Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

10 minutes ago, wakeparadise said:

God that sounds painful. It makes me hateful towards Malibu for not supporting it and Medallion for creating this mess...

Bakes online has been out of stock since April, and still has none.  My guess is that failures are outrunning production at Medallion.  This is going to hell fast.

34 minutes ago, OskiD said:

Bakes online has been out of stock since April, and still has none.  My guess is that failures are outrunning production at Medallion.  This is going to hell fast.

What a disaster. Do the new boats still come with medallion built screens or has malibu changed OEMs?

1 hour ago, OskiD said:

Update: Today my Malibu dealer informed me that his restock order for the touchscreen is backordered indefinitely from Malibu with no estimate of when it can be shipped.  So I am exploring repair options and/or workarounds so I can use the boat.  Will keep you all posted.

Side note-- my boat has surfgates and bluetooth controls on that screen.  There are no corresponding bypass slots on the CPU panels for these.  So in my case, I cannot make a physical switch panel to handle all the functions needed.

The bluetooth could be replaced with an aftermarket stereo.

The surfgates could probably be rewired. Just need power to operate the actuators. Rudimentary but could work.  You might could also try to work with the guys at Go Surf Assist they may have interest in making a controller that could be used to operate gates in a boat of this era if they thought there was enough market for it.

33 minutes ago, tbullard said:

The bluetooth could be replaced with an aftermarket stereo.

The surfgates could probably be rewired. Just need power to operate the actuators. Rudimentary but could work.  You might could also try to work with the guys at Go Surf Assist they may have interest in making a controller that could be used to operate gates in a boat of this era if they thought there was enough market for it.

Doesn't martin Archer have a whole gate setup?

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:  My dealer still does not have a replacement screen nor do they know when they will get it from Malibu.  I sent my old screen to an industrial repair center specializing in touch screens.  They informed me that the case is molded/glued to the screen so it cannot be disassembled without cutting the case open.  I told them to go ahead and cut, but save the pieces for me.  They did that and are now searching for a compatible TS with the same ribbon connector as the original.  That last step has been going on for a week now, no answers yet.

Meanwhile I planned out a switch panel to take advantage of the bypass fuse slots in the two under-helm control boxes.  That leaves a question for my fellow Malibu owners who have been through the minefield before me-- the fuses and their bypass slots do not include surfgates.  Does anyone out there know where I can tap that functionality?  Where are the relays or drivers for the surfgates?  Thanks in advance for anyone that can help...

7 minutes ago, OskiD said:

UPDATE:  My dealer still does not have a replacement screen nor do they know when they will get it from Malibu.  I sent my old screen to an industrial repair center specializing in touch screens.  They informed me that the case is molded/glued to the screen so it cannot be disassembled without cutting the case open.  I told them to go ahead and cut, but save the pieces for me.  They did that and are now searching for a compatible TS with the same ribbon connector as the original.  That last step has been going on for a week now, no answers yet.

Meanwhile I planned out a switch panel to take advantage of the bypass fuse slots in the two under-helm control boxes.  That leaves a question for my fellow Malibu owners who have been through the minefield before me-- the fuses and their bypass slots do not include surfgates.  Does anyone out there know where I can tap that functionality?  Where are the relays or drivers for the surfgates?  Thanks in advance for anyone that can help...

Can you get them to send you photos of the LCD panel?  I may be able to source a replacement unit.  When I went down this path it wasn't possible to remove the LCD from the control board without destroying it but I'm happy to take another look as obviously this has become an even more important piece of the boat.  

• Like 2

Still following. My Malivew screen was replaced this week due to delamination. I’m afraid my touch screen isn’t far behind. Replacing both will be right at $5000. 

40 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Can you get them to send you photos of the LCD panel?  I may be able to source a replacement unit.  When I went down this path it wasn't possible to remove the LCD from the control board without destroying it but I'm happy to take another look as obviously this has become an even more important piece of the boat.  

Will do, thanks

Argh... my touchscreen is on it's way out as well on my 2012.  I can usually get it to start working again by power cycling the boat.   I had to hunt down my boat key so I wouldn't get stranded on the lake not able to start the engine.  I've also been trying to put a towel or shirt over the screen if we are anchored to cut down on the direct sun hoping to extend the screens life.  I don't have surf gate but I do have GSA.  I believe I could do switches for everything that the touchscreen is currently controlling.  I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

8 hours ago, browneye253 said:

Argh... my touchscreen is on it's way out as well on my 2012.  I can usually get it to start working again by power cycling the boat.   I had to hunt down my boat key so I wouldn't get stranded on the lake not able to start the engine.  I've also been trying to put a towel or shirt over the screen if we are anchored to cut down on the direct sun hoping to extend the screens life.  I don't have surf gate but I do have GSA.  I believe I could do switches for everything that the touchscreen is currently controlling.  I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

I can help you with the switch plan.  It won't be too difficult without surf gates.  I took my touchscreen out over the winter and kept it in the house to prolong its life.  We had a cool spring this year.  It lasted about a month on the boat in mild weather, then the right third of the screen would not sense touch.  I kept the key in the boat thank goodness, or I would not have been able to get home.  It failed while out surfing of course...

