Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Predictions and model changes

bcoppess23

On 5/16/2020 at 8:55 AM, bcoppess23 said:

Desire: Walk over expanded through more model

Every year this same wish comes up in this thread and every year I say the same thing...

Don't hold your breath. 

3 hours ago, 1107 said:

I heard the 23LSV is up for a remodel along with the 22 and 24 MXZ's.  

Highly unlikely they will redesign the 23 LSV for 2021. The current design has only been in place three years (since 2018). 

19 hours ago, IXFE said:

Every year this same wish comes up in this thread and every year I say the same thing...

Don't hold your breath. 

If it keeps coming up why do they refuse to address it. There only recent attempt at it, were those stupid hard pads on the seat and sunpad on the 2018 LSV. Those things were terrible. Don't see why a walk through couldn't be an option on all the traditional bow boats.  All these boats are is options, options, options!

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, Chappy said:

If it keeps coming up why do they refuse to address it. There only recent attempt at it, were those stupid hard pads on the seat and sunpad on the 2018 LSV. Those things were terrible. Don't see why a walk through couldn't be an option on all the traditional bow boats.  All these boats are is options, options, options!

Because that would add two top deck molds for each model, two vinyl cut patterns, two pad cut patterns, two different build processes, etc, etc. Could it be done? Sure, but then we'd just be reading about how crazy the cost is for the option!

@IXFE and @ahopkinsVTX I see your points but I know there are some very smart engineers at Bu that could figure out a way to do this as option using some sort of a modular top shell. Would it be expensive probably, but there are a ton of expensive options on these boats that people would pay for.  Personally I prefer the MXZ so this isn't an issue for me.  This just seems to come up every year and it seems like a lot people want it but don't want to go with the MXZ to get it.

Also, @IXFE triggered? Not sure where you made the jump that I expect every option on every boat and I expect it to happen immediately. Did I say that?

Also, not buying your account of why they put the "lily pads" that boat.  That was clearly a half-assed attempt to address the walkthrough crowd. It didn't work out and that is OK, they tend to hit the mark more than they miss but they did miss on that one.

Edited by Chappy
  • Like 2
On 5/19/2020 at 12:06 PM, hunter77ah said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-mbuu-earnings-conference-231056427.html

Jack said 4 new Malibu boats.  Not sure if this is just Malibu or Malibu and Axis.   22 and 24 MXZ are likely candidates.  Not sure on the remaining 2.

I wonder if there will be a T25 finally? 🤞

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Chappy said:

@IXFE and @ahopkinsVTX I see your points but I know there are some very smart engineers at Bu that could figure out a way to do this as option using some sort of a modular top shell. Would it be expensive probably, but there are a ton of expensive options on these boats that people would pay for.  Personally I prefer the MXZ so this isn't an issue for me.  This just seems to come up every year and it seems like a lot people want it but don't want to go with the MXZ to get it.

Also, @IXFE triggered? Not sure where you made the jump that I expect every option on every boat and I expect it to happen immediately. Did I say that?

Also, not buying your account of why they put the "lily pads" that boat.  That was clearly a half-assed attempt to address the walkthrough crowd. It didn't work out and that is OK, they tend to hit the mark more than they miss but they did miss on that one.

Just because somebody gives a thoughtful, detailed answer doesn’t mean they’re angry. I actually tried to keep it short and sweet with my first answer. But that wasn’t good enough for you either. 

Look I don't have a crystal ball; maybe someday we will see a change here, I just don’t see it being an option as you suggest.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I’m still rooting for a 27 LSV :rockon:

I still love the idea of a 27 LSV, but lets be realistic, why don't they just rebrand a big Cobalt, drop in twin v-drives and call it a real game changer, take an A-40, add a tower and a bunch of gator step, a stereo, and we can write it off a second home.....

59 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I still love the idea of a 27 LSV, but lets be realistic, why don't they just rebrand a big Cobalt, drop in twin v-drives and call it a real game changer, take an A-40, add a tower and a bunch of gator step, a stereo, and we can write it off a second home.....

Yeah, I’m only half serious. While I do think there’s room in Malibu’s lineup for a bigger boat, I’m sure in this environment the bean counters at Malibu might disagree. 

49 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Yeah, I’m only half serious. While I do think there’s room in Malibu’s lineup for a bigger boat, I’m sure in this environment the bean counters at Malibu might disagree. 

That's why i say, repurpose something they already build and own, that is a tremendous hull.

Only downside to going much bigger is most of us aren't going to trailer something that size.

49 minutes ago, asnowman said:

That's why i say, repurpose something they already build and own, that is a tremendous hull.

Only downside to going much bigger is most of us aren't going to trailer something that size.

I am intrigued by a Cobalt surf monster. I’ve actually never owned an I/O. I jumped right into inboards. 

48 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I am intrigued by a Cobalt surf monster. I’ve actually never owned an I/O. I jumped right into inboards. 

They have a series of boats that "surf" based on volvo penta drives, but even the R7, which is 27'6" does not throw the quality of wake that a 23 lsv does. What all the cobalts to exceptionally well is handle rough water and chop.  An A40 line converted to a v-drive surf boat would create an absurd wake. Some (like me) wouldn't be able to consider it though.

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

I've spent a lot of time on a Cobalt 27SS.  Really fantastic boat.  Really mediocre surf boat.

Give Cobalt and Malibu a design cycle now with Surfgates and I bet things change. I surfed an R7 and the push was really good - just no length. An R30 with gates and an R&D cycle could easily be what we all want in a few years, unless they decide they need to keep Malibu as the differentiated king of surf. 

Better and bigger Integrated cooler would be awesome. I feel like the coolers suck in all these boats. Or maybe it’s just me. 

• Like 1

New for 2021, they will be changing from Zipties left in boats to PPE. (Come on QA haters... I know you think this is funny!)

In all seriousness, I will place my wager on a new TXi and a new 21VLX.  It has been sometime now for the budget 21VLX... would be interesting to see what comes from that update. I know they will do more than that, but I have lost track of when things were getting updated.  I think the T22 is getting close to a refresh time too, maybe the A24 as well.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

New for 2021, they will be changing from Zipties left in boats to PPE. (Come on QA haters... I know you think this is funny!)

In all seriousness, I will place my wager on a new TXi and a new 21VLX.  It has been sometime now for the budget 21VLX... would be interesting to see what comes from that update. I know they will do more than that, but I have lost track of when things were getting updated.  I think the T22 is getting close to a refresh time too, maybe the A24 as well.

wasn't T22 refreshed in 19? and A24?

Edited by shawndoggy
6 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I just pulled the leftover ties in a buddy’s boat out that were clogging his bilge pump.  

This is a right of passage.

• Like 3

Seeing some talk on the FB group about the 2021 23 LSV having a walkthrough now. That group’s not usually the most reliable source but this rumor actually may have legs since it’s from a demo customer.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:45 PM, IXFE said:

Highly unlikely they will redesign the 23 LSV for 2021. The current design has only been in place three years (since 2018). 

Heard the 2021 23 lsv will have walk through transom 🙄🙄🙄

Edited by agarabaghi