Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer protection from rock chips?

7lazy77

Any suggestions on how to protect trailers from rock chips?  When I was waxing the boat the other day, I noticed several rock chips on the trailer.  Living in an area that gravels roads in the winter, it is bound to happen.  Is there a product like Gator Step that would withstand the road abuse, but also isn't permanent?  Just would like to protect the trailer paint finish.  What are 'crew members doing to protect their trailers?

Edited by 7lazy77
5 minutes ago, tbullard said:

I have a version of these - it's nice that I can only have them on while towing.  One issue I've had is exhaust.  My GMC exhaust pointed too far back and melted the flap.  My Ford exhaust goes out the side, and it's perfect.

Sorry, about the above, clicked the wrong comment to quote.

• 1 year later...

I use rock tamers as well.  I'll be added 3M film to my next boat trailer.  It's an inexpensive solution to protect the paint from rock chips.  

Regardless, I remain disappointed in the Malibu trailers.  My 2021 is all rusted already.  It didn't live out in the elements and didn't get in the water much.  It seems to be in worse shape than my 2017 was after 4 years of use. 

• Like 2

I'm always more upset about the rock chips in the gelcoat...  I can touch up the trailer with spray paint.  I have been using a TowTector.  I'm sure it helps, but it can't stop every rock. 

I know they are dorky, but I wondered if something like this might also be good at protecting the boat (and the trailer):  

https://www.rockgard.com/

https://www.trailer-rockguard.com/products/

Edited by SurfNAZ