Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge issues

Hello. I just picked up a 2009 Wakesetter 21 VLX with the power wedge. It has a 15 amp resettable fuse in the fuse box. When i hit the deploy button it would run for a second or two then trip. I read a TSB on here about the 2011/12 year boats and how to check alignment and also that some of those boats left the factory with a 15 amp fuse that should have been changed to a 20. Does anyone know if this is also true for a 2009? I put a 20 amp fuse in there and it fully deploys and comes back up without tripping the fuse. I also am having an issue with the wedge position sensor- I unbolted the lenco actuators and manually moved the wedge up and down several times on the trailer- i sprayed a little lubricant on the pivot bolts in an attempt to not have the 15 amp fuse trip.(it made no difference- fuse still tripped)  I manually pushed the wedge farther in the down direction than it would normally travel- then put it back in it regular position to put the actuators back on- the actuators were never moved while unbolted so everything should be right where it was before I started. The position sensor says it is fully up in the up position but only moves to about 1/2 way( max wake size/ deploy area) when the wedge is fully down- it never says it is at the fully down position. When I go to calibrate wedge on the malivue screen it says move wedge to down position (which I do) and the hit enter to calibrate- when I hit enter it says Position not Valid-  what am I doing wrong? I am doing this on the trailer with an air hose on the paddle wheel so it thinks the boat it going between 1-10 MPH. I have loosened the  2 screws on the sensor and tried adjusting it but no matter what it say position not valid when I hit the calibrate button.  Sorry for the the long winded post but just want to gives as much info as I can, Thanks for any suggestions- Tom

I had same issue and found one of my rams was bad.  The fuse trip was caused by one ram trying to do all the work and working against the bad ram.  I ended up buying two new rams.  I couldn't get my wedge to calibrate with the new rams so now I am replacing my viper module.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this ever get figured out? I have a 2011 Malibu 23lsv and I’m reaching out to Malibu because at this point I’m running out of options.  (I haven't had anyone reach out yet.) My power wedge is acting up all over the place.  It moves up and down just fine but it’s out of sync with the computer.  If I start with the wedge in full stow position and lower it 45 degrees on the screen, the actual wedge will move all the way down 90 degrees.  Vice versa if I have the wedge all the way down at 90 degrees and try to move it up to 45 degrees it will move to full stow.

Now after reading the manual online along with multiple forums I have learned that my 2011 is different from lets say a 2008 where you calibrate the wedge on the maliview screen.  According to my manual it states the following “If battery power is disconnected or the battery switch turned off, the Power Wedge will need to be cycled up and down twice after reconnecting for the system to relearn the Wedge Position.”

I have now tried this multiple times and it still does not calibrate it.  Again the forums state that the sensor may be bad.  When I look at the wedge I do not see a sensor.  After more research online I learned that since I do not have to calibrate the wedge on my screen like the older models, there is no sensor.  Fuses are fine.  I have reset the factory setting through the maliview screen.  I've done the ole flick the paddle wheel on the boat while on the trailer and still nothing.  I post this because this is the first forum I've found with someone (Sunsetter) having a similar issue when lowering/raising the wedge and the screen not matching up.  If I figure mine out i'll relay the info.

TKaus-

I have not totally solved my issues yet but found out some information about calibrating the wedge- After searching this website a bunch I found a post that talked about only trying to calibrate the wedge position while in the water- apparently the sensor if very sensitive as to what voltage it is seeing and it will act/ read differently if running off the battery(on the trailer) vs running off the alternator( motor running in the water)  I haven't had my boat in the water yet to see if it will calibrate while in the water- hoping to do this wednesday- will let you know if it works out for me with boat in water-

I tried to calibrate both on the water and on the trailer with no luck.  I will also try to calibrate it one more time on the water but I don't have my hopes up.  I have a feeling if I take it to my dealer they're just going to say to replace the actuators.

58 minutes ago, TKaus said:

I tried to calibrate both on the water and on the trailer with no luck.  I will also try to calibrate it one more time on the water but I don't have my hopes up.  I have a feeling if I take it to my dealer they're just going to say to replace the actuators.

