Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for HDS Leak repair advice

We dumped our 98' Sunsetter direct drive in the lake for the first time last weekend and were lucky enough to be a victim of the HDS leak.  Prior to this I had no idea what an HDS was or how common the issue seems to be.  I have read through a variety of previous topics with some great ideas and fixes, however, I'm looking for some answers on a few things before I start the repair.  

Plan - re-fiberglass the perimeter of the box: 

1. Test to confirm it is an HDS leak - Complete 
    1. Installed plugs
    2. Fill bilges with water in driveway
    3. Water leaked from where the prop shaft enters the hull
  2. Remove lid - Complete
    1. Dry the inside of the hds
    2. Re-fill bilges with water to test again and found out it is leaking in the back of the box 
  3. Clean the surface (The previous owner had a dealer (Non-Malibu) repair the HDS and it looks like they just siliconed the heck out of it) 
    1. Dremel with brush bits, Plastic bristle brush, Acetone
  4. Fiberglass
    1. West System 105,  2" and 4" Cloth (3-4 layers) 

Questions:

1. How did Malibu attach the HDS from the factory?  If they used an adhesive on the seam, will that prevent the fiberglass from adhering? Should I grind that down and then glass? 
  2. What product to seal the strut bolts? 3M 4200?
  3. What product to seal the lid?  Marine grade silicone? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DataCowboy
Clarifications
On 5/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, DataCowboy said:

We dumped our 98' Sunsetter direct drive in the lake for the first time last weekend and were lucky enough to be a victim of the HDS leak.  Prior to this I had no idea what an HDS was or how common the issue seems to be.  I have read through a variety of previous topics with some great ideas and fixes, however, I'm looking for some answers on a few things before I start the repair.  

Plan - re-fiberglass the perimeter of the box: 

1. Test to confirm it is an HDS leak - Complete 
    1. Installed plugs
    2. Fill bilges with water in driveway
    3. Water leaked from where the prop shaft enters the hull
  2. Remove lid - Complete
    1. Dry the inside of the hds
    2. Re-fill bilges with water to test again and found out it is leaking in the back of the box 
  3. Clean the surface (The previous owner had a dealer (Non-Malibu) repair the HDS and it looks like they just siliconed the heck out of it) 
    1. Dremel with brush bits, Plastic bristle brush, Acetone
  4. Fiberglass
    1. West System 105,  2" and 4" Cloth (3-4 layers) 

Questions:

1. How did Malibu attach the HDS from the factory?  If they used an adhesive on the seam, will that prevent the fiberglass from adhering? Should I grind that down and then glass? 
  2. What product to seal the strut bolts? 3M 4200?
  3. What product to seal the lid?  Marine grade silicone? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I like your plan.  If you get everything clean and wipe it with acetone, you should not have any problems with adhesion.

Yes, 4200 for the strut.  I would go ahead and use the 4200 on the HDS lid as well.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...