Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boating Safety

Headhunter 2317

I approach it this way. I AM CAPTAIN OF THIS BOAT. I MAKE THE RULES OF THIS BOAT. YOU WILL FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE BOAT. THESE RULES ARE NOT NEGOTIABLE. I saw an accident on Lake Lanier back in the early 90's that could have easily been prevented had the driver been in charge. It really made me think. A guy fell out of the bow of this Chapparal (most likely drinking) and nearly got run over by his own boat driver. There are way too many ways to get hurt on the water. I get called "Mr. Safety" but everyone that comes with us knows that there is no messing around when it comes to that.

Am I the only Boat Nazi?

Can't say w/out understanding what your rules are. By stating that you are in charge, you may just be bossy but have unsafe rules Tease2.gif

I have a rule that if any crap blows out of the boat, if that jetsam is recoverable, the owner now gets to wear it - doesn't make my boat any safer (other than creating incentives to keep stuff stowed away) but I do set the rules in the boat..

We don't go out with people who would "break" any rules. So we don't usually have to tell anyone our rules except for young children of course and the occasional "keep your hands in the boat" as we are coming into the dock. I might ask for someone to take off their shoes if they look dirty or if they could tear up the interior but other then that we go out with pretty knowledgeable and safe people who know not to be stupid.

Headhunter 2317: its your boat you have total control over what happens and if someone doesn't like it then they don't have to go boating with you ever again. But if you are finding yourself not being able to get anyone to come out on the boat with you, you might want to rethink your boat rules Biggrin.gif

Back in '92 I took a spill out of the bow of my buddy's Chapparal on Lake Lanier. I almost got turned into ground beef by the prop. Of course I was considerably drunk by that time (8:30 am) so I probably wouldn't have felt much. Anyhoo, ever since then, I've become much more aware of boating safety and when I get "black-out drunk" on the boat I make sure that I'm hooked to my harness and I'm wearing the orange arm floaties. :)

If that ever happend to me I think that I would give up either the alcohol or the boating Shocking.gif seeing as how I don't drink though (not that there is anything wrong with it, I don't want to start an arguement) I would stick with the boating and aviod the prop

How many of these stories have alcohol involved? Thats one of the rules that I get the most crap about. No booze on the boat. If they don't like the rule they can stay on shore.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely nuts. But I have been surprised by the number of people who do not know much about being safe around the water and the boat.

Edited by Headhunter 2317
How many of these stories have alcohol involved? Thats one of the rules that I get the most crap about.  No booze on the boat.  If they don't like the rule they can stay on shore.

:( If I didn't have my own ride, I would just have to find a new to boat to whore on with that rule. Biggrin.gif

I think a lot of accidents could be avoided with one simple rule:

When the engine is running, butts are planted!! Period. Not negotiable!!

Of course, getting in the winter slalom sets with just myself and two other seasoned boaters/skiers on board that rule might get bent just a tad but not when kids are on board.

I have that same rule. The one I have for the CFO while she pulls me is that she cannot talk to other passengers. I had to get on her once when she was pulling a friend of mine. It scared her and she saw that she was not paying as much attention to the rider as she should have.

Never had to say another word.

it's my boat and it's my rules. When anyone new is on board, I recite the main safety rules, and for the most part, they obey. It's too easy for someone to get hit or drown out there, we need the rules.

BTW - no alcohol on my boat - ever.

Yahoo.gif

Rule 1: The Captain is always right.

Rule 2: When the Captain is wrong, follow Rule 1.

I have to agree.

Shoe's off out side the boat and go's into a bag.

OOO YA a new one after this last weekend.

If your late for the ride and leave early then you buy all the beer next time. Tease2.gif and serve the captain his drinks for the day. Yahoo.gif

OOO YA a new one after this last weekend.

If your late for the ride and leave early then you buy all the beer next time.  Tease2.gif  and serve the captain his drinks for the day. Yahoo.gif

Crap - I resemble that comment... Cry.gif ... I was such a dork. How 'bout I throw a party at my [parents] place, and invite you Biggrin.gif

And I'll definitely have some beers for you!

man was I embarrassed :(

My two rules:

Rule 1:

If you're late: Enjoy the view from the dock...unless you are the only other driver Whistling.gif

If I'm late: Tough luck, try boarding without a boat.

Rule 2:

The person who paid for the boat gets the first set.

How 'bout I throw a party at my [parents] place, and invite you  Biggrin.gif

And I'll definitely have some beers for you!

Sounds good to me. I have no friends so could you tell every one I'm your friend at the party ;) . What about the use of the jet ski Thumbup.gif

Yea - the SeaDoo is gassed and ready to roll. Those that have wakeskates could even get pulled behind the SeaDoo if they like... assuming they could find a brave sole to ride backwards to observe. that is a bit of a crazy seat, though there is the pylon to hang onto

The seadoo is fun - and quite stable.. ie; you can ride hard and not get wet

Rule one, if you don't know exactly what your doing or sober enough to get it done, don't do it, we'll let you know when class starts.

My two rules:

Rule 1:

If you're late: Enjoy the view from the dock...unless you are the only other driver  Whistling.gif

If I'm late: Tough luck, try boarding without a boat.

Rule 2:

The person who paid for the boat gets the first set.

I like these rules

The other thing that scares the cr@p out of me sometimes is the guy on the end of the rope going too close to the shore. Drive further out I guess but not always possible on a smaller Lake and especially when coming back to shore.

Once I had a guy hanging out in a whip, trying to impress his babe on the beach as I was bringing him back to shore. I knew that a concrete launching ramp was coming up and it was impossible to attract his attention (he was so intent on making a lasting impression). I slowed to a crawl and tried to gradually move away from the shore without whipping him. The more I tried, the harder he tried to walk on water, until the inevitable..

Uncool..

Ultimately, the owner or driver is responsible for his/her actions while driving. Just as on the road.

I would have a hard time living with myself if something happened to someone on my boat because of negligence or stupidity. Even if I was not driving. There are no "redo's"

I rarely allow alcohol on our boat and if there is, a non driving passenger brought it with them for the ride.