Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Wakesetter VLX pricing advice

Pauliep

Hey Fellow Malibu owners, I currently have an 02 23 XTi we bought 2 years ago to see if we can get back in the boating scene. I just had a friend approach me about selling his 2007 Wakesetter VLX. It’s the 340hp, loaded up, power wedge, 3 built in ballast, 3 amp stereo, Illusion tower with Bimini, board and surf swivel racks. LED underwater lighting, dock lights. Replaced carpet with the sea deck Flooring ($3,500), composite swim platform. 350 hours. No heater or hot water. Black/Red/white exterior, White/Moonstone with Red bead interior (modeled after the 2007 brochure). 8 out of 10. my wife is not excited, or maybe better said, doesn’t like Red color. Tandem trailer, new tires, swing tongue. It’s either this or We shop for 2007-2012 23 or 247 wakesetter and spend a lot more. We have 4 in our family and would like to bring others out and be comfortable. 

He offered it to me for $27,500. Dealer, who has skin in the game to broker, said $35-40k but only gave generic NADA dealer pricing. I am looking for real advise on this deal. At first, he offered it at $30k, and I thought it was a killer, too good to pass up deal, but after hearing dealer, not sure. I have looked on boat trader, FB, craigslist and only inboards and seems asking prices are much higher. what are they really going for? 

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!!

$35-40 K is what I would think it would be worth....maybe low 30's if issues with gel-coat, interior.   Pics??  Hours?  Do you trust your friend??  In my mind, $27500 seems low.  What is wrong with it??

Mac

Couple of things to look at with that year/model.  Has anything been done with the Flywheel/bellhousing - is this one of the models that had the problems with these?  Look at the exhaust manifolds - the plugs where they filled in after they were cast start to deteriorate over time.  Initial symptom is a white crusty on the sides of the manifolds.  That is a good price, probably not great, but good.  Is he just giving you the price because of your relationship?

This is just outside the bellhousing/flywheel issue era.  That was late 2004 to early 2006.  

• Like 1

I do trust the guy. He offered to family first, before putting on “market” and included me in the offer. He is original owner, selling of due to getting out of activities in the sun using money for plane purchase. There are spider cracks on left rear above rub rail at the corner vent where they bumped a dock, the tower is scratched up, i guess from loading boards. Vinyl is not crisp and clean. May just need a good cleaning. Has been stored covered indoors, I have a couple pics, but not sure how to insert into post. 

Original owner, low hour, new tires, under 30k, sounds like it was well maintained. I would go to the bank right now and get him paid before he changes his mind. You could use it for a few years and sell it for what you paid.

• Like 2

We are proud owners of a 2007 Wakesetter VLX, I went by shop that was “summarizing and fixing a few minor things, we discovered it was not 350 hours, but  only 234 hours. All maintenance performed at local Malibu dealer. We did jump before he put on market. Thank you all for the feedback, it helped us make this decision. 

4 hours ago, Pauliep said:

We are proud owners of a 2007 Wakesetter VLX, I went by shop that was “summarizing and fixing a few minor things, we discovered it was not 350 hours, but  only 234 hours. All maintenance performed at local Malibu dealer. We did jump before he put on market. Thank you all for the feedback, it helped us make this decision. 

Nice let’s see some pics you got a great deal! 

I looked up that VTX link for $31,500, it is showing $44k. I am trying to figure out how to get some photos over to you all. Will get them asap. 

Thanks

18 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Agreed. But apples to oranges compared to the VLX.

Not apples to oranges at all, there is only 1 foot difference.  Generally I see VTX's sell for higher price than VLX of same year.  The VTX is a better all-around boat.

6 hours ago, mrothwell said:

Not apples to oranges at all, there is only 1 foot difference.  Generally I see VTX's sell for higher price than VLX of same year.  The VTX is a better all-around boat.

The VTX is 20’ and the VLX is 21’6” so 18” difference.  I’ve seen it both ways as far as sales.  It depends what you are using the boat for to say which one is a better boat there are lots of factors to consider.  Maybe apples to oranges was a stretch because they are somewhat similar boats.  

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX