Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

57 minutes ago, cuescreens said:

Absolutely, happy to help. Feel free to post any questions here and I can help address them. 

Good work here, it has been great watching you progress through the different iterations! 

Once you get through the initial rush of orders, the people with the 2015-2020 models have a 12" screen that are now starting to have similar issues.  Malibu boat owners can keep you in business for a while!!  I fully expect '21 and newer will eventually have the problem too..

3 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Good work here, it has been great watching you progress through the different iterations! 

Once you get through the initial rush of orders, the people with the 2015-2020 models have a 12" screen that are now starting to have similar issues.  Malibu boat owners can keep you in business for a while!!  I fully expect '21 and newer will eventually have the problem too..

Thanks! I'll move on to the other models after getting this one on its way. If anyone has core units, I am always welcoming them so I can have the engineers at the factory start designing.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:26 AM, bcoppess23 said:

This is the first I am hearing that the 20-22 boats are having screen issues. You have any links or pictures?

7 hours ago, dwc032 said:

This is the first I am hearing that the 20-22 boats are having screen issues. You have any links or pictures?

I had to replace mine on my 2019 in 2020 @230hrs. It started in the corners as bubbles. When I took it in for the swap the parts guys said that, “he had plenty in stock on the shelf”. I thought that was an odd statement for a new boat. Makes you wonder if this was/is a known issue for the foreseeable future.

8 hours ago, dwc032 said:

No, I am stating that I expect it will, not that I have facts to back it up.  As @wdr just stated, it happened on his 2019, I expect it to continue into the newer design on the newer boats.  My reason for my opinion is that, it is my understanding these devices are still made by Medallion and therefore, they haven't solved the problem.  

I think heat was the culprit on mine. Granted I am not boating way down south, and the Bimini is always up. But, the screen stays on pretty much all day unless we are beached some where and that black crinkle finish is a pretty good heat sink for the screen. If we are stopped for any period of time I try to cover it and my iPhone with a towel. My next screen issue will for sure be an out of pocket significant emotional event which I am trying to avoid as long as possible. 

1 hour ago, wdr said:

I think heat was the culprit on mine. Granted I am not boating way down south, and the Bimini is always up. But, the screen stays on pretty much all day unless we are beached some where and that black crinkle finish is a pretty good heat sink for the screen. If we are stopped for any period of time I try to cover it and my iPhone with a towel. My next screen issue will for sure be an out of pocket significant emotional event which I am trying to avoid as long as possible. 

On my boat, I had my windows tinted with carbon ceramic IR film and it has made a big improvement on reducing the amount of heat on the dash to help protect the electronics up there.  If you haven't already tinted your windows, I would look into doing this.  I can leave my phone on my dash in direct sunlight and my phone does not heat up like it would without the tint.  In my other boats, I would have some lesser quality tint installed and the dash would still get hot.

Wow, as soon as Cuescreens came up with an apperent fix for the 11-14 screens people started chiming in about problems with other models. What does that tell you.

I don't mean to downplay what cuescreens has acheived in any way but it is still a touch screen. There is no discussion anyware on togle switch's failing. Maybe that's why Supra has backup togle switches for all touch screen functions.

10 hours ago, lake4life said:

It tells me that Medallion makes s*** screens, that's what it tells me.  I was just watching some videos on Pavati Wakeboats and their relationship with Garmin who provide their screens.  They were saying how happy they were with Garmin and have not had a single warranty claim on any of their screens going on 10 years now.  Not trying to compare Pavati to Malibu I know they are on a different level, but just mention this to say screens CAN be manufactured to be very reliable and this is a Medallion issue not a touch screen issue in general.

Would anyone be interested in a relatively inexpensive product consisting of an iphone/android app paired with a bluetooth enabled module that plugs into the MTC harness as a backup or replacement for the MTC? I think this idea has been floated before, but I've recently done some initial research and I think I can develop it over the off season. Once this is done, it would be a simple add-on to install a tablet in place of the screen. If there are any owners who have issues/concerns with the MTC locking up or going completely dead, in addition to delaminating, this could be a good option. I'd like to gauge the interest level before dedicating a bunch of time to it.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lackhawkdown said:

Would anyone be interested in a relatively inexpensive product consisting of an iphone/android app paired with a bluetooth enabled module that plugs into the MTC harness as a backup or replacement for the MTC? I think this idea has been floated before, but I've recently done some initial research and I think I can develop it over the off season. Once this is done, it would be a simple add-on to install a tablet in place of the screen. If there are any owners who have issues/concerns with the MTC locking up or going completely dead, in addition to delaminating, this could be a good option. I'd like to gauge the interest level before dedicating a bunch of time to it.

Message me if you would like.  I am working on exactly this solution.  I have a relay board heading my way and a PC already set up for testing.  I even found an IP65 screen with a small computer built in. 

9 hours ago, Lackhawkdown said:

Absolutely - even if just for the piece of mind.  the "integrated table" is secondary in my opinion, as controlling from a phone would be fine in my opinion. although not sleek and sexy...

On 9/29/2022 at 4:49 AM, Wakeswitches said:

I'm interested in this solution. If you can make it to a sexy tablet solution (ipad preferred) I'd go this way :) 

• Like 2

I know we have some dealers on the forum. I'm hearing that Malibu corp. is instructing it's dealers to steer clear of even mentioning the availability of any after market solutions to this problem. Anyone else herd this.