Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Slip Sizes

uhlenkott

I am looking at a boat slip that is 18 feet long. I own a 21 foot Wakesetter. There are rumors that I can fit my boat within the 18 foot slip due to a 'common rule' that allows boats to take up a foot of space over the dock on the bow and than protrude 2 feet into the marina. Has anyone else heard of this rule?
Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, John I. said:

How much do you trust every other boater in the marina? 

:plus1:  Also I would want some space to let the boat move in the slip. You don't want to tie it down so tight it can't move.  When we had had our sail boat it got hit by the guy on the other side backing out of his slip. We has a 42' in a 50 foot slip and people still managed to get inside of our slip. 

Each marina probably has its own set of overhang rules anyways based on the layout of their docks.  If that is your only option, go try to test fit it.  More than likely your sunpad will be right under the slip’s roofline, assuming it is covered.  In that scenario water sheets off the roof right into the boat.  The cover can help and it is doable but a longer slip would definitely be better.  

ahopkins22LSV

FWIW, this is very common for bigger boats. At least in the marinas around here. Friends 46 sea ray was in a 45’ well but the LOA with the swim platform was 50-52 ish. Never had any problems. Just depends on the setup of the marina. A big open aisle and I’d probably be ok with it, backing in. But if it’s super tight I’d probably keep looking. Depends on what is available too.