Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whining noise at 1000 RPM

We've owned a 2018 20VTX Wakesetter for one year now. 

We have a high pitched whining noise at 1000 RPM (and only at this RPM).  Dealer has told has its just harmonics produced from various items spinning in transmission.  Was told it's quite common and nothing to worry about.  If common, I couldn't find any discussion on this on this website.  Has anyone had this experience? What is causing it? Had it fixed or live with it? 

Bebot

It sounds like prop singing caused by either the leading or trailing edge of the prop.  I’ve had two props over the years that did it at low rpm usually in the 1000-1200 rpm range.  Had them fixed by a local prop shop, if I remember right they simply filed the edge of each blade, it only took about 15 minutes to have done.  First time I took the prop off the boat, second time they did it on the trailer in the parking lot.  

Thank you for this idea. At first the dealer tried to brush it off as simply harmonics but I insisted on a resolution because it's annoying at trolling speed so they forwarded my request to Warranty and their response was coincidentally similar to your experience! File the leading and trailing edge of the "tracking" fins. Is the tracking fin the prop blades? 

It is definitely the prop.  My prop was doing the same thing last summer between 1000 - 1200 rpm.  I hit something in the water and dinged my prop.  Changed my prop and the singing went away.

Edited by Hemmy
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the clarification....I'll push for the prop fins.  As for filing....should I be concerned with getting the prop out of balance if filing is not equal amounts all around? With my prior boat, after hitting a rock, it threw my prop out of balance....which translated vibrations up thru the drive train.

38 minutes ago, BillR said:

Thanks all for the clarification....I'll push for the prop fins.  As for filing....should I be concerned with getting the prop out of balance if filing is not equal amounts all around? With my prior boat, after hitting a rock, it threw my prop out of balance....which translated vibrations up thru the drive train.

Yes, but I don't think you will do that much filing.  Check for any little folds or bends and gently hammer them out (using a dolly or another hammer to buck the blows) and try it again.  If the prop continues to sing, gently file the *back* side of the blades to create a small chamfer.  You might be able to use a stone instead of a file.  Count your strokes and do the same thing on all the blades.  The most important thing is that you only file the back of the blade.

I found this image on the interwebs on a sailing site.  I think the amount of filing here (up to one inch) is very extreme for our props, but the geometry is correct.  You probably don't need much filing at all if the prop is in decent shape.

edgeen.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok folks....following up on this topic....our dealer replaced the tracking fins, the rudder and the prop....and the whining/singing is still there...any other thoughts? 

Yes, it is definitely coming from the boat.  I would be happy to post the sound but having trouble attaching it....can someone help how to post or attach something on this forum? (a short video)

Thank you Boz....here's the sound 

Edited by BillR
26 minutes ago, BillR said:

Yes, it is definitely coming from the boat.  I would be happy to post the sound but having trouble attaching it....can someone help how to post or attach something on this forum? (a short video)

upload to youtube and then post the link

So, when you poke your head in the engine compartment when it is happening, where is the sound coming from?  Pro tip:  plug one ear and move your head relatively slowly.

Does it only happen in gear?  What about reverse?

• 4 months later...

Following-up an update on this so if anyone has a similar issue, this could be relevant info.  The whining noise is finally gone! It was the prop! Even after replacing it with a brand new prop, it took a new and different make (ACME) prop with a slightly different pitch to make it go away.  The dealer (directed by Malibu Corp engineers) went thru quite a series of steps from filing the skeggs, filing the prop fins, checking and re-aligning the prop shaft, replacing the prop with a new one....an ACME prop fixed it! 

Cheers! 

BillR

• 2 years later...
boarderlinewake

I'm having the same issue with my boat had the prop reworked last year when I hit a submerged log now I have the whining at low rpm when In gear

Sounds like prop sing.  Somewhat normal.  While they may have done a good repair, the smallest nick in the propeller can induce this sound until higher power settings.  Pull the prop this fall and either take it back to the shop or gently use a file to take down any roughness.