Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Malibu 23LSV — Axis T23

Jayp13

Besides the amazing digital setup/cockpit on the Malibu 23LSV, what are the other major differences from the Axis T23? Engine seems the same but maybe I’m missing something. Curious if the actual “nuts and bolts” (hull thickness, ballast pumps, etc) are similar and it’s mostly high-end creature comforts that are the difference. Thanks!

ahopkins22LSV

Hull and structure builds are the same. They don’t put less gel coat, fiberglass or structure in Axis compared to Malibu’s. The interior designs are different, I think the vinyl may be nicer in the Malibu’s. In my opinion the tower is nicer on the Malibu, bimini is better, you get more interior and gel coat color options/patterns. On Axis you can still get the manual auto wedge, or upgrade to PW3. There is other minor things like the standard cup holder in Axis is black plastic, but stainless steel in the Malibu. 

You are right though, engines are the same. So the “core” (build, structure, engine) of the boats are the same. It will come down to personal preference on options after that. I highly suggest going to the dealer and sitting in both. Maybe they can even put them side by side for you. Go through every single compartment and area of the boat. Then take them both on the water for a demo so you can decide if you like the controls on the Axis or the screens on the Malibu better. 

I've never actually priced it out, but a buddy once told me that when you upgrade from "stock" Axis model design and quality to what you might want to have in your boat - motor, PW3, vinyl, stereo, etc. - your goodies included and your out the door price is quite a bit closer to the cost of a "stock" Malibu than an Axis.

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Then take them both on the water for a demo so you can decide if you like the controls on the Axis or the screens on the Malibu better. 

This is actually a selling point for me in favor of Axis.  I am not an overly big fan of all the tech they are putting in boats.  Yes, i will admit that the touch screens are super sexy!  It looks and functions great.  But...what happens a few years down the road when a screen craps out and your warranty has expired.

I have an appreciation for buttons.  Something analog that i can fix if it breaks.  Yes, the Axis line has moved to the "soft button" pads, but they are still an analog input into a control board.  If a button craps out, you might or might not be able to repair it.  But i would certainly think an Axis button pad is cheaper than a Malibu touch screen.

I would love nothing more than to get into a 23LSV or 23MXZ.  But all the fancy computer controls has me gun shy.  When i think of tech in vehicles in general...i always am reminded of an old(er) Lexus my sister had....with a factory car phone built into the center console...and how it became obsolete in just a few years. 

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

This is actually a selling point for me in favor of Axis.  I am not an overly big fan of all the tech they are putting in boats.  Yes, i will admit that the touch screens are super sexy!  It looks and functions great.  But...what happens a few years down the road when a screen craps out and your warranty has expired.

I have an appreciation for buttons.  Something analog that i can fix if it breaks.  Yes, the Axis line has moved to the "soft button" pads, but they are still an analog input into a control board.  If a button craps out, you might or might not be able to repair it.  But i would certainly think an Axis button pad is cheaper than a Malibu touch screen.

I would love nothing more than to get into a 23LSV or 23MXZ.  But all the fancy computer controls has me gun shy.  When i think of tech in vehicles in general...i always am reminded of an old(er) Lexus my sister had....with a factory car phone built into the center console...and how it became obsolete in just a few years. 

Yeah, that is the point I was trying to make. It is a personal preference. I feel an on water demo is the best way to decide which setup you like best.

I am not sure the switches and buttons argument really holds up anymore for Axis.  All the “switches” are just touch pad inputs that feed into a computer.  It is prob a simpler system than the Malibu but def not analog like the early access models.

• Like 2
On 5/19/2020 at 8:40 AM, Texan32 said:

You sound like I did a year ago when I was looking.  I was really gun shy on the tech stuff.  Especially after reading some of the costly parts stories.  I’m glad I fought through it and went with a Malibu because even my 2014 dated screens function great although they do show some age.  There’s plenty of parts out there.  Everything with boats coats a $1000 dollars anyway, honestly if a screen does finally give out I can have a new one installed in my driveway for not too far off from that.  2 wingnuts and 2 plugs and we are back in business without even trailering to the mechanic.   Yep expensive, but totally worth it to have the automated capabilities. For every horror story you read about in here regarding tech there are probably a hundred boats that won’t Ever manifest it.  Good luck.  Imho you can’t go wrong with any modern wake boat brand.

11 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

There’s plenty of parts out there.  Everything with boats coats a $1000 dollars anyway, honestly if a screen does finally give out I can have a new one installed in my driveway for not too far off from that.

Maybe parts for now for a  2014.  But you can expect them to be as rare as hen's teeth soon.  As for screens, this is the one for your boat:  https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-touch-screen-display.html  If you can get it (even uninstalled) for a grand, I'd buy one right now as a spare.

Yeah man I know it’s a $2k part after discounts.  That’s less than two trips to my local Malibu dealers for standard services after I factor in 6 hour round trip driving, time loss from work, etc.  Not a big deal.  The other screen is less than $800 last time I checked.  Also not a big deal.  Another good option would be the screens that members sell on here after insurance claims etc, for much much cheaper than new.  Point being, there’s options that are available to mitigate some of the concerns re tech and in my experience (having recently purchased) the concerns are overblown. 

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Until they are NLA.

Can be said about any part.  🤣 I just saw a member complaining that Malibu’s oem supplier wasn’t supplying windshields anymore for their boat.  If you’re worried about parts availability in 15 years you should probably just buy a Boston whaler.  

57 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

Can be said about any part.  🤣 I just saw a member complaining that Malibu’s oem supplier wasn’t supplying windshields anymore for their boat.  If you’re worried about parts availability in 15 years you should probably just buy a Boston whaler.  

Haha just sold my Boston Whaler last week!