Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advanced help on Ignition

Engine replacement has been fighting me. I have some sort of ignition gremlin I cant figure out. 

The engine barely runs and if I give it any gas it dies. Also when it starts the starter is still cranking, I believe that's related to timing. 

I have confirmed that the TDC on compression stroke the rotor is on #1 on the Distributor

Firing order is correct, Wire/Cap/rotor are new. 

Confirmed that the timing chain and cam dots line up. 

Fuel pressure checks good. 

I am at a total loss, I had this problem when I first dropped the engine in and figured out I had a timing chain/Relector ring/Cam sensor issues. That is fixed, or atleast back to factory with new parts. Timing chain kit that came with the engine pushed the reluctor ring out to far. I put a new timing chain kit that matched the one in the orginal engine. 

Is this down to the computer being out of wack with timing that it wont run? Need to utilize diacom or dealer?

I dont see how but can the distributor be in wrong? The original factory blue marks line up. 

I don't remember since you have created a new thread, but have you verified timing with a timing light?

Are you sure that all of the engine power and grounds are connected?

Have you double checked the mating of the cannon plug?

Either something is not hooked up or you have a poor connection.  Digital systems don't like to have signals that aren't referenced to their ground.

Engine isn’t running well enough to get a time.  I know you can’t adjust timing with this engine, have to use diacom to adjust. 

I Double/triple checked all connections. I cleaned all the grounds before hooking back up. I have 4 wires plus the main engine ground all connected to the bell housing. I’ll check those again.

i don’t think it has a cannon plug, 1 plug ECM Indmar started in 2009. 

I think I have myself convinced I have the distributor off, one tooth off. I’m going to reinstall it again using https://www.diyforums.net/install-chevy-4.3l-5.7l-vortec-distributor-1065.html

if that doesn’t solve it, I guess I’m going to the dealer....

soo frustrating, I have been messing around with stuff with motors since I was 15. I have done just about everything a few times, this has been the most frustrating one ever for me. 

I think you can check base timing.  You should be able to find the ECM manual online to figure out how to put it in service mode, hopefully with a jumper.

@mgb1974 - Your symptoms comment does sound like an ignition timing issue, and in my opinion very retarded (but don't hold me to that).  You might have to check that the crank pulley mark is indeed TDC (unlikely but worth a check) and then as you note, getting the distributor properly aligned.  I highly doubt that the camshaft gear is mis-marked but another check could be opening / closing timing of camshaft.  Grounds, proper power are as noted, items to verify.   

12 hours ago, justgary said:

I think you can check base timing.  You should be able to find the ECM manual online to figure out how to put it in service mode, hopefully with a jumper.

Is there maybe something like the spout connector on Fox-body Mustangs?

What about disabling the fuel system (so the ignition works, but it won't try to start) and have someone hold the key turning over while you use a timing light?  Wouldn't that give you a base reading (before the computer takes over timing advance)?

4 hours ago, Texan32 said:

Is there maybe something like the spout connector on Fox-body Mustangs?

What about disabling the fuel system (so the ignition works, but it won't try to start) and have someone hold the key turning over while you use a timing light?  Wouldn't that give you a base reading (before the computer takes over timing advance)?

Everything I have seen for the new ECM's you need DIACOM software to put it in service mode. I just ordered the software today since I figured I will need it no matter what.