How long have you been having this problem and how long have you owned the boat? I ask because I'm curious if your actuators were maybe replaced by a previous owner and your issue could be with the Lenco control box under the dash. I also have a 2011 LSV and I think at least one of my actuators is shot as mine keeps popping the 20A fuse at the control box. I'm planning to just replace the actuators but I'm not 100% sure whether I will have similar calibration issues if I don't replace my 3-lobe control box with the recommended 5-lobe. I know there's been plenty of folks who just replaced the rams and left the box without issue and my plan right now is to just give that a shot but the problem you describe sounds exactly like what Malibu and Lenco claim can happen if the factory 3-lobe rams are replaced with the new 5-lobe rams without changing the 3-lobe control box to the 5-lobe control box. I'm curious to hear from anyone with a 2011 specifically that's replaced their actuators to see what their experience was because you are right, there is no "hockey puck" sensor on my 2011 wedge and I know for sure that I have the 3-lobe control box based on the model number printed on it. 

41 minutes ago, statefan said:

How long have you been having this problem and how long have you owned the boat? I ask because I'm curious if your actuators were maybe replaced by a previous owner and your issue could be with the Lenco control box under the dash. I also have a 2011 LSV and I think at least one of my actuators is shot as mine keeps popping the 20A fuse at the control box. I'm planning to just replace the actuators but I'm not 100% sure whether I will have similar calibration issues if I don't replace my 3-lobe control box with the recommended 5-lobe. I know there's been plenty of folks who just replaced the rams and left the box without issue and my plan right now is to just give that a shot but the problem you describe sounds exactly like what Malibu and Lenco claim can happen if the factory 3-lobe rams are replaced with the new 5-lobe rams without changing the 3-lobe control box to the 5-lobe control box. I'm curious to hear from anyone with a 2011 specifically that's replaced their actuators to see what their experience was because you are right, there is no "hockey puck" sensor on my 2011 wedge and I know for sure that I have the 3-lobe control box based on the model number printed on it. 

I bought the boat July 2019, I'm the 2nd owner.  From what I know the actuators have not been replaced.  With that said its my understanding that 3-lobe actuators were what came not the boat.  How do I tell the difference from 3-lobe to 5-lobe because I can check to see what I have tomorrow and get back to you.  Also is the control box the same as the viper module? If so, where is that located and i'll try to see what model number I have printed on it.

1 hour ago, TKaus said:

I bought the boat July 2019, I'm the 2nd owner.  From what I know the actuators have not been replaced.  With that said its my understanding that 3-lobe actuators were what came not the boat.  How do I tell the difference from 3-lobe to 5-lobe because I can check to see what I have tomorrow and get back to you.  Also is the control box the same as the viper module? If so, where is that located and i'll try to see what model number I have printed on it.

Have you had these wedge issues since you've owned the boat or did it just start recently? If it's a new problem then it may not be an issue between the actuators and control box. I believe that 2012 was the first model year that came with the newer 5-lobe actuators and control box so yours should have the 3-lobe system like mine if everything is original. You can use the PDF linked below to match up the model numbers from your equipment to confirm. The control box is not the same as the viper module as it is a separate Lenco unit under the dash. I've included a picture of mine for reference. If you check the actuator part numbers and they are 15060-001's then that means they have likely been replaced and are the 5-lobe versions. Then you'd want to check the part number on your control box to see if it's the 3-lobe or 5-lobe version. If the actuators aren't the same version as the control box that could be the source of your calibration issue. For the record, I hope this is not the case as I'm about to the replace my actuators and I'm hoping I don't have to replace the control box as well to make the system work correctly. 

https://www.lencomarine.com/-/media/inriver/Ski_Boat_5_Lobe_Actuator_Upgrade_Conversion_Guide_2018_TCHDAT.pdf?modified=20200225160739

1525322911_LencoControlBox.jpg.e5b0e16898ff3bceb9ce7859d79fbb41.jpg

Edited by statefan
13 hours ago, statefan said:

Have you had these wedge issues since you've owned the boat or did it just start recently? If it's a new problem then it may not be an issue between the actuators and control box. I believe that 2012 was the first model year that came with the newer 5-lobe actuators and control box so yours should have the 3-lobe system like mine if everything is original. You can use the PDF linked below to match up the model numbers from your equipment to confirm. The control box is not the same as the viper module as it is a separate Lenco unit under the dash. I've included a picture of mine for reference. If you check the actuator part numbers and they are 15060-001's then that means they have likely been replaced and are the 5-lobe versions. Then you'd want to check the part number on your control box to see if it's the 3-lobe or 5-lobe version. If the actuators aren't the same version as the control box that could be the source of your calibration issue. For the record, I hope this is not the case as I'm about to the replace my actuators and I'm hoping I don't have to replace the control box as well to make the system work correctly. 

