Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

178 too hot?

We pulled the boat out of the water, and forgot to turn off the engine. Dumb, I realize, but the ramp was loud and we did not notice for a bit. When we did the temp guage was showing 178. Is there anything I should check today? Engine is a Monsoon 410. Thanks!

Just a few minutes, you'll be fine.  If you really think you need to, change the impeller.  Pretty sure most of us have done that at least once.

6 minutes ago, efjeld said:

Just a few minutes, you'll be fine.  If you really think you need to, change the impeller.  Pretty sure most of us have done that at least once.

Good to hear other folks have done it, but damn you feel stupid tieing down when you say "Whose motor is that, wait.... mine"

9 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Raptor 410? I think those thermostats are set at 170?

What does it mean that the thermostats are set at 170?

The thermostat opens at 170 degrees.  At this point it opens and starts water flowing through the full cooling system. Before it opens it is pushing through the exhaust cooling not the engine. 

26 minutes ago, Sixball said:

The thermostat opens at 170 degrees.  At this point it opens and starts water flowing through the full cooling system. Before it opens it is pushing through the exhaust cooling not the engine. 

Ahh. thanks. I dont see the engine get above 168 normally, even when surfing so i would assume it opens lower?

@bkearney -  178 is not too hot if block / heads are full of water.  I would check the impeller, easier to do on trailer than once out cruising. 

The question is did it read 178 on its way up or after it got hot and boiled all the water. and was reading air temp.  You will have to be critical of yourself on how long you let it run.  Not long and there is / was still water in block you should be okay with an impeller check, if a relatively long time and the water did boil out, then some more checks will need to be done.  

Edited by Woodski
3 hours ago, Woodski said:

@bkearney -  178 is not too hot if block / heads are full of water.  I would check the impeller, easier to do on trailer than once out cruising. 

The question is did it read 178 on its way up or after it got hot and boiled all the water. and was reading air temp.  You will have to be critical of yourself on how long you let it run.  Not long and there is / was still water in block you should be okay with an impeller check, if a relatively long time and the water did boil out, then some more checks will need to be done.  

I dont think it was more than 3-4 minutes. From the ramp to the tie down, so I am gonna guess it had not gone higher. But, now I need to read up on how to check an impeller.