FYI, the shop I am sending my screen to is said to only charge around $300 to fix the delimitation issue.  Malibu also told me that the screens are on back order until September.  

If its $300 to fix, you just made the shop the TMC vendor of the year...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sessionable said:

4K????  @COOP was selling them for under 2K when I bought mine a few weeks ago.   Pretty despicable that they are selling over list price.

22 minutes ago, DoubleBarrellDarryl said:

Care to share who the shop is?  I've got one sitting in a box in my office at the moment.  Still fully functional but was going fast.

Edited by oldjeep
Just now, oldjeep said:

4K????  @COOP was selling them for under 2K when I bought mine a few weeks ago.   Pretty despicable that they are selling over list price.

Yep...you can hop on the backorder list for that price still at a few places.  I told them thats pretty messed up just because you've got the last 3... I kinda got a "yeah I know.." look from the guy ringing me up, then he threw in some free swag...

I saw it as the convenience fee of having it in my hands vs being on backorder in mid july with a boat that has no surf function...  I just knew that if I decided to say "naw..I'll risk it" that I'd have a boat load of friends ready to surf on a perfectly warm July evening and we all would've been wishing I just spent the extra cash to have a worry free summer...

But yes... I'd say they know what they are doing... still stings to...

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Care to share who the shop is?  I've got one sitting in a box in my office at the moment.  Still fully functional but was going fast.

Yes I'd like to know as well. 

On 6/25/2021 at 3:55 PM, hunter77ah said:

If its $300 to fix, you just made the shop the TMC vendor of the year...

Can you send me contact info for this shop, please! Thanks

[email protected] 

I sent a PM to him 5 days ago and it has not been read.  Hopefully he responds but don't get your hopes up.  Only 2 posts and just joined.  Would love for there to be a solution so waiting patiently.

Did anyone else experience where only a certain screen had issues?  All of my screens work except for my switch screen. Can’t turn blower off after start up but it will go off after several minutes and can’t turn on bilge. Other screen functions are fine. 2013 23 LSV. 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:06 AM, DoubleBarrellDarryl said:

Hi guys, this has now happened to me on my 2012 VLX.  Bubbles around the edges, Powerwedge Up button, Switch are unresponsive.  Start/Stop Engine is hit or miss.  Bought an ignition switch by pass from Malibu to get me by for now and it works.  

I may have some good news for everyone.  I called a some random dealership in the Midwest to order the parts since you cannot order directly from Malibu.  They gave me a lead for a place that they have used several times in the past for repairing this exact issue.  I am sending my screen to them now and will report back on the results.  Fingers crossed.

Any updates on this one? @DoubleBarrellDarryl

My dealer is out of stock of the MTC, 3962052..  We have a lot of moisture under the outer glass and sometimes some of the touch buttons don't work.  I desperately want to add a mechanical ignition switch.  Dealer said they have 4 wires.  Can someone please help me and let me know where to connect these wires so I don't get stranded?  My 2013 24MXZ did not come with a key ignition, only the touch screen 'start engine'.  HELP?

@201324MXZMy 2013 txi has an ignition switch to the right of the drivers seat below the throttle near the circuit breakers and 12 volt power outlet. It is difficult to see. You might take a second look at this area before you buy an ignition switch. 

13 hours ago, 201324MXZ said:

My dealer is out of stock of the MTC, 3962052..  We have a lot of moisture under the outer glass and sometimes some of the touch buttons don't work.  I desperately want to add a mechanical ignition switch.  Dealer said they have 4 wires.  Can someone please help me and let me know where to connect these wires so I don't get stranded?  My 2013 24MXZ did not come with a key ignition, only the touch screen 'start engine'.  HELP?

Early Model Year 2011 are the only boats that did not have an ignition switch override.  As @4skinuts mentions, check directly below the throttle at the fuse panel.  There may even be a key hanging out of it. 

Thanks, bcoppess23 and 4skinuts.  I will check this weekend.  That would be great!  Any ideas on how to drain the water from the front of the MTC?

10 minutes ago, 201324MXZ said:

Thanks, bcoppess23 and 4skinuts.  I will check this weekend.  That would be great!  Any ideas on how to drain the water from the front of the MTC?

If you’re stuck and need to drain your bow ballast tank in a pinch — just remove the carpet trim piece. The pump is right there you can just apply 12V to it and it’ll drain out. 

thanks, wakeparadise.  Is there a way to directly reply to  your comment without adding a complete, new post?