UPDATE 3:

Learned today the touchscreen repair facility cannot source a suitable screen replacement.  I called my dealer who repeated that all units are on indefinite backorder, and other parts like ballast pumps are also back ordered.  Malibu is not communicating with its dealer network, so the parts desk guy says he has no information to offer. 

So I explained my plan to create a switch bank to get by for the summer.  I needed the dealer's help to understand where the surfgates are driven from, as they are not on the 2 fuse boards that have bypass slots.  He claimed they have no wiring diagrams or service manuals for that part of the boats.  And he said he did not have time to discuss it with me.

Are any of (your) dealers out there that can be more helpful with wiring information for the surfgates?  I will try tracing the wires myself, but hoped to be more efficient than that...

I have confirmation that tapping into position S (bottom right)on the 16 pin connector will start the engine as this communicates to pin 52 on the ECU labeled "start input trigger".   With that being said I've been told all I need is a momentary switch sending 12 volts to this position until the engine starts.  

With that being said when 12 volt signal is sent back to this position while the engine is running does this tell the engine to stop or do you just simply hit the power button on the dash?  Can anyone confirm this????  

• 4 weeks later...

My Touchscreen for my 2013 23 LSV has been slowly degrading over the last several years and finally gave out about a month ago.  The dealer told me that the touchscreen is back ordered and should be back in stock August 8.  But given what I have read, I am concerned that it will never arrive.  This thread has had no activity since June and I am wondering if others found a solution or if the conversation switch to a different thread.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18 hours ago, Chavannes said:

My Touchscreen for my 2013 23 LSV has been slowly degrading over the last several years and finally gave out about a month ago.  The dealer told me that the touchscreen is back ordered and should be back in stock August 8.  But given what I have read, I am concerned that it will never arrive.  This thread has had no activity since June and I am wondering if others found a solution or if the conversation switch to a different thread.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trust me - even though there hasn’t been any posts since June this POS screen is on my mind every time I take the boat out. It’s garbage.  The only solution as it stands right now is to shell out thousands of dollars for another POS screen. 

What is even worse than shelling out $2,400 is having a family vacation planned, with a lakeside home rented (non-refundable) in three weeks and a non-functioning boat.  I have checked everywhere and it is out of stock, and the expected ship date is August 8 which is too late.  I saw that some people were able to bypass the screen to start the boat but I am wondering if anyone has found a way to adapt the newer Malibu touchscreens such as the Viper2  (Part Number 3962056.2) as a replacement for the MTC (Part Number 3962052)?  Any other technical solutions? 

• 2 weeks later...

My screen went out last week.  Actually its just the backlight, but as others have mentioned I would destroy the screen trying to get it unglued from the case.  Malibu will not give an estimated date on a new screen.  What a joke!  I am suprised no one has figure out where to source a new screen (LCD and backlight)

If anyone has old/broken screens I'm happy to give this another shot to fix. I am confident I can source the correct parts but it's the bonding method that is the trouble. Still - I'm happy to try and have extra time on my hands these days.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. @statefan was kind enough to send me a screen and my experiments have been positive so far! I'd like to keep testing some ideas and was hoping someone would be able to probe the connector on the back of the screen and tell me which pins seem like +12v and ground? Would def help if I'm able to power up the screen and to test.

• 6 months later...

Anyone had any news?

Went to go start the process of getting my '14 ready for summer and noticed the top appears to have delaminated while sitting untouched in a climate controlled garage.  Everything seems functional, but over the last 2 weeks, its definitely spreading.

Getting to the non-functional point right when summer starts with no parts available would be no bueno...

Does anyone have a old screen #3962052 they wanna donate that has delaminated? I’m having an issue w my boat 2014 23 LSV when I go to start it from the screen the motor starts up then dies 2 seconds later and my screen resets but when I start it from the Manual Key it starts and runs fine. I was thinking I would try another screen before dropping $2500 on a screen. Thanks guys. 

1 hour ago, mympower said:

Does anyone have a old screen #3962052 they wanna donate that has delaminated? I’m having an issue w my boat 2014 23 LSV when I go to start it from the screen the motor starts up then dies 2 seconds later and my screen resets but when I start it from the Manual Key it starts and runs fine. I was thinking I would try another screen before dropping $2500 on a screen. Thanks guys. 

@COOPcan hook you up for less than $2500.