Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter Windshield Disassembly

Has anyone disassembled the window frame on a ‘99 Sunsetter?  Goal is to send the frame off for powder coating and replace all gaskets.  Any advice/suggestions before I bite off on this project is much appreciated.

I think I’ve read it’s fairly straight forward. The hard part is getting it off of the adhesive. Pretty sure there are only a few screws holding it on.

• 3 weeks later...

Well got the frame back from the powder coater, looks great.  Hitting a wall putting it back together.  The rubber seal that goes in the uprights is not staying put.  Does anyone know if it was originally glued to the frame at the factory?

55668876-84B4-433F-B78E-2F62BE3AB967.jpeg

Edited by Setter99

I did this on a 2002 Response LX a few years ago. I had to get the gaskets wet so it would slide together more evenly. The gaskets tended to grab more at different points causing the gasket to be uneven as shown in your picture.  I think I placed the gasket on the glass and then pushed it in the frame.  An extra pair of hands helps to keep it even by holding the gasket back on one side if it tries to go in unevenly.  When I tried to assemble the first piece I thought it would never go back together. Keep trying. You will get it back together. 

That’s how I’m attempting reassembly.  I’ve put the gasket on the glass first and tried to put the channel on after using windex as a lubricant.  The rubber gasket gets distorted as soon as pressure is applied to the channel.  I’m tempted to put drops of adhesive on the edge of the glass to hold the rubber in place during assembly.  Im holding off until I get more input in doing so.

Edited by Setter99

wtf was I thinking taking this apart to powder coat the frame.  This upright will NOT go back on the curved piece of glass. Can’t get Malibu or Taylor to return my messages.  Almost to the point of taking a hammer to it.  Word of advice, anyone on the fence about taking your windshield apart to restore the frame, DON’T do it!  There’s little to no threads on this topic, learn from me, bad idea.

Thanks for the warning. The windshield peeling is a ridiculous for a high dollar boat.

Malibu Customer service is non existent. They are too busy trying to find gadgets for their boats so they can jack the prices up !

3 minutes ago, SkiBum26 said:

Thanks for the warning. The windshield peeling is a ridiculous for a high dollar boat.

Malibu Customer service is non existent. They are too busy trying to find gadgets for their boats so they can jack the prices up !

It's a 1999 boat that is 21 years old and you are upset that Malibu isn't providing support? Would you expect the same from Ford for an issue with a 1999 F-150?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SkiBum26 said:

i have felt this way sometimes too. yes he!!a expensive boat for things to be falling apart. not speaking of the older ones that's expected after a certain age, but I have some gripes about the new boats.   

44 minutes ago, tbullard said:

It's a 1999 boat that is 21 years old and you are upset that Malibu isn't providing support? Would you expect the same from Ford for an issue with a 1999 F-150?

I can still get a windshield for  a 1999 Ford F-150 for just over a hundred bucks installed.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not upset if they can’t provide support, upset they choose not to.  You call and leave a message asking only for the part number I know they have, they choose not to call back.  At least be decent enough to call back.  20+ years ago business couldn’t thrive on that sorryness.  Somehow businesses today can carry on 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Edited by Setter99

I’m envious you have a windshield!

My drivers side shattered during tow.   Oh I found one all right.   From PCMW.  Have to buy the ENTIRE assembly.   Both sides, frame, glass and center hatch.   

Made and shipped from Canada.  

$3500 and 2 months    

2 hours ago, ROFF said:

I’m envious you have a windshield!

My drivers side shattered during tow.   Oh I found one all right.   From PCMW.  Have to buy the ENTIRE assembly.   Both sides, frame, glass and center hatch.   

Made and shipped from Canada.  

$3500 and 2 months    

Yikes!  $3500 USD?  That's like over 5K CAD.  But other than getting a different windshiled, filling the holes etc. what else could you do?

Yea.  Good thing I carried insurance.   

Nothing else you can do really.   I’ve made a pattern to put a piece of plexiglas for a temporary fix.  

I’ll be making and using a cover for the windshield for now on.    Ugh.   

I need to repaint my frame as well.  But the reasons in this thread is the exact reason I won't be pulling it apart to do it "right".  I messed with one section to see how hard it would be and knew it was more trouble than it is worth.  I will do the tape/sand/paint method instead.