Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge fuse keeps blowing

Hey guys, recently picked up a 2010 vlx and I am have issues with the power wedge. It keeps blowing the 20amp inline fuse for it. I’ll drop the wedge down then try to bring it back up and the fuse blows every single time. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Recommended fix?  Thanks! 

Edited by taylormade87

Had the same issue with my ‘13 VTX last summer on our holiday (of course), got wedge back into stowed position and disabled so it wouldn’t get stuck down.  Replaced both actuators at the end of the season sourcing parts from Hodges Marine in FL (2x The cost to source them at home in Canada).  Not that hard as a DIY job, some great step by step threads on here.  

Greeted this season with a surfgate actuator that must have had water in it and froze, pushed the plastic end cap right out of the extension arm. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kojak said:

Any idea when/if the actuators have been replaced? My 06 did the exact same thing when one of them went out.  Replaced both actuators and problem solved.

Thank for the info! It doesn’t even have a 100hrs on the boat yet so I’m sure the actuators haven’t been replaced. Bakes would probably be the best place to go for ordering the actuators huh? I’ll have to give the forum a search for some instructions on on installing them. 

8 minutes ago, taylormade87 said:

Thank for the info! It doesn’t even have a 100hrs on the boat yet so I’m sure the actuators haven’t been replaced. Bakes would probably be the best place to go for ordering the actuators huh? I’ll have to give the forum a search for some instructions on on installing them. 

I ordered mine from Bake's. It's not too difficult of a repair. Only took me a couple of hours and I didn't have any help.

Make sure you replace both of them. It's not recommended to only replace one. 

Edited by Kojak
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I ordered mine from Bake's. It's not too difficult of a repair. Only took me a couple of hours and I didn't have any help.

Make sure you replace both of them. It's not recommended to only replace one. 

Any idea if my 2010 has the 3 lobe or 5 lobe actuators? Reading on bakes, they only sell 5 lobe actuators and if I currently have 3 lobe, I’d have to upgrade the computer as well if I got the 5 lobe. 

1 hour ago, taylormade87 said:

Any idea if my 2010 has the 3 lobe or 5 lobe actuators? Reading on bakes, they only sell 5 lobe actuators and if I currently have 3 lobe, I’d have to upgrade the computer as well if I got the 5 lobe. 

I installed the five lobe and didn't need to upgrade the computer. It worked just fine. 

You could call Bake's and ask. They have great customer service. 

22 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I installed the five lobe and didn't need to upgrade the computer. It worked just fine. 

You could call Bake's and ask. They have great customer service. 

Sweet, appreciate all the info man!