https://www.lencomarine.com/-/media/inriver/Ski_Boat_5_Lobe_Actuator_Upgrade_Conversion_Guide_2018_TCHDAT.pdf?modified=20200225160739

I have had the boat out approx. 8 times since buying it and its been the last 3 times that there has been an issue or at least what I knew to be the issue so I believe it just recently started.  Prior to finding this post and prior to conducting the tests on the water and on the trailer, I initially thought my actuators may be going out so I looked to see what part number they had.  I couldn't find one but I took a photograph of the only number I could find which was "3JFH2" but I couldn't find anything that corresponded to it.  I did see that the new 5-lobe on Malibu's parts site had then number "5JAM2" so I assumed the 5 meant 5 pole and the 3 meant 3 pole.  Anyhow I'll check the boat today for the control box, viper module, and to see if I missed the actuators part number somewhere and let you know.

Also how do you upload photos on here? I have photos of the numbers on my actuators I was talking about and would like to show you what I mean.

Edited by TKaus
1 hour ago, TKaus said:

I have had the boat out approx. 8 times since buying it and its been the last 3 times that there has been an issue or at least what I knew to be the issue so I believe it just recently started.  Prior to finding this post and prior to conducting the tests on the water and on the trailer, I initially thought my actuators may be going out so I looked to see what part number they had.  I couldn't find one but I took a photograph of the only number I could find which was "3JFH2" but I couldn't find anything that corresponded to it.  I did see that the new 5-lobe on Malibu's parts site had then number "5JAM2" so I assumed the 5 meant 5 pole and the 3 meant 3 pole.  Anyhow I'll check the boat today for the control box, viper module, and to see if I missed the actuators part number somewhere and let you know.

Also how do you upload photos on here? I have photos of the numbers on my actuators I was talking about and would like to show you what I mean.

You're likely right on the 3 and 5 in the part numbers representing which version the actuators are. As for posting pictures, drag the photo or click "choose file" at the bottom of the text window where you reply to a topic. It will upload the photo and show you a preview of it in the window below. If you are good with it, just click the preview of the picture and it will add it your reply. 

Small update:

I finally received a phone call today from Jason, a Malibu rep.  He confirmed that I still have the 3 pole/lobe actuators and confirmed the 3 pole/lob will will start with the number "3" and the 5 pole/lobe will start with a "5".  He also confirmed the 2011 and up do not have a wedge sensor.  He suggested the following for my issues:

1. Check my software version.  He stated the touchscreen (I assume Maliview) should be version V24 and the Viper module should be version V10.  If they are not he recommend that only a dealer update them.
  2. Although the owners manual says to raise and lower the wedge twice, it should actually be three times.  I don't have high hopes for this as I'm pretty sure I tried this my last trip on the water.
  3. Lastly, if neither option #1 or #2 work, he believes the issue must remain in the control box.  He stated he "must recommend" that I replace the control box and although my 3 lobe actuators still work, to also replace the actuators to 5 lobe.

I can't check my software version yet as my boat is currently getting the windows tinted.  I'm supposed to have it back today so if I do will check and see what version I have.  I will also take it out one more time to try the raise/lower three times.  I'd prefer to avoid option #3 as new actuators and control box will be roughly $1800.00 I believe.

5 hours ago, TKaus said:

Small update:

I finally received a phone call today from Jason, a Malibu rep.  He confirmed that I still have the 3 pole/lobe actuators and confirmed the 3 pole/lob will will start with the number "3" and the 5 pole/lobe will start with a "5".  He also confirmed the 2011 and up do not have a wedge sensor.  He suggested the following for my issues:

1. Check my software version.  He stated the touchscreen (I assume Maliview) should be version V24 and the Viper module should be version V10.  If they are not he recommend that only a dealer update them.
  2. Although the owners manual says to raise and lower the wedge twice, it should actually be three times.  I don't have high hopes for this as I'm pretty sure I tried this my last trip on the water.
  3. Lastly, if neither option #1 or #2 work, he believes the issue must remain in the control box.  He stated he "must recommend" that I replace the control box and although my 3 lobe actuators still work, to also replace the actuators to 5 lobe.

I can't check my software version yet as my boat is currently getting the windows tinted.  I'm supposed to have it back today so if I do will check and see what version I have.  I will also take it out one more time to try the raise/lower three times.  I'd prefer to avoid option #3 as new actuators and control box will be roughly $1800.00 I believe.

That's good information and thanks for sharing. If you check your software versions and they aren't correct, I have zip files containing the correct software for both the touchscreen (V24) and Viper (V10) that a hookup at the dealer provided me when I replaced my touchscreen last year. Updating your software is as simple as putting those files on a thumb drive and plugging it into the USB port under the helm. Feel free to message me your email address and I'd be happy to send you those zip files. As for option #3, you can buy a pair of new actuators from Bakes for $450 and a new control box shouldn't be more than $300-350 and each of these components is very easy to replace yourself. I assume that $1800 number is a quote from the dealer. I went back and forth about trying to replace the actuators on my old 2007 VLX a few years ago but decided to give it a try and it was much easier than anticipated so I'm not hesitating to do the same on my 2011. Having an extra set of hands to help push/pull the wiring through the hull was the best tip I got. The rest is just cut and splice of wiring and some bolts to attach everything back to the wedge. If you want to let the dealer handle it, that's fine but I just wanted to offer up the support to help you save some money and do this yourself if you are so inclined. Just let me know.....good luck!!

I have a failing Power wedge actuator. Wondering if anyone has any old spare 3 lobe actuators where you’ve moved to the 5 lobe actuator. 

I’d be interested in buying your old working and non working actuator. 

thanks,

Lane

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update with my wedge problem but no solutions.  Due to work the past few weeks, yesterday was the first day I was finally able to take the boat out.  I cycled the wedge multiple times like I was recommended to and it never auto calibrated.  I also checked my software and my malivue is V24 and viper is V10 like its supposed to be.  So I guess this means I just need to upgrade the 3 pole to the 5 pole and be done with it.  For now I'm going to leave it alone due to the price.  While on the water yesterday I just left the wedge all the way up and I still had a nice surf wave so I'll get by.

I do wonder though if there may be a different issue with the boat.  Like I mentioned before when I bought it I never had any issues with the wedge.  The 2011 model has no key and due to the known delimitation issue I had the dealer install the back up key that came stock on the 2012 models.  I wonder if doing this somehow caused an issue with the wedge since I didn't have a problem with it before.  I also wonder this because there is one cord that isn't plugged in underneath the steering wheel but I can't trace it to the viper module and I can't even see where it would plug into either.  It's not enough to make me want to take it back into the dealer right now but the next oil change I'll ask them about.

Hey Guys,  I have a 2013 23LSV with wedge actuator problems currently too.  I likely will be in a similar "Boat" as TKaus.   I have been looking around but cant find exactly what I am looking for on the forums.   My wedge problems are that the actuators are running constantly trying to deploy, have to disconnect them at the transom and kill batteries.  Wedge is stuck down, only had a few minutes to evaluate this weekend.  Boat is on a lift so not the end of the world but summer is melting by so I want to get this resolved.  Both wedge up and Wedge down fuses under dash were good.  I did not look around for the I am assuming I can swap a fuse to at least get the wedge retracted by moving it over 1 spot?  I will need to check all my software and viper parts when I am at the boat in a few days.  I believe i have the 5-lobe and remember seeing the number 5 on the actuator part numbers.  Last concern is the touch screen to the right of steering wheel is showing signs of de laminate.  This worries me that over some time i have had a harder and harder time getting the screen to respond (specifically when I am touching over the power wedge area or upper right corner).  I thought I saw somewhere a long time ago that there is a independent guy that repairs these?    Appreciate any insight!

On 6/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, Dannywake23lsv said:

Hey Guys,  I have a 2013 23LSV with wedge actuator problems currently too.  I likely will be in a similar "Boat" as TKaus.   I have been looking around but cant find exactly what I am looking for on the forums.   My wedge problems are that the actuators are running constantly trying to deploy, have to disconnect them at the transom and kill batteries.  Wedge is stuck down, only had a few minutes to evaluate this weekend.  Boat is on a lift so not the end of the world but summer is melting by so I want to get this resolved.  Both wedge up and Wedge down fuses under dash were good.  I did not look around for the I am assuming I can swap a fuse to at least get the wedge retracted by moving it over 1 spot?  I will need to check all my software and viper parts when I am at the boat in a few days.  I believe i have the 5-lobe and remember seeing the number 5 on the actuator part numbers.  Last concern is the touch screen to the right of steering wheel is showing signs of de laminate.  This worries me that over some time i have had a harder and harder time getting the screen to respond (specifically when I am touching over the power wedge area or upper right corner).  I thought I saw somewhere a long time ago that there is a independent guy that repairs these?    Appreciate any insight!

I have not done this but I have read forums about moving the fuse over to raise the wedge so I would give that a try.  Yes the 2011 model was the last year for the 3 pole actuator so you would have the 5 pole.  Also the delamination of the touch screen is obviously a common problem.  To my knowledge I haven't found anywhere on here that says people can fix them.  I do follow multiple threads about it though and as of right now nobody can get a new screen as they're completely out of stock.  Not sure what the hold up is but some guys have said they been waiting 6 months to get a new screen. 

Wow that is a loooooooong time.  Thank you so much for the response.  Any other threads i can follow about this that you recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Wakesetter 247 LSV. I have been reading here and trying to fix a problem with the power wedge. Power wedge stopped working. I was getting wedge down alarm even though it was all the way up. Couldn't calibrate as it wouldn't move in or out of the water. I have checked and run actuators manually and they work. They are 5 lobe, were replaced by the dealer a year ago. Lenco control box is original 3 lobe, but was working. Has puck looking sensor on the wedge. The position sensor always read 66 on calibration screen regardless of position when I ran the actuators manually(I wired in a bypass switch). Thinking this might be the problem I replaced the position sensor. Still no luck getting anything to work correctly. I reset the Maliview viper to factory settings to see if that would help. It didn't. At this point I found the fuse everyone had mentioned in the harness clip under the dash that I overlooked. It was a 15amp fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and hooked everything back up like it was originally thinking I had found the problem. Here is now the issue. Sitting on the trailer in my driveway when I turn the key on the wedge starts moving up on it's own regardless of position. If I press the down MUX button it will go down but as soon as I release the button it starts going back up and the actuators continue to run when its get all the way to the top. My boat doesn't seem to have the over ride fuse positions. See pics. Any ideas what might causing this? Also I have tried calibrating the sensor since replacing the fuse but I can't get the down number below 166 regardless of how I adjust the sensor. I get readings of 166 down and around 488 in the up position. I keep battery charger hooked up the whole time so my voltage readings at gauges in dash are around 13-13.5V Any ideas whats causing the wedge to move up on it's own? Or ways to bring sensor calibration down? It will be appreciated.

Malibu control center (1) - Copy.jpg

Malibu control center - Copy.jpg

I wonder if you could have a stuck MUX button that is causing the wedge to be powered all the time. Not sure how the 2010 is set up but I would try to move the wedge controls to a different position or different MUX switch and see if that does anything.

Might try to unplug the MUX while the wedge is running to see if it stops then.

Took your suggestion and tried moving the switch to different button and unplugging the MUX switch. Neither stops the constant running of the actuators moving up. Got a hold of a 5 lobe lenco control box. This didn't fix either. Starting to think the problem is in the Medallion/Viper(blue) box or the Medallion power box pictured above. Not sure what else it could be at this time.

2 hours ago, Duster88 said:

Took your suggestion and tried moving the switch to different button and unplugging the MUX switch. Neither stops the constant running of the actuators moving up. Got a hold of a 5 lobe lenco control box. This didn't fix either. Starting to think the problem is in the Medallion/Viper(blue) box or the Medallion power box pictured above. Not sure what else it could be at this time.

I had that issue of constant cycling down on my 2008. It was the medallion box under the dash. Mine was stuck down and only stopped when the perko switch was off. Reversed the positive and negative leads in the medallion box for the wedge to get it back up and left one side disconnected to keep it up till the box was replaced. 

1 hour ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

I had that issue of constant cycling down on my 2008. It was the medallion box under the dash. Mine was stuck down and only stopped when the perko switch was off. Reversed the positive and negative leads in the medallion box for the wedge to get it back up and left one side disconnected to keep it up till the box was replaced. 

Was it the blue Medallion\Viper box or the black Medallion power box?

2 hours ago, Duster88 said:

Was it the blue Medallion\Viper box or the black Medallion power box?

Mine was the one you had pictured above with the fuses and two power wedge